mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sequencer with midi pedalboard"

Posted on: February 09, 2013 @ 03:30 PM
andre.gregorini
Total Posts:  8
Joined  08-14-2012

Hi everyone,
I’m a Motif Xs8 owner and I would like to know if and how I can control the sequencer midi channels with a midi pedalboard such as the Behringer FCB1010. Can I assign a midi channel to a switch on the pedalboard in order to change it without using the 1-16 buttons on the Motif?
Thanks in advance

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2013 @ 07:41 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

No. There is no simple MIDI command to change MIDI Channels.

The way you change MIDI transmit channels is by pressing the front panel button 1-16.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 10, 2013 @ 01:08 PM
andre.gregorini
Joined  08-14-2012

Probably yes, but if that’s right, what do the MSB-LSB parameters for mixing voices (page 53 of Motif xs Data List1) are for?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 10, 2013 @ 04:28 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Like it says those are Bank Select and Program Change messages. Quite a bit different from changing the current MIDI Channel.

What is you want to do: Change Programs or MIDI channels?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2013 @ 08:00 AM
andre.gregorini
Joined  08-14-2012

Sorry for not explaining well, when I’m in Song or Pattern mode I can assign sounds to different parts 1-16. I would like to select this parts singularly with a pedalboard for example during a live performance so I can change sounds quickly.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2013 @ 10:41 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

As I said previously: No. There is no simple MIDI command to change MIDI Channels. (the PARTs of the MIXING)

The way you change the PART that is sounding (MIDI transmit channels) quickly is by pressing the front panel button 1-16.

You will not be able to change the MIDI Channel transmit, with a Channel message, it can be done only with System Exclusive messages.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2013 @ 12:53 PM
piano-player
Total Posts:  51
Joined  02-21-2012

Hi!

System Exclusive messages cannot be sent by the FCB1010. (please correct me if I’m wrong)

I’d suggest you get the Roland FC 300. I use it to select arpeggio variations on my Yamaha s90xs with my feet by sending SysEx messages from different footswitches. It should work fine for your objectives as well. The FC300 might not be the easiest thing to program but very useful.  I’m planning on teaching my FC300 to to the same as you want to do but don’t seem to get the time to do it!

Please report how you did it if you do it!

Kind regards from Sweden.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2013 @ 04:43 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
piano-player - 11 February 2013 12:53 PM

System Exclusive messages cannot be sent by the FCB1010. (please correct me if I’m wrong)[...]

You aren’t wrong, but there are ways to add on to the FCB1010’s functionality.
See http://www.gordius.be/ for example.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2013 @ 07:44 PM
piano-player
Total Posts:  51
Joined  02-21-2012

Thanks for your advice 5pinDIN!

I myself thought about buying the FCB1010 with the UNO add-on but it turned out that it still couldn’t send multiple strings of SysEx so I ended up with the FC300. I will however check out your suggestion, the fc300 is quite heavy to bring along to gigs....

Kind regards from Sweden

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2013 @ 07:59 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You’re welcome, piano-player.

Another possibility is to use this MIDI Solutions product to convert CC messages from the FCB1010 into custom SysEx.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2017 @ 07:59 AM
andre.gregorini
Joined  08-14-2012

Is it possible to send a single sysex message to change the midi channel progressively so that, with one single message sent by a single control button, I can use it like an channel UP button?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2017 @ 08:45 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
andre.gregorini - 03 May 2017 07:59 AM

Is it possible to send a single sysex message to change the midi channel progressively so that, with one single message sent by a single control button, I can use it like an channel UP button?

I suggest that you investigate the capabilities of the MIDI Solutions device I linked to, and contact them about your specific needs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2017 @ 11:15 AM
andre.gregorini
Joined  08-14-2012

Thanks for the fast reply, but I my question was a bit different: is there a single midi sysex message that makes the motif increase the number of the selected channel in song mode instead of making 16 different sysex messages, one for each channel? If yes, what is it? I will have no problems in sending it to the keyboard, I was wondering if such a control exists.
Thank you

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2017 @ 02:22 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
andre.gregorini - 03 May 2017 11:15 AM

[...] is there a single midi sysex message that makes the motif increase the number of the selected channel in song mode [...]

None that I’m aware of.

andre.gregorini -

instead of making 16 different sysex messages, one for each channel? [...]

I’m also unaware of any single SysEx message that will change the “selected” MIDI channel in Song mode. By “selected”, I’m presuming that you want to do what you asked about in your first post of this thread. If that’s not what you mean, and especially if you know of a single message to “select” a particular channel in Song mode, please explain.

There’s a method for changing the Receive Channel of a Song’s Parts via SysEx, which I explained in this thread:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/475656/
Whether you can use that approach in the manner you’d like is something you might discuss with MIDI Solutions - they have devices that can be programmed to cycle through MIDI messages in various ways.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2017 @ 05:31 PM
andre.gregorini
Joined  08-14-2012

Ok, thank you, I will try with Midi Solutions when I’ll have time!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Routing of external effects
Next Topic:

Foreigner voices question ››