mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XF purchased in USA can it work in india"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: January 13, 2013 @ 06:36 PM
ginugeorge
Total Posts:  3
Joined  01-13-2013

Hi

I recently purchased motif xf 6 and i really enjoyed with it,unfortunately i was going back to india and i just wanted to wanted to know if the instrument would work in india because of voltage variation,can some suggest me what i could do

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 13, 2013 @ 07:25 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

According to this Yamaha FAQ you shouldn’t have a problem.

If I were you, just to be sure, I would contact Yamaha support and verify that information is accurate.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 13, 2013 @ 09:01 PM
ginugeorge
Total Posts:  3
Joined  01-13-2013

Thanks for the info,as u suggested i will check with the Yamaha support,since at the back of the label it says 120v,its confusing :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 13, 2013 @ 09:26 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
ginugeorge - 13 January 2013 09:01 PM

Thanks for the info,as u suggested i will check with the Yamaha support,since at the back of the label it says 120v,its confusing :-)

You’re welcome.

Even if a product has a switch-mode power supply that will operate on a wide range of AC input voltage (often 100-240V AC), in order to comply with ratings agency regulations, the listed voltage may have to be that of the country where the product is sold. Yes, that can definitely be confusing.

Checking with Yamaha support is best.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 13, 2013 @ 09:49 PM
Mironoff
Total Posts:  23
Joined  11-12-2011

As far as I know and it confirms Wikipedia in India voltage 220V 50 Hz. In Russia as well. I also bought my Motif XF in the United States. To work using the Converter 220V -> 110V (SevenStar SS-10). It is a gracious gift from the seller. :)
Motif XS, judging by the marking, equipped with a universal power supply 110-240V.
Power supply Motif XF is localized. At least, as indicated on the housing.
On the fact that I bought in the USA indicated 120V 60Hz. For those that are sold in Russia is 220V 50Hz.
It is possible and in the XF also installed a universal power supply that is not expensive for the manufacturer and simplifies the build process for different countries (globalization… :) ).
But check this on my keyboard I don’t want to… ;)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 13, 2013 @ 10:31 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Mironoff - 13 January 2013 09:49 PM

[...] On the fact that I bought in the USA indicated 120V 60Hz. [...]

Yes, US market XFs are marked for 120V. However, the FAQ I linked to above indicates:
“The Motif XF sold in the USA does have the ability to accept any voltage between 120 Volts and 240 Volts. There is a label on the instrument that would lead one to believe that it is capable of 120 Volts only.  This is not the case.”

If one is unable to determine for certain whether a unit marked for 120V will operate on 220V, then of course a voltage converter (step-down transformer) can be used. Since the XF draws only 30 watts, the device wouldn’t have to be very big or costly.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2013 @ 01:05 AM
kvt
Total Posts:  78
Joined  04-30-2011

I have Motif XF-brought from USA (120 Volts version) and using it in UK with step down voltage transformer (UK is 230 volts).
When initially I brought XF I did intense search on this voltage issue. All (USA & UK) technical support said me that particularly Motif XF has no Power switching and it can only take 120 volts if it’s 120 volts model.
If I am not forgetting they also informed me that this input power circuit has been changed from Xf Model. Motif XS runs on switch-mode power supply which can operate on a wide range of AC input voltage(often 100-240V AC).
I had a bad experience with cheaper transformer so I highly recommend you to buy a high quality transformer. I am using Tacima Autotransformer which is fantastic. Here is the link http://www.voltageconversion.co.uk/store/product.php?productid=16158&cat=260&page=1
Hope it helps…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2013 @ 11:03 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

OK, enough conjecture - I decided to get more information from the “horses mouth”, and by that I don’t mean Yamaha support in the US, UK, or anywhere else. While I had no reason to doubt the Yamaha US FAQ I linked to, I went a step further…

I opened both my XS6 and XF6 (US-market model), and looked at the power supply boards in each of them. The boards are not the same, but the differences aren’t what folks on this forum seem to think. Both supplies are clearly labeled. The relevant part of what’s on the labels follows.
-------------------------------------
XS:
LDC60F-1       -SXYMH
  5V 5A(7A)              50-60Hz
 12V 2A(3.5A)         100-240V AC/1.4A
-12V 0.6A(0.7A)      110-340V DC/0.6A
XF:
LDC60F-2      -SXYMH
  5V 5A                50-60Hz
 15V 2A              100-240V AC/1.4A
-15V 0.6A           110-340V DC/0.6A

The XS has version 1 of the supply, the XF has version 2.
The power input specification is identical for the two supplies.
Both of the supplies will run on 50 or 60 Hz.
Both of the supplies will run on anything from 100 to 240 V AC.
Interestingly, both of the supplies will run on anything from 110 to 340 V DC.

The main difference between the two supplies is the output voltages. While they both output 5 volts, the XS unit has 12/-12 volt outputs, while the XF one has 15/-15 volts. (Yes, I measured the output voltages and verified that the labeling is correct.) Therefore the supplies for the XS and XF are not interchangeable.

It seems that the FAQ is accurate, and that a US XF will run on a wide range of input power - at least based on my own XF6. That doesn’t mean I’m going to compensate anyone who plugs their US-bought XF into 220/240V AC and it fails. I accept no responsibility for your actions. Decide for yourself.

------------------------------

OK? :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2013 @ 07:00 PM
kvt
Total Posts:  78
Joined  04-30-2011

Wow....!!!! what you did is amazing..!! respect man...!! than in this case should I stop using step-down transformer on your guarantee??? lol!!
I should open mine as well and check… Is it easy to open?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2013 @ 07:02 PM
Mironoff
Joined  11-12-2011

An autopsy will show…
Where is my screwdriver?! >;0)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2013 @ 08:09 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
kvt - 15 January 2013 07:00 PM

Wow....!!!! what you did is amazing..!! respect man...!!

Thanks! I did it for myself as much as for you guys. I like turning the unknown into the known - it’s one of the reasons I participate here.

kvt -

than in this case should I stop using step-down transformer on your guarantee??? lol!!

The only thing I’ll guarantee is that I’m not guaranteeing anything. :-)

kvt -

I should open mine as well and check… Is it easy to open?

It isn’t difficult to open, but you have to know which screws to remove (and which not to), and be willing to possibly void any warranty. I’m not going to post the information to the forum, but I’ll provide it to those who want to look under the hood - if you can convince me in a PM that you know which end of a screwdriver is which, and that you’ll hold me blameless if something goes wrong.

Otherwise, using a step-down transformer won’t bring about the end of the world. :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2013 @ 08:21 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Mironoff - 15 January 2013 07:02 PM

An autopsy will show…
Where is my screwdriver?! >;0)

I prefer antemortem examination, thereby hopefully eliminating the need for a postmortem one. ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2013 @ 01:39 AM
Mironoff
Joined  11-12-2011

My friends, colleagues!

I confirm that my Motif XF6, which I bought in the USA (on the body stated: 120V 60Hz 30W) absolutely works fine from the mains in Russia 220V 50Hz directly without Converter 220V -> 110V. That confirms my belief that in MY (!) Motif XF6 a universal power supply unit.

ATTENTION!
All of the above is purely for MY keyboard.
I can’t say it about all Motif XF. I don’t give no guarantees!
All questions to the support service of Yamaha. Or check everything at your own risk.

Good luck to everyone!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2013 @ 10:14 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Mironoff - 16 January 2013 01:39 AM

[...]I confirm that my Motif XF6, which I bought in the USA (on the body stated: 120V 60Hz 30W) absolutely works fine from the mains in Russia 220V 50Hz directly without Converter 220V -> 110V. [...]

Now you have been “converted”...into a believer.   :-)

Thanks for posting. Thanks to Yamaha US for the FAQ.

I predict a decline in sales of AC line step-down transformers. Now I have to tell my stock broker to sell the shares in manufacturers of those converters.   ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2013 @ 11:25 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

I noticed that the labels on the power supply boards in my XS6 and XF6 had what seemed to be a logo, CO â–ŒEL (the “ â–Œ” appeared to be an elongated ”S”).

Some minimal searching on the net revealed a manufacturer of switch mode power supplies, COSEL:
http://www.cosel.co.jp/en/index.html

For those who want details of the LDC60F power supplies:
http://www.cosel.co.jp/en/products/sub02-6.html
http://www.cosel.co.jp/en/products/sub02-6_01.html
http://www.cosel.co.jp/en/products/pdf/SFE_LDC.pdf
http://www.cosel.co.jp/en/products/pdf/CME_LDC.pdf

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2013 @ 03:10 PM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010

5pinDIN, you’re just beyond comprehension for me - words fail me! I just can’t seem to thank you enough for your contributions to this forum. You go out of your way so frequently to really find things out and then always care to share your knowledge with all of us mortals. You really deserve a Clinician’s Corner of your own on Motifator.com.

Best regards,
Vikas

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ alternate panning
Next Topic:

Motif ES Performances to XF?? ››