mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "LOGIC PRO SETUP HELP!"

Posted on: November 10, 2013 @ 04:13 PM
rxgjang
Total Posts:  15
Joined  07-02-2013

Hi. I searched through many posts but it seems like people already know how to use logic pro fairly well. I have CUBASE and LOGIC PRO 9 installed but cubase is trial version, so I would rather go with LOGIC. I could not find detailed instruction on setting up logic pro with MOX and it’s not as easy as a few clicks as in CUBASE, so I need some help.

I already have installed all the necessary drivers. I need step-by-step setup info in order to do this if possible. I’m a total newbie to LOGIC PRO.

1. I have few songs recorded in MOX. How would I export that to a wav or equivalent sound format using LOGIC PRO?  (according to setup guide for cubase, it seems you hit record button and start playing the sequencer to start recording it in the DAW. I’m assuming it’s the same thing for LOGIC PRO but I just don’t know how to set it up to do this).

2. If you were to use MOX as your MIDI and use its sounds as VSTs in Logic PRO, how do you do this? This is essentially doing the same thing in the cubase setup guide in LOGIC PRO. Please help out.

Thanks in advance!! You guys rock!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 10, 2013 @ 08:46 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

In answer to your question 1

Before you do anything in Logic…

Open up your Audio/MIDI utility (in the utilities folder) in Mac OS (with your MOX powered on and connected via USB to your mac - MOX USB TO HOST to your computer’s USB)

When in Audio/MIDI setup…

Go to > Window > Show Audio Devices and the MOX should be visible in that list and will say how your MOX is set up as an interface e.g, 2 in 2 out or 2 in 4 out. (this window should already pop up but pull it up from where I said if it does not)

Go to > Window > Show MIDI Window.

You should see that in the MIDI window, your mac identifies your MOX and shows a little picture tab of it there NOT greyed out.  That means your driver is installed and is working. If it is greyed out, you have a connection problem of some kind. If it is not there at all, you need to install the driver or the right driver = The Yamaha Steinberg USB driver

Then load up Logic and go to, Logic Pro (menu) > Preferences > Audio

Then on the Core Audio tab, set OUTPUT device to Yamaha MOX6/8 and INPUT device to Yamaha MOX6/8 then APPLY CHANGES at the bottom of that window.

Logic will then connect to your MOX

Create an Empty Project…

You are then ready to set up a new track with the MOX as the input on it.

The MOX is capable of outputting up to a maximum of two stereo pairs (4 channels) via USB so depending on how your MOX is set up e.g, 1StereoRec = one stereo pair and 2StereoRec (4chan) = dual stereo pairs, you will either have selectable inputs from your MOX as just 1 and 2 for stereo OR 1 and 2, then 3 and 4 for the dual stereo.

You can check those settings in UTILITY > USB I/O

All parts are set as default to come out of 3 and 4 unless you change them.  So you will not hear or see any activity on 1 and 2 initially.

Be sure to make sure your DAW level fader on your MOX is suitably UP so you can hear back from Logic.

Record enable a track and play your MOX, you should see that audio is going in for sure via the bouncing metering lights on the track if all is well.

That should get you where you want to go.

I didn’t quite understand your 2nd question but I think you are asking that you just want to play sounds from your MOX via MIDI through the USB using MIDI tracks.

If that is the case, as long as you have the driver installed correctly and create an external MIDI track in Logic, you should find that it works.

You can control up to 16 parts (on 16 different midi tracks in Logic) using the SONG and MIXING section on your MOX (SONG and MIXING buttons)

Ensure your LOCAL control is OFF to avoid any double note phasing. In MOX > UTILITY > MIDI > SWITCH > LocalCTRL - OFF

That should work fine.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2013 @ 08:30 AM
rxgjang
Joined  07-02-2013

MOX does not show up SHOW MIDI WINDOW. However, When I have LOGIC open, and i press keys on MOX, I can see that LOGIC receives information from MOX as it shows what key was pressed on MOX.

When recording the song from MOX as audio, how do you do this in LOGIC? do you create an empty project as AUDIO? If I do this, it records from the internal mic in Mac Pro, not through USB. Is this because the USB driver has connection problem or is there a setting I have to edit?

I have reinstalled the correct USB driver, but MOX still doesn’t show up.

HELP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2013 @ 01:00 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013
rxgjang - 12 November 2013 08:30 AM

MOX does not show up SHOW MIDI WINDOW. However, When I have LOGIC open, and i press keys on MOX, I can see that LOGIC receives information from MOX as it shows what key was pressed on MOX.

Are you absolutely sure you have installed the correct driver? Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver

Are you definitely using a usb cable?

If your MOX is not showing up in the Audio/Midi Utility then it is possible you have installed the wrong driver or have a connection problem.

The MIDI information you are seeing when you press a key could be through your legacy MIDI ports (if you have them cabled up to a suitable interface already) and so it is possible that your MOX is not communicating with your computer and Logic at all in the way you are hoping for.

If you have your MOX cabled via USB to your computer then MIDI and Audio will use the same USB cable.

rxgjang - 12 November 2013 08:30 AM

When recording the song from MOX as audio, how do you do this in LOGIC? do you create an empty project as AUDIO? If I do this, it records from the internal mic in Mac Pro, not through USB. Is this because the USB driver has connection problem or is there a setting I have to edit?

I have reinstalled the correct USB driver, but MOX still doesn’t show up.

HELP

Because you are suggesting that sounds from your internal mic are being routed to track inputs, this again suggests to me that you have either a problem with your driver (might not be the right one) or a problem with your connection in that you are not using a USB cable from the MOX USB TO HOST to your computer’s USB port.

It could also be that you are selecting the wrong track inputs.

When you have resolved the connection problems and set Logic to use your MOX as the interface in Preferences > Audio > Core audio > set OUTPUT device to Yamaha MOX6/8 and INPUT device to Yamaha MOX6/8 then APPLY CHANGES at the bottom of that window....all you really need to do is create an Empty Project in Logic and create some new audio tracks with the input initially set to 3 & 4 (because parts in the MOX are set to output on 3 & 4 by default)

Unless you do get your MOX to show up in Audio/Midi settings, you will not be able to do any of the above.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2013 @ 01:16 PM
rxgjang
Joined  07-02-2013

Yes. I am absolutely sure that I installed the right USB driver. I tried reinstalling it too.
In Logic, Preferences > Audio > Core audio - MOX6/8 is already set up there.

If I create a new project with software instrument, I can hear my vsts (ones I have previously installed apart from MOX) back using MOX keys.

Are you sure MOX6/8 has to show up in general in show MIDI window? I manually created one myself because it wasn’t there.

I am pretty sure it’s not really a connection problem because when I have my MOX turned off, In Logic, Preferences > Audio > Core audio - MOX6/8 does not show up, but only when it’s turned ON.

I’m struggling to get LOGIC to play MOX sound through the computer. (How do I choose what sound to play anyway?) If I create an empty project, it does not matter what keys I press on the keyboard because it seems to me the input is set for the internal mic in the computer. Even if I change the input to 3 or 4 (which belongs to MOX I assume), I can’t hear anything because I don’t know where to setup or even choose the sound for MOX in LOGIC…

Sorry for newbie questions.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2013 @ 01:33 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

If the driver is correctly installed, you should not have to manually create your MOX in the Audio MIDI utility.  It should show up with a small photo of the MOX on it when it recognises that the MOX is connected.

It should also show up in the audio devices window itself, does it?

I’m presuming you are running an OS that the driver is qualified on e.g, Mac OS X 10.5.8/Mac OS X 10.6.x/Mac OS X 10.7x/Mac OS X 10.8x because at the moment it says they are testing it on Mavericks.

One thing you could also check on your MOX is how it is set for USB audio I/O (in and out)

On your MOX, go to UTILITY > USB I/O and select “2StereoRec” from ‘Mode’ (if it is not already selected.)

“2StereoRec” = dual stereo record.

Press [SF1] OUT CH and make sure it says 4CH

Do you have any other audio interfaces or MIDI interfaces currently connected?  if you do, please disconnect them whilst you are trying to get this to work.

You do not need to use instrument tracks either because (as you’ve said) they are for your virtual instrument plug ins so just create a new Stereo Audio Track and select inputs 3 & 4, when you have done that, record enable the track and press a key on your MOX, you should notice that audio is going IN, if all things are set up as I’ve described.

It could also be that various settings on your MOX have been changed over time and perhaps a full reset might help you before you try again. (please back up your own settings first)

it is probably more important to get this working before you look at how to use several different sounds from the MOX because at the moment it seems clear that your computer and MOX are not communicating as they should.

Unless you get them working together, you can’t move forward anyway.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2013 @ 11:25 PM
rxgjang
Joined  07-02-2013

Thanks. It’s working now. Now MOX appears in the Audio MIDI setup. i didn’t do anything new, and it just randomly appeared as I turned off and on the MOX while I was working on LOGIC.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2013 @ 11:44 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

That’s good news rxgjang, you’re welcome.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 20, 2014 @ 01:00 PM
heathj85
Total Posts:  2
Joined  09-10-2014

Philwoodmusic,

I think I followed your setup instructions correctly. Logic Pro X detects the Yamaha MOX8 and when I press a key on the keyboard, it registers in Logic, but there is no sound coming out of the Macbook. I am wearing headphones or will send the sound signal from the Macbook Pro to a board. I think I obviously have the output settings setup incorrectly for this. Any thoughts?

heathj85

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ CHanging sounds like arranger
Next Topic:

MOX - pedal for tap tempo ››