mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sudden Change of Multi"

Posted on: May 09, 2014 @ 11:52 AM
Peval55
Total Posts:  23
Joined  07-15-2010

Dear Friends,
I had a problem few days ago during last concert.
The Morif-XS Rack changed the Multi in use by itself.
It was terrible ... you can imagine!

Scenario:
1) Three Master Keyboards connected to a MIDI-Merge.
2) First Master is a Fatar SL880, 2nd is Yamaha DX7 (glorious!) and 3rd is a Roland A33.
None of them send Program Change unless you press the specific key. But I did anything during playing.

Any idea where to look for the problem and then solve it?
Does this happened to someone else?

Please let me know if you have any advice.

Many thanks.
Best regards
Ciao
Peval

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2014 @ 12:12 PM
SSquared
Total Posts:  165
Joined  01-29-2014

Yes.  I can imagine.  The only way I can think of this happening is if some type of message was sent to make the change.  Do you remember if the Rack changed to a completely different Multi or was it possible a different voice got swapped in.  For example, you expect a piano on 1, but instead it was an organ sound on 1.

The only other thing I can think of is if the Rack had a power problem and turned off and back on.  Did the Rack happen to be on the sound recalled when you first turn on the Rack?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2014 @ 12:42 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

In order for the Motif-Rack XS to change MULTIs you must send it specific Bank Select (MSB/LSB) and Program Change messages.

MSB = 63
LSB = 68
PC = 0-127

If you only send a PC (Program Change) without a Bank Select, it would only change the Part on the MIDI channel of the message.

Things to check:
Go to UTILITY > MIDI > make sure both Bank Select Switch and Program Change Switch are set to ON
Also check the VOICE MIDI channel setting - this is the channel on which you would send the MSB/LSB (63/68) and PC (0-127) to affect the MULTI change. To check this, temporarily set the Rack XS in VOICE MODE > press UTILITY > find VOICE MIDI… this is the BASIC RECEIVE CHANNEL for the unit as a whole.

Say it is set to 1, then in MULTI mode you would need to send 063-068- PC on channel 1 in order for the Multi to change.
If the VOICE MIDI Channel is set to 2, then back in MULTI mode you would need to send 063-068 -PC on channel 2, to change the MULTI.

Without the MSB/LSB (63/68) message, the Rack XS will not switch Multis. So one of your three controllers is sending or has sent this specific Bank Select message.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2014 @ 12:56 PM
Peval55
Joined  07-15-2010

Many thanks Bad_Mister.

Do you mean that if I set the BASIC RECEIVE CHANNEL for example to 14 and all the three keyboards are sending NOTE EVENTS respectively to CH1, CH3 and CH12, I can be sure that none of them are involved in the SUDDEN AND RANDOM Multi Change.

Meaning: Suppose that one of the keyboard (I have to investigate this) is sending a CC + PC on i.e. CH3, the Motif will not respond if I set the BASIC RECEIVE CHANNEL to 14.

If this is the case, while I will investigate, I will solve the problem by forcing MOTIF to be “blind” to PC unless coming in from CH14.

Please let me know if I’m right.

Many thanks.
Best regards
Ciao
Peval

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2014 @ 03:51 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

The only way to change a MULTI is by sending MSB 63, LSB 68, and the program change on the the Basic Receive channel of the Rack XS.

Say the basic channel is 1.
63/68 000 will recall MULTI 001

If you send 63/00 000 on channel 1 this will change the Voice in PART of the current MULTI to Full Concert Grand.

What you wrote is a misinterpretation. The Rack XS’s MULTIs are blind to all Program Changes that are not preceded by 63/68.

If a program change is not preceded by the MSB/LSB 63/68, the Multi will not change, period.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2014 @ 05:21 PM
Peval55
Joined  07-15-2010

Hi Bad_Mister,
I didn’t explain properly.

I want to be sure that the MOTIF WILL NOT change MULTI at all even in case of receiving a 63/68 + CC.

So I think that since the three Masters are working on CH1, CH3 and CH12 ONLY, if I set the BASE RECEIVING CHANNEL to 14, the MOTIF will never change the MULTI.

Is this correct?

Many thanks.
Best regards
Ciao
Peval

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2014 @ 06:30 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

I guess that is one way to look at it.

Your masters cannot possibly randomly send 63/68 + PC
What are the chances? ...there are 16,384 combinations of MSB/LSB

I wish I could explain it better, you’ll have to find which one of your units did, and change it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 10, 2014 @ 01:33 PM
Peval55
Joined  07-15-2010

OK Thanks.

I will do that way first.
Then I will investigate which one is send CC+PC.

Many thanks.
Best regards
Ciao
Peval

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 31, 2014 @ 05:06 AM
yéyé93
Total Posts:  9
Joined  11-08-2009

Sorry but with Msb 63 And Msb 68 + Pc 5 on the current channel midi 4 doesn t change the multi but only remove the part of the multi on the Channel 4 ???
Do sbdy hâve an explanation ? TY

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 31, 2014 @ 09:43 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

How did you set the Motif-Rack XS to channel 4?

Sorry, but we think this is your mistake.

In order to set the Basic Receive Channel for the entire Rack XS
Go to [VOICE] mode
Press [UTILITY]
Select “VOICE MIDI”
Set the Receive Channel that will address the Motif-Rack XS as a whole

Press [STORE]

Now when you return to MULTI mode, the Rack XS will respond to 63/68 + PC to select Multi on the basic receive channel you’ve selected.

If you select CH4, then the MSB/LSB + PC (63/68 + pc5) sent on MIDI channel 4 will select MULTI 006

PC 000 selects Multi 001
PC 001 selects Multi 002
PC 002 selects Multi 003
And so on…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 31, 2014 @ 05:46 PM
yéyé93
Joined  11-08-2009

Wonderful Bad Mister I think you are right, I Forgot the store action ! I did Try yet but I ma impacient to test it.
I Will test à lot of things : ordre my xs rack with a pedalboard roland fc 300 And use my iPad with all the devices.
TY for your help

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 01, 2014 @ 12:16 PM
yéyé93
Joined  11-08-2009

It doeńt t work even if I store the basic receive channel. Sorry.
I rite you what I wrote on m’y midi foot controler FC 300 :
Cc#000 val 063 ch#16
Cc#032 val 068 ch#16
Pc : ch#16 Pc#008
And I set the basic receive Channel to 16,on the motif rack XS with exactly what you wrote . The messages from the fc300 go throught à midi merger Prodipe to the xs rack.
In fact when i sent the prévious message, only the Channel 16 of the multi has removed to bank PRE 1 number 08, but the multi Didn t remove to the 08, the multi remains the same execpt the Channel 16 of the multi.
Are you sûre That it is 63/68 ?
TY

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 15, 2014 @ 08:28 PM
BogeyFree
Total Posts:  3
Joined  06-10-2014
Bad_Mister - 09 May 2014 12:42 PM

In order for the Motif-Rack XS to change MULTIs you must send it specific Bank Select (MSB/LSB) and Program Change messages.

MSB = 63
LSB = 68
PC = 0-127

If you only send a PC (Program Change) without a Bank Select, it would only change the Part on the MIDI channel of the message.

Things to check:
Go to UTILITY > MIDI > make sure both Bank Select Switch and Program Change Switch are set to ON
Also check the VOICE MIDI channel setting - this is the channel on which you would send the MSB/LSB (63/68) and PC (0-127) to affect the MULTI change. To check this, temporarily set the Rack XS in VOICE MODE > press UTILITY > find VOICE MIDI… this is the BASIC RECEIVE CHANNEL for the unit as a whole.

Say it is set to 1, then in MULTI mode you would need to send 063-068- PC on channel 1 in order for the Multi to change.
If the VOICE MIDI Channel is set to 2, then back in MULTI mode you would need to send 063-068 -PC on channel 2, to change the MULTI.

Without the MSB/LSB (63/68) message, the Rack XS will not switch Multis. So one of your three controllers is sending or has sent this specific Bank Select message.

Thank you for this info - it’s not covered very well in the owner’s manual.  In fact, I still can’t find where it mentions the 63/68.

Since all the Program Changes on the Motif-Rack XS are MSB:63, why isn’t it just assumed?* Is there a Menu option to assume it?  I am at the beginning of converting many of my MIDI files to the Motif - will I have to insert into the 1st bar redundant CC#00:63 commands for all channels used?

Thanks!

* GM could be accessed with GM sys-ex

[ Ignore ]