mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Few questions"

Posted on: October 31, 2012 @ 09:46 PM
fazi69
Total Posts:  19
Joined  06-29-2006

Since manual is not clear in this department I have few questions about sound engine.
How much we can edit ? Is this full MOX/XS engine where I have full editing over all layers or some other closed format, maybe without multiple layers where everything we can save is a changed Attack, Relase and maybe amount of reverb ? Can I have full control like in motif ( except samples of course ) ?
Can we edit all VCM parameters or just change presets ?
I`m asking because it looks interesting. All I need is just midi light controler, audio interface and good sound source in good price.
Looks similar to cs1x and cs2x series and if I have full control over presets ( even thru external editor ) I`m in.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 04, 2012 @ 01:58 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The MX has a different focus for its feature set from either the Motif XF/XS or MOX keyboards.

For example, only on the Motif-series can you edit at the ‘sample’ level of the synthesis engine. The MOX-series does not have the ability to manipulate the individual samples on the level you can on the Motif-series:: where you can place individual samples into Waveforms, and then use those Samples and Waveforms in your own custom VOICES; you can even customize the Samples used in your Waveforms to the point where you can ‘sample’ them yourself.

The MOX series has the same basic architecture of Samples making up Waveforms and Waveforms selected as sources to make up VOICES. And like the Motf-series there are 8 Elements per normal VOICE, 73 per Drum Kit Voice - each Element references a Waveform. The User can create/build unique Voices using any of the provided Waveforms.

The MX-series has the same basic architecture of Samples making up Waveforms and Waveforms are used by the 8 Element normal Voices and 73 Element Drum kits, but in a similar fashion to the S-series (S90XS/S70XS) and Motif-Rack XS, editing at the ELEMENT level is restricted to access via specific control functions. For example, the COMMON LFO, Controller Setups, etc. And much like the S-series and Rack XS the focus is not on editing at the “from scratch”, Voice creation level of editing and much, much more about focusing the type of editing you would do while “performing” live on stage. So if it is used to control the harmonics or sonic shape of the sound, the depth of LFO applied, etc., anything that has to do with the sonic result during a musical performance, is available… and in some depth.

For example: “Mapping a sample to a Key Bank” is not the kind of editing available on the MX - while assigning a tempo synchronized LFO to control Filter Modulation Depth within a Voice IS. Basically, the “focus’” and by that I mean, the parameters that are available do go in depth, and do so with the thinking weighted towards what would be useful in performing the sound. What things should be accessible -without having to stop the groove (another concept of the MX). So it has a well thought out combination of editing features available. In depth where essential for the global task of ‘real-time’.  “Quick Access” is the term that comes to mind. 

Full parameter editing is available on the powerful VCM Effects (and all the other Effect Types) - this includes assigning your physical controllers to parameters of the Insertion Effects. The MX design optimizes access to your sounds via the front panel layout. You are always in a multi-timbral mode with access to any of the 16 PARTS in a program.

You can create Single, Split or Layer programs, and quickly setup a LIVE - interactive jam. As is typical, the basic sound is not compromised - the MX is certainly different from its siblings (the Motif-series, the S-series, and the MOX series) but to really understand the differences requires that you know what each does. They are priced according to their capabilites (make no mistake) - each has a feature set designed for a specific customer. Each has its own ‘focus’.

If you buy the Motif-Rack XS (although you get the Motif XS sound set), its format is obviously not designed for on-board in depth front panel editing - but if you were buying a Rack XS in the first place in depth Editing is obviously not what you are buying it for… you’d buy the keyboard version for that purpose. Its interface is far more elegant for front panel access.

This MX is for the customer (with a price range under $1000 USD) that wants the best sounding sample-based synthesizer engine from which to do music production or perform ‘live’ on stage. It makes all other products attempting to do these type of sounds (you know, pianos, basses, guitars, strings, leads, musical effects, etc., etc.,) in this price range, sound like toys by comparison.

And depending on what you need from your synth sounds (as a performer) you can store your configurations as an MX PERFORMANCE. And because it is an integrated MIDI/Audio interface and DAW Remote Control Surface - when you plug into a computer it takes on a whole other level of sophistication. And while none of this is earth shatteringly new in terms of concept… it certainly has market “teeth” simply because it is an innovation at its price point. You have to take a CONTROLLER keyboard anyway - why not take one that as 128-note polyphony, a 16 PART multi-timbral killer tone engine, and tons of top shelf Effects?

The MX connected via USB to your DAW becomes a compelling (expandable, open ended) system. The fact that every real time performance can be documented directly and faithfully to your favorite DAW puts the MX in a new category (my opinion here).  Again the best of both worlds. You cannot beat the on-board fully editable VCM Effects of the MX (not to mention the advantage of having them in dedicated hardware) plus a killer 128 note poly Motif-series tone engine, plus its a rugged keyboard controller and DAW control surface that can go to the gig. And has templates to control all the popular VSTi’s ready to go!

Bring the computer and link up or leave the computer at home and use the MX’s ability to stream MIDI Files or .WAV audio files directly from USB sticks, while you jam on top with the 128 note/16 PART multi-timbral synth. So even if you incorporate a ton of soft synths, VST Effects and DAW-magic when you are at home in your studio, you can mix that down and take it with you as a .WAV which you can stream through the MX, at the gig.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 04, 2012 @ 03:07 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

Thanks fazi69 for bringing this up, and thanks Bad_Mister for the detailed response.

Subject to a test drive, I believe this would be a great add to my live rig. And the MX49 is under 10 lbs., sweet!
Real time control is huge for me live, and it will save me a ton of time as opposed to building zones and layers on other machines.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 04, 2012 @ 04:23 PM
fazi69
Total Posts:  19
Joined  06-29-2006

Thank You.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 15, 2012 @ 04:51 AM
dokido
Total Posts:  23
Joined  08-04-2010

are the sounds as good as mox sounds?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 23, 2012 @ 03:28 PM
dokido
Total Posts:  23
Joined  08-04-2010

in the store they was surpriced about the quality, said the sounds were better then mox, or more like xs then mox

also said that the soundcard for computer were better, perhaps 24 bit?

any ideas?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2012 @ 05:36 PM
Joshy
Total Posts:  1823
Joined  08-05-2007

I also have some questions. 

Does the MX have portamento? 

Can I load any of my user voices from my XF6 excluding the User 1 bank, that don’t use new samples, to the MX? 

Are there any drawbacks like there are on the MM6-8 when using the MX as an external tone generator?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2012 @ 07:51 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Does the MX have portamento? 

Yes

Can I load any of my user voices from my XF6 excluding the User 1 bank, that don’t use new samples, to the MX?

No.

Are there any drawbacks like there are on the MM6-8 when using the MX as an external tone generator?

no. While the MMs were not, the MX is designed from the ground up to integrate in a computer-based environment, in addition to its stand alone keyboard synthesizer role.

At this price point, the customer is anticipated to be using a notebook, laptop, or desktop computer of the variety that you’re likely to find in most musician’s home studios (ie, not a 16 core muscle computer workstation).

It is designed to take the burden off of these real world computers and provide 128 notes of polyphony,16 PART Multi-timbral, stellar VCM effects, and arguably one the best all around sound libraries available. It is it’s own audio and MIDI interface. it is a remote control surface… Out of the box it is a great start to a home studio capable of credible work… Just add a computer and a pair of Yamaha HS50s

If your computer has been spitting up by the time you have 3 VSTi running, and open a few bands of EQ, an external instrument that integrates into the computer environment like the MX will allow one to start serious music production on a modest budget… Really.

Then it’s ability to access MIDI files and audio (wav) files direct from connected USB drives, means you can take all the magic mobile to a gig, and jam along with the synth. There’s an AUX IN that allows you to connect a handheld playback device as an alternate source to jam along with. The direct play from USB is very powerful and the 8 and 10 pound, 49 and 61 key models can easily go anywhere. We are confident there is a market for this type of fun with music!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2012 @ 10:42 PM
Joshy
Joined  08-05-2007

Thanks Bad_Mister for the reply!  Sounds like the MX would be a great keyboard to set up above my Tyros2 or XF6 on stage.  The 8 to 10 pound weight with all those features will likely be a big selling point.  This is a huge step above the MM’s!  I wish I could afford one, but I just got an XF6, so it’ll have to wait. 

One more question...How do the filters on the MX compare with those on the XF or XS?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 04, 2012 @ 05:32 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

The sound engine is same as the XS, so it should sound nearly the same...maybe some difference due to D/A converters, etc. A look at the presets shows names all XS and XF users are familiar with.

Editing of the sounds is limited to filter cutoff/resonance, filter and amplifier EGs.

Surprise: if MX is played via MIDI from an XS or XF will respond to the Assignable Function buttons and ribbon controller!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 04, 2012 @ 09:54 PM
meetlife
Total Posts:  1
Joined  12-04-2012

A little question.

The MX series has a voice/performance editor software? capabilities?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2012 @ 04:20 PM
Joshy
Joined  08-05-2007

The MX series is still not available here in Louisville, KY.  When will it be widely available?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2014 @ 02:09 AM
J_D_S_Y
Total Posts:  115
Joined  11-01-2011

Hey, I wanted to revive this thread.

As far as I know, the MOX and the XS share the 355mb of ROM samples.

The MX when translated to linear WAV 16bit 44.1k is only 177mb.

So are the samples truncated, or is the machine just using a compressed version of the same samples?

I’m just trying to decide if I’ll be happy with the actual sounds of the unit. I use MU XG tone generators, and I was debating getting whether to get a motif ES rack.

but the MX would serve as a good controller and if the sounds are good I might save for and go with that instead.

from what I learned just now the names of the patches are the same across MX and XS synths.

some clarity would be helpful.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2014 @ 04:11 PM
KostasT
Total Posts:  90
Joined  04-06-2013

All the above is true and additionally:

1) You CAN have access to full sound engine parameters editing (at element level) with third party software. John Melas’ MX voice editor is a good example. Of course you cannot alter the factory preinstalled waveforms/samples, but you can do everything else that AWM2 synthesis offers.

2) You are not limited only to 2 parts layers/splits, but either with the free VycroMX Performance editor or John Melas’ MX Mix editor you can create some MEGA Performances by using as many as 16 parts (the only limitation is the 128 notes polyphony).

3) By using John Melas’ MX Total Librarian you CAN import other Motif Native files (sound libraries). The tool is currently supporting x0, x1, x2, x3, x4, x5 and x6 file formats. I have done it with MOX, XS and even MOXF libraries. Of course you cannot import libraries with new waveforms/samples. There is also a limitation of the available internal waveforms. MX is loaded with 166 MB of samples, MOX and XS with 355 MB and MOXF with 741 MB, meaning that you will not get a 1-1 matching of the voice waveforms. But John Melas is using a clever algorithm in order to substitute the missing waveforms. (Check my utube video of importing MOX voices in MX:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFdSCilaQb8)

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ New MX Series
Next Topic:

MX49 On sale for $499 ››