mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Setting Up Motif XS 8 Remote Control with Cubase 7.5"

Posted on: June 08, 2014 @ 07:38 AM
mq007
Total Posts:  13
Joined  06-11-2010

Hello!

I have some problems setting up Remote Control Mode with my Motif XS 8 to Cubase 7.5.

I currently have a usb cable attached from my Motif XS 8 to my computer and I installed Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver for Windows® 8/7/Vista/XP 64bit (V.3.1.3). I am running 64 bit Cubase. As shown in the attachment picture, I have my device setup set as what the manual told me.

It seems like my motif xs is not connected. I’m sorry if I missed any steps. I followed the manual on pg 51 and when I move the faders or knobs on my XS, the Mix console faders in Cubase does not seem to move at all.

I just want to use my faders and knobx for panning and volume adjusting.

Image Attachments
motif xs setup.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2014 @ 10:03 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

You should be able to select the Motif XS as your REMOTE DEVICE

http://www.motifator.com/storage/support/AI4_USB_WinXP_img_2.jpg

Click on the “+” mark and ADD the Motif XS to your listed REMOTE DEVICES…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2014 @ 10:28 AM
mq007
Joined  06-11-2010

Unfortunately, I do not have that option. Here is another pic of the list that I have currently.

Image Attachments
Motif xs setup 2.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2014 @ 12:23 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Perhaps you forgot to download and install the “Motif XS Extension v1.6.1”

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2014 @ 01:32 PM
mq007
Joined  06-11-2010

Ah Yes, I didn’t install that. Now that I did, I restarted my computer and again it does not show motif xs 8 on the screen. I’m sorry :’(

I forgot to mention that I am using a usb cable and not an firewire cable to connect my motif xs to the computer. I’m not sure if that could be the problem.

Here is the pic as of now.

Image Attachments
motif xs setup 3.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2014 @ 04:51 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

No, USB is fine - (it is obvious you are using USB from the name and number of Ports shown).

While you are at it you need to unmark all devices that are NOT going to generate input to your MIDI Tracks in the “IN ALL MIDI INPUTS” column. If your only keyboard controller is the Motif XS then only the “Yamaha Motif XS8-1” (Port 1) should be marked. All other Ports should remain unmarked in that column.

The next screenshot we need is as follows:
Go to DEVICES > PLUG-IN INFORMATION > Program Plug-ins tab

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2014 @ 10:09 PM
mq007
Joined  06-11-2010

Okay Bad Mister!

I’ve unchecked the unnecessary midi ports and only activated the motif xs port 1.

Here is the picture that you’ve asked. I hoped that I haven’t missed anything :)

Image Attachments
motif xs setup 4.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 09, 2014 @ 06:38 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

As you can see you have the wrong Extension. The Motif-Rack XS Extension is for the Motif-Rack XS exclusively. Please return to http://download.yamaha.com and download and install the ”Motif XS Extension v1.6.1”

The Rack XS is a completely different product which is the cause of your problem -the Rack XS cannot act as a Remote Control device as it lacks the front panel to do so. Besides Cubase doesn’t find a Rack XS connected.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 09, 2014 @ 10:19 AM
mq007
Joined  06-11-2010

Thank you! I’m very sorry. That was a very stupid mistake of mine! Okay. Now that I’ve downloaded the right version, restarted my computer, I’ve tried to setup as suggested in the manual using port 2 and as you said checking only the only midi boxes that I need. Here are the 3 pictures that I tried to setup, however I think I maybe missing something again. Sorry :(

If I am correct, if installed properly, the faders screen on the motif xs screen will have names on it, but as shown in picture 4, it does not.

Edit: When I press on the F2 for mixer, it seems that I can not highlight it as an aqua color whereas if I press SF5 (Page List) it highlights it and pops up a new menu. I don’t know if that info might be helpful.

Image Attachments
motif xs setup.pngmotif xs setup 2.pngmotif xs setup 3.pngmotif xs setup 4.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 09, 2014 @ 12:19 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Sorry, wrong again, the port you want to mark in the “In ALL MIDI Input” column, again is port 1, NOT Port 2 as in your first screen shot. PORT 1, here’s why: that “In All MIDI Input” is the place you select the input for music data to the tracks of Cubase. By the way, I made no mention of the Visible column you are doing things I did not instruct you… Visible or not is not really important, you can leave everything visible… I only mentioned the critical setting in the “In All MIDI Input” column and that only Port 1 should be marked. If I wanted you to clear that Visible column, I would have said so specifically.

Port 2 is for Remote Control of Cubase as you already have properly set in the Remote Devices folder.

http://www.motifator.com/storage/support/AI4_USB_WinXP_img_1.jpg

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 09, 2014 @ 10:40 PM
mq007
Joined  06-11-2010

I’m sorry for not clearly following your instructions. Okay so now that I fixed my mistake, it seems to be still not working. I apologize for taking so much of your time :’(

Image Attachments
motif xs setup.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 10, 2014 @ 02:27 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Okay, so now let’s double check your Motif XS setup

Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] CONTROL
Press [SF1] REMOTE
Make sure you are set to “CUBASE”

Press [SF2] MIDI
Make sure you are set to “MIDI IN/OUT = USB”

Follow up question:
Did the “Yamaha Motif XS” show up in Cubase in the REMOTE DEVICES folder?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 10, 2014 @ 06:55 AM
mq007
Joined  06-11-2010

Wow Bad Mister, you’re wonderful! Thank you very much! I got it working! Once again, I apologize deeply for such a long follow up. Thank you for your patience!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 10, 2014 @ 09:29 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

No problem. Enjoy!

[ Ignore ]