mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Assigning Knobs to control volume on individual voices in a layered performance"

Posted on: May 21, 2014 @ 08:02 AM
schmura
Total Posts:  11
Joined  05-15-2014

My recently purchased MOX8 is the “stand-in” for my S90XS which is just too damned heavy!  So one of the features of the S90 (and others) I am trying to replicate is volume control of individual voices in a layered performance.  Out-of-the-box that is easily done with the S90 sliders.  With a little research, I found that it is possible to assign any or all of 8 knobs of the MOX8 to do that.  I found a paper with steps on how to do that, but could not get through them successfully.  I contacted Yamaha Support who told me in order for this to work, you must “wipe out” your master mode, i.e. initialize.  (What?? Really??).  I was sent this link with all the steps required.  http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/index/id/7791/?search_query=assign volume&current_page_id=1

There was a prompt along the way, (I believe step 8 or 9) to reset master mode.  Enter Yes Exit No.  I was still in the process of setting the master mode and had not yet made a back-up, so being unsure of how this would play out did not continue.  In fact, “Exit No” did nothing.  I could not back out of the process.  I had to shut the MOX8 off and reboot.  So I am wondering if anyone has actually done this successfully and if so what effect there was (if any) on your settings in the master mode.  (Or if anyone with an MOX8 would be willing to test this.) I am assuming that many use that mode as I do; that is to organize and store voices and performances conveniently for quick access during live playing.  Oh and here’s another quote from the Yamaha support “tech”.  “Yes you do have to initialize all your master mode settings.  Yamaha does not recommend overwriting the factory default user banks.  That’s Yamaha 101”.  What??? Are you kidding me???

If the link above doesn’t work for you, here are the steps from that page

Thanks in advance for any and all advice or suggestions!

Assigning Volume to the 4 Control Knobs.
•
Back to the list

Last Update: 09/18/2013
NOTE: MASTER mode will be required in order to assign volume to the 4 knobs of the top row to simulate volume control in Performance mode. The PERFORMANCE data will be used in a SONG TEMPLATE.

1. Press the [SONG] button.

2. Select a blank SONG location (number).

3. Press the [MIXING] button.

4. Press [F4] TEMPLATE.

NOTE: Copying a Performance, to a SONG MIXING template, assigns each PART to its own MIDI channel. This allows each of the Knobs of the top row (in master mode) to control volume for each part.

5. Press the [SF2] button for the PERFORM tab.

6. Select a performance (i.e. USR 1:079 Lake Side).

7. Set the ‘Target’ for PARTs “1-4”.

8. Press the [ENTER] button to execute.

NOTE: This will place the Piano (from Lake Side) in PART 1/Ch1, and the Pad in PART 2/Ch2.

9 . Press the [STORE] button

10. Press the [MASTER] button.

11. Press the [JOB] button.

12. Press the [ENTER] button.

13. Press the [YES] button.

14. Press the [F2] button for the MEMORY tab.

15. Set the ‘MODE’ = SONG.

16. Assign the song number (selected in step 2) to Memory.

17. Press the [F3] button for ZONE SW.

18. Set the ‘ZONE Switch’ = ON.

19. Confirm ‘ZONE KNOB’ is also set to ON.

20. Press the [EDIT] button.

21. Using the 1-16 buttons, press the number [ 1 ] button to edit ZONE 1.

22. Press the [F1] button for TRANS.

23. Set ZONE 1 TransCH to 1.

24. Set ZONE 1 INT SW = ON.

25. Set ZONE 2 TransCH to 2.

26. Set ZONE 2 INT SW = ON.

27. Press the [STORE] button.

28. Press the [ENTER] button.

29. Press the [YES] button.

Now a template has been created, in SONG MASTER mode, that allows the knobs of the top row to be used as part volume controls for parts 1 thru 4.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 21, 2014 @ 09:03 AM
jazz.preest
Total Posts:  263
Joined  06-06-2013

Worth while reading through this article: Understanding Master Mode: MOX6/MOX8

Clearly describes, when in MASTER mode and pointing to a SONG or PATTERN, how to use the ZoneKnob switch: ON sets defaults to top row knobs as VOLUME and bottom row knobs as PAN controls; you can set these knobs to different controls if you want. If you set the ZoneKnob=OFF, then the knobs work as if you were in the VOICE, PERFORMANCE, SONG, or PATTERN mode.

I have a MOX, works.

[EDITED: Corrected link to MOX version article, corrected language.  Good stuff in following posts]

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 21, 2014 @ 09:42 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

It is not clear in your post exactly how many programs you want to set up. Each Performance has a volume knob for each Part. I think we understand that you would like them side-by-side like on the S90 XS. Is that what you are trying to do? In your post you don’t really say. The PART volume knobs, by default, are not located so that they are side-by-side in the MOX. You access the PART Volume via the KNOB FUNCTION area.
For details on using the Knobs see page 27 and 34 in the Owner’s Manual.

Specifically in PERFORMANCE mode
Press the [Performance Control] button
This changes the functions of the sixteen numbered buttons so you can control the Parts 1-4 easily
Buttons 1-4 act as PART SELECT 1-4
Buttons 5-8 act as PART ARP ON/OFF 1-4
Buttons 9-12 act as PART MUTE 1-4
Buttons 13-16 act as PART ARP HOLD ON/OFF 1-4

The [COMMON] button when lit let’s you control all four Parts together.
You can SELECT a Part 1, 2, 3, or 4 to control it with the 3 rows of 8 knobs
Or you press [COMMON] and the 24 parameters will apply to all Parts. (Exception is AS1/AS2)

You only need to initialize the one Master program you wish to use for this purpose.

And in fact, there is no way to initialize all 128 Master settings -not easily. Second, if you did not create any of the 128 so consider them “placeholders” - they are there so you can learn from them.

Performances are also all in USER memory. Performances are a combination of as many as any 4 Voices. All are just suggestions as to what you can do, please feel free to customize any or all of them. You can restore all or any one of them from a backup file (highly recommended, that you create a backup file of the Factory settings so you never have to worry about “losing” data).

Remember : there are two kinds of technology users… Those that backup their data, and those who eventually have a catastrophe.

To restore all Factory Settings:
Press [UTILITY]
Press [JOB]
Press [ENTER]
Press [YES]

To place Volume knobs of the four Parts side-by-side please see the original article posted here on Motifator
MOX6/MOX8 Side by side Volumes for Performances

You only initialize one of the 128 MASTER programs to setup for this side-by-side volume control.
There are alternative ways to control Volumes, by programming the Voices and Performances you actually use. (Highly recommended) you may find that some already have Volume control assigned to a physical controller.

On a forum like this, you can be specific, helps with getting an idea of what exactly you really need. Is there a way to place all volumes side-by-side globally? No, there is not, not on the MOX. The only way tech support would have told you need to initialize all of your Masters is if you told them you have 128 Performances that you require side-by-side volume control. Again you need to be or give specifics of what you need or think you want to do.

It is a common request, and is why it was implemented in the MOXF SERIES which replaced the old MOX series. So we think we know what you are requesting (and why I wrote the article).

Let us know, what exactly you need to do. There are several ways to program a programmable synth. Not having sliders like your S90 XS, the side-by-side functionality of the knobs was not initially implemented. Mostly it is typically one or two Parts that you need to adjust in real time (practically speaking)… I mean if they all need to be adjusted, you probably should EDIT the Performance and reSTORE it.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 21, 2014 @ 10:38 AM
schmura
Joined  05-15-2014

Bad mister:  Thanks for reply.  Reading through it only briefly seems like a whole different approach.  At the dreaded day job now, so I will have to give this a try tonight.
For clarification, what I want to do simply stated is a layered performance of piano part one; and strings part two, such that the knobs will control the volume of at least part 2 (perhaps part 1 too, but not necessary).  It’s use is during live gigging where I would have the ability to fade strings in and out while continuing the piano line through out the tune.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 21, 2014 @ 02:23 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

what I want to do simply stated is a layered performance of piano part one; and strings part two, such that the knobs will control the volume of at least part 2

See, that’s a realistic use case. Playing the piano and controlling the strings is easy. You don’t need to do any of what the article is talking about.

If you have a Yamaha FC7 Expression pedal, (highly recommended) plug it into the Foot Controller jack.
Set the piano Part to ignore Expression, while letting the Strings respond to it.

In your Performance
Press [EDIT]
You can select the Part to edit by touching [1] or [2] this allows you to see PART parameters
Press [F5] RCV SW (Receive Switch)
Set the Piano Part to ignore Expression by clearing the EXP box
Set the Strings to receive Expression by marking the EXP box

Press [STORE]

It’s that easy.

If you do not have a Yamaha FC7 pedal, then simply activate [PERFORMANCE CONTROL] right front panel.
Select the Part you want to adjust [1] or [2]
Select the third row of functions for the Knobs… That’s where you see the one labeled “Volume”
You can STORE which row is initially active for each Performance, so if you know you always need to adjust the string volume store the Performance with row #3 active.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 21, 2014 @ 02:32 PM
schmura
Joined  05-15-2014

Wow!  That is awesome.  I wish I had gotten to this a week ago!  I admit, I am partly to blame for not being as clear as I could have.  I did say from the beginning I wanted to replicate the sliders on the S90SX, but did not say I only need this for selected performances, not globally as on the S90 and higher end boards.

Yeah, I got 3 or 4 FC7s laying around!

Thanks again!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 22, 2014 @ 08:30 AM
dcool
Total Posts:  426
Joined  11-01-2006
schmura - 21 May 2014 10:38 AM

Bad mister:  Thanks for reply.  Reading through it only briefly seems like a whole different approach.  At the dreaded day job now, so I will have to give this a try tonight.
For clarification, what I want to do simply stated is a layered performance of piano part one; and strings part two, such that the knobs will control the volume of at least part 2 (perhaps part 1 too, but not necessary).  It’s use is during live gigging where I would have the ability to fade strings in and out while continuing the piano line through out the tune.

If you have expression pedal then it’s great, but if you don’t then you can use mod wheel to adjust the volume to blend piano and string sound.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 22, 2014 @ 09:06 AM
schmura
Joined  05-15-2014
Bad_Mister - 21 May 2014 02:23 PM

what I want to do simply stated is a layered performance of piano part one; and strings part two, such that the knobs will control the volume of at least part 2

See, that’s a realistic use case. Playing the piano and controlling the strings is easy. You don’t need to do any of what the article is talking about.

If you have a Yamaha FC7 Expression pedal, (highly recommended) plug it into the Foot Controller jack.
Set the piano Part to ignore Expression, while letting the Strings respond to it.

In your Performance
Press [EDIT]
You can select the Part to edit by touching [1] or [2] this allows you to see PART parameters
Press [F5] RCV SW (Receive Switch)
Set the Piano Part to ignore Expression by clearing the EXP box
Set the Strings to receive Expression by marking the EXP box

Press [STORE]

It’s that easy.

If you do not have a Yamaha FC7 pedal, then simply activate [PERFORMANCE CONTROL] right front panel.
Select the Part you want to adjust [1] or [2]
Select the third row of functions for the Knobs… That’s where you see the one labeled “Volume”
You can STORE which row is initially active for each Performance, so if you know you always need to adjust the string volume store the Performance with row #3 active.

Hope that helps.

Thank you Big Mister! This is perfect!  More than my original objective!  Not only is it easy, the FC7 makes this a “hands free” operation!

Just for the fun of it, I did also try the PERFORMANCE CONTROL approach, but lost it when I got to:
I could select the voice I wanted but did not see where or how to select the rows of functions.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 22, 2014 @ 12:19 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

On the left front panel of the MOX The KNOB CONTROL FUNCTION button… Press the KNOB FUNCTION 1 button as shown below:

Image Attachments
KnobControlFunctionButtons.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 22, 2014 @ 12:50 PM
schmura
Joined  05-15-2014
Bad_Mister - 22 May 2014 12:19 PM

On the left front panel of the MOX The KNOB CONTROL FUNCTION button… Press the KNOB FUNCTION 1 button as shown below:

Well, that’s simple enough!  I was just looking for something on screen!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 12, 2014 @ 11:16 AM
richever
Total Posts:  10
Joined  10-26-2011

Should this work the same way on a MOXF?  I tried it and could not get the knobs to work as described.  I’m wondering if I did something wrong, or if there is a slightly different procedure on the MOXF than on the MOX.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 12, 2014 @ 12:46 PM
SSquared
Total Posts:  165
Joined  01-29-2014

While in the Performance, press both Knob Function Button 1 and 2 at the same and all green lights should now be lit.  The top row of knobs will now control the volume of each part and the bottom row controls pan.  You can save the performance this way, too.  This also works in a Master of a Performance.

To get back to controlling the other parameters, click just the Knob Function Button 1 or 2.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 13, 2014 @ 01:30 AM
richever
Total Posts:  10
Joined  10-26-2011

Yes, that I knew.  But, in Master mode you can only control the volumes of each Zone, not of Parts within a Performance on MOXF.  I use only Master Mode live.  So, I wanted the ability to adjust part volumes of a Performance (in Master Mode) on the fly, like I could easily do with the sliders on my MO8.  I don’t understand why Yamaha didn’t just make that one of the possible assignments of the knobs, since they sort of took the place of the sliders.  Anyway, I saw at the beginning of this thread how to get around this by saving a Performance to a Song and then to a Master on a MOX.  I went through the same steps on my MOXF and it appeared to be setup as described.  The top row of knobs were assigned to CC7 for each midi channel of Zones 1-4.  But turning them had no effect on the actual volumes of the parts.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Options on Split Keyboard
Next Topic:

Control Pedals ››