mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif ES master mode--how to set footswitch to increment"

Posted on: June 11, 2012 @ 12:57 AM
scfjazz
Total Posts:  4
Joined  06-11-2012

Hi Everybody,

I’m a long-time Yamaha user (still have my SY77!), currently playing a Motif ES8.

I’m getting ready to play a show where I’ll need to change patches/splits quickly (sometimes between beats!).  I read somewhere that it was possible to program the splits/layers I would need as Masters, then use the assignable Footswitch to advance through them in sequence. 

Is the procedure for setting this up written out somewhere?  I’ve looked through the manual, and there’s a description of what parameter you have to change to get the foot switch to send a “Change program” signal, similar to what you would to change a patch via MIDI.  How can I apply this to increment from Master One to Master Two, etc?

Would it be easier just to upgrade to an XF8?  ;-)

Any help appreciated.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 11, 2012 @ 03:00 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

We moved your post to the actual Motif ES forum (you posted in the Motif-Rack ES).

I’ve looked through the manual, and there’s a description of what parameter you have to change to get the foot switch to send a “Change program” signal, similar to what you would to change a patch via MIDI.  How can I apply this to increment from Master One to Master Two, etc?

When you set the Motif ES’s Foot Switch = PC Increment (Progam Change Increment) when you step on the pedal it advances from Voice to Voice, from Performance to Performance, from Master to Master.

Press [UTILITY]
Press [F4] CTRL ASN
Press [SF3] FT SW (Foot Switch)
FS = 99 PC INC

You mention that you might need to change programs between beats. You may want to learn how to use the MIXING setup within the Motif ES to create your more time demanding switches. Each MIXING setup can contain as many as 16 VOICES - and you can arrange as many of them on a single MIDI channel as you require. So to create Splits and Layers you can recreate these in a single MIXING setup.

Also you can seamlessly switch between any of the sounds that are in the MIXING setup because they are all in a single Program. You access each sound by pressing a numbered button [1]-[16] which changes your MIDI transmit channel.

Say you need a Piano/Bass split and then need to change to an E.Piano/Strings/Pad Layer and then take a lead solo on a synth lead sound all in the same composition (and the change has to happen within a beat):

Put your VOICE in a MIXING setup:
Piano in PART 1, Channel 1
Bass in PART 2, Channel 1
E.Piano in PART 3, Channel 2
Strings in PART 4, Channel 2
Pad in PART 5, Channel 2
Synth Lead in PART 6, Channel 3

Store your MIXING setup.

Now when the TRACK button is lit you press [1] you are playing the piano/bass split, when you press [2] you are playing the layered setup. You even hold the E.Piano/Strings/Pad sound’s last chord while pressing button [3] and switch to your SynthLead… The transition will be seamless… the layered sound can be held either with your fingers or with a sustain pedal, while you solo with the synth lead. When you release the chord or pedal, the layered sound stops.

Check it out. You can work it out so that you are using MASTERS only when you have the time to easily transition your setup… and use the MASTER to recall specific SONG and/or PATTERN MIXING setups that configure multiple VOICES for your more complex transitions between programs.

You’ll find you get the best of both worlds.

Would it be easier just to upgrade to an XF8?  ;-)

Button pushes would be slightly different but the theory of operation is exactly the same! You’d have more fun and you’ll sound two generations of Motif better !!!
:-D

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 12, 2012 @ 12:09 AM
scfjazz
Total Posts:  4
Joined  06-11-2012

Bad_Mister,

Wow, thanks for the quick and comprehensive reply! I followed this procedure and now I can footswitch through the Master and Performance list with plenty of speed. 

There are a few cues where I might need the Mixer procedure, but this will work great.  Thanks again,

Steve

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 10, 2012 @ 06:01 PM
psterling
Total Posts:  6
Joined  05-08-2011

Thanks Bad_Mister for the very detailed answer.  I had a classic Motif 7, but now play on a MOX6.  I believe your steps will work for my new board as well, so I’m gonna try them out…

[ Ignore ]