mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Vintage Keys Voice Library"

Posted on: April 14, 2014 @ 06:37 PM
blake80
Total Posts:  110
Joined  03-14-2014

Recently purchased the Keyfax Vintage Keys voice library.

I must say it’s very good and worth the money. Loving the Rhodes voices especially. Plus the Prophet 5 polymod voices, excellent.

I was hoping the Mellotron voices would be better. I appreciate this sound set uses only internal waveforms.

So does anybody know where I can get really descent Mellotron choirs, strings, maybe the Roland VP-330 etc? The really authentic cold , harsh sound of the originals?

I am more than happy to pay as I have long ago lost the desire to create my own patches. I did look at the easysounds website but apart from the one soundset that has Mellotron strings I cannot locate the choirs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Blake.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2014 @ 10:11 AM
JFN
Total Posts:  24
Joined  08-04-2012

The sample library from Vintage Keyboard Sounds has great Mellotron sounds for the Motif/MOXF platform.  You will need a flash card though.

http://www.vintagekeyboardsounds.com/page_mellotron.html

John

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2014 @ 01:18 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
JFN - 15 April 2014 10:11 AM

The sample library from Vintage Keyboard Sounds has great Mellotron sounds for the Motif/MOXF platform.  You will need a flash card though.

http://www.vintagekeyboardsounds.com/page_mellotron.html

John

Yes- there’s a catch, though. The VKS Mellotron samples are just that - sample waveforms.
They are not in Motif or Mo XF format. You can load them as sample waveforms but you
will then need to create voices with elements assigned to the waveforms.

To see what kind of problems that can arise with VKS libraries, please see this thread:

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/472070/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2014 @ 02:13 PM
JFN
Joined  08-04-2012

It was in 2012 when I bought the library and I remember having some concerns about loading it, but it was no problem.  I was able to find the following e-mail exchange with the vendor in my Yamaha archive folder.  The top e-mail is their response to my question.
------
Hi John… Yes, it comes in a Motif ES file that the later Motifs can
read.  Completey mapped and ready to go.  You will love it. And if you
don’t, I will gladly refund your money,

David

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 21, 2012, at 7:39, “John”
wrote:

Hi,

I saw a reference to your Mellotron samples while reading the
Motifator.com website.  I’m interested in trying the samples but am not
sure how I would go about loading them into my Motif XF.  Does it come
with Yamaha Voices already programmed and mapped across the keyboard.  I’d
like to be a bit more confident that I can easily get things up and
running without having to go too deep into the whole sampling thing.
Also, is there a user guide PDF you could send so I can review the loading
process.  Thanks for your response.

Best regards,

John

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2014 @ 02:22 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
JFN - 15 April 2014 02:13 PM

It was in 2012 when I bought the library and I remember having some concerns about loading it, but it was no problem.....

Unfortunately, the MOXF that the OP owns will not be able to read the ES or XS versions of this Library (As your XF could do) without additional conversion...unless this vendor now provides the samples formatted for either the XF or the MOXF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2014 @ 03:04 PM
JFN
Joined  08-04-2012
cmayhle - 15 April 2014 02:22 PM
JFN - 15 April 2014 02:13 PM

It was in 2012 when I bought the library and I remember having some concerns about loading it, but it was no problem.....

Unfortunately, the MOXF that the OP owns will not be able to read the ES or XS versions of this Library (As your XF could do) without additional conversion...unless this vendor now provides the samples formatted for either the XF or the MOXF.

Good point.  The OP might want to check with the company about loading this into the MOXF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2014 @ 05:33 PM
blake80
Joined  03-14-2014

Thank you to all who have replied.

I have looked at the http://vintagekeyboardsounds.com/ website and had a listen to the Mellotron samples. If I do decide to purchase the raw waveforms can I still use them in voices I create?

What I mean is I could find voices I like inside the MOXF and just change the waveforms used to the Mellotron samples. So for example a lush string voice with all the subtle nuances and the XA programming could sound wonderful with the Mellotron choir samples instead of the internal violin/cello samples used?

Is this a simple task?

I had a Roland Fantom X which I had loaded with SRX-07 Ultimate keyboards. It had some outstanding Mellotron samples, VP-330 choirs etc. I miss them dearly but what I found was most of the quality in a voice is the actual programming, not so much the waveforms used. So I kept the user Voices and sold the expansion board. I then found internal waveforms and loaded them into the voices. It actually worked extremely well.

So I am really reversing that by using samples/waveforms I buy rather than the internal waveforms.

Does that make sense?

Blake.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2014 @ 05:49 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
blake80 - 15 April 2014 05:33 PM

Thank you to all who have replied.

I have looked at the http://vintagekeyboardsounds.com/ website and had a listen to the Mellotron samples. If I do decide to purchase the raw waveforms can I still use them in voices I create?

What I mean is I could find voices I like inside the MOXF and just change the waveforms used to the Mellotron samples. So for example a lush string voice with all the subtle nuances and the XA programming could sound wonderful with the Mellotron choir samples instead of the internal violin/cello samples used?…

I believe DavePolich touched on this in his final post in the thread that he linked above.  Take a look and see if the technique he provided will work for you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2014 @ 06:10 PM
blake80
Joined  03-14-2014

Thanks,

I did read that thread. So I am taking it it’s not as simple to do what I want, basically what I wrote in my last post regarding the Fantom X voices I created.

You can’t just assign waveforms/samples to the voices you like the programming of?

Blake.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2014 @ 06:31 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
blake80 - 15 April 2014 06:10 PM

Thanks,

I did read that thread. So I am taking it it’s not as simple to do what I want, basically what I wrote in my last post regarding the Fantom X voices I created.

You can’t just assign waveforms/samples to the voices you like the programming of?

Blake.

I may be missing something blake80, but that is essentially what DavePolich outlined in his final post in that thread...the difference being a VOICE can have up to (8) elements with their associated waveforms, so you must address each element individually...sort of like a ‘voice within a voice’.

I am guessing that the Roland Fantom X you referenced did not have up to (8) elements per VOICE?

That being said, you could easily call up an existing VOICE you like, assign the Mellotron waveform (must be in XF or MOXF format) you want to element (1)(Be sure the note-range of this element is appropriate), and de-activate elements 2-8. Now you have a (1) element VOICE.

Then, name and STORE the new VOICE.

Keep in mind, there is no “raw waveform”.  A waveform is a precise Yamaha definition of an audio sample that has been formatted for the appropriate insturment.

I think you may be referring to raw .wav audio samples in your post?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2014 @ 06:55 PM
blake80
Joined  03-14-2014

Unfortunately I have been a die hard Roland user for the past 26 years! So I am having to adjust my way of thinking to the Yamaha way of things. ;-)

The Roland Fantom X had 4 elements per voice but could have upto 8 if you used stereo samples. I think things are similar, I just need to get my head around the basic stuff.

Thanks for your help.

Blake.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 16, 2014 @ 07:24 AM
PauloF
Total Posts:  37
Joined  08-28-2005
blake80 - 15 April 2014 06:55 PM

Unfortunately I have been a die hard Roland user for the past 26 years! So I am having to adjust my way of thinking to the Yamaha way of things. ;-)

The Roland Fantom X had 4 elements per voice but could have upto 8 if you used stereo samples. I think things are similar, I just need to get my head around the basic stuff.

Thanks for your help.

Blake.

If I can remember well, the Fantom X also have Sampling/Multisampling and offset capabilities that enables a WAV file to be properly mapped across the keyboard.

In the MOXF This conversion and adaptation needs to be done externally to the unit

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 16, 2014 @ 08:59 AM
blake80
Joined  03-14-2014
PauloF - 16 April 2014 07:24 AM

Thanks for your help.

Blake.

If I can remember well, the Fantom X also have Sampling/Multisampling and offset capabilities that enables a WAV file to be properly mapped across the keyboard.

In the MOXF This conversion and adaptation needs to be done externally to the unit

By that do you mean what I want to do is going to be more complex than I imagine?

Thanks

Blake

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 16, 2014 @ 10:21 AM
PauloF
Total Posts:  37
Joined  08-28-2005
blake80 - 16 April 2014 08:59 AM
PauloF - 16 April 2014 07:24 AM

Thanks for your help.

Blake.

By that do you mean what I want to do is going to be more complex than I imagine?

Thanks

Blake

I think so yes.

I’m afraid giving you wrong direction, but maybe a more experienced Yamaha user can help here.

Like was said before by a forum member (that I don’t recall now) by using John Melas Application Motif Waveform Editor, you will be able to “assemble” the waveforms into workable VOICES

John Melas also produced the following Apps, that I recommend (at least for me that are very user friendly and powerful)

QUOTE…
XF/XS Tools Complete Pack is a complete editor/librarian solution for the XF and XS series of synthesizers, consisting of:

Total Librarian
Voice Editor
Drum Kit Editor
Performance Editor (n/a for Motif Rack XS)
Mix Editor (n/a for MX)
Master Editor (n/a for Motif Rack XS, MX)

All editors and librarian are distributed in one single package.
The latest version of the pack can be downloaded here:

XF/XS Tools Complete Pack version 2.3.1 for MOXF (Mac and Windows)
UNQUOTE…

[ Ignore ]