mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Port Open Error in Cubase AI5 with MOX 6"

Posted on: November 30, 2011 @ 01:03 PM
Dily
Total Posts:  258
Joined  11-30-2011

I got my new MOX6 yesterday. Everything seem to work fine except when I try to add a 2nd instrument track in Cubase AI5 I get the “Port Open Error”. I know I can use a MIDI track but an instrument track gives me greater convenience in adding inserts later.

This is what I did.

1. Launch Cubase AI5
2. Select the “Default” template
3. Right click to “Add Instrument Track”
4. Select “External - MOX6/MOX8 VST” for my 1st track
5. Right click to “Add Instrument Track”
6. Select “External - MOX6/MOX8 VST” for my 2nd track

When I launch “Edit Instrument” for track 2 I get the “Port Open Error” message in red. Funnily, the VST seems to connect without an issue for track 1.

Please help. Thanks!

Ronneres

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 30, 2011 @ 05:24 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

You should only use INSTRUMENT TRACKS when a synth is not multi-timbral. That is, it only has one stereo output.

Instrument Tracks are used when you can open multiple instances of a synth, presumably you only have one MO-X so you can only open one instance of the MO-X VST INSTRUMENT… That one instrument is multi-timbral, 16 PART multi-timbral and each PART can be routed to on a separate MIDI Channel via a separate MIDI Track of Cubase. MIDI Channels 1 through 16.

You will want to work with the MO-X in either SONG or PATTERN mode. This is where you are multi-timbral and multi-MIDI channeled!

You want to use MIDI Tracks (a separate one for each multi-timbral PART you want to use in the MO-X). Each MIDI track, routed to the “MOX6/MOX8 VST”, will be responsible for a different MIDI channel. 

Click PROJECT > ADD TRACK > MIDI > Make sure the MIDI OUT is set to “MOX6/MOX8 VST” (tracks will automatically be assigned to the next higher MIDI channel)

If you only want to use the MO-X as a single instrument (VOICE mode) - then (and only then) does an Instrument Track make sense.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 30, 2011 @ 07:54 PM
Dily
Total Posts:  258
Joined  11-30-2011

Thank you Bad_Mister.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 07, 2014 @ 08:06 AM
autowah
Total Posts:  9
Joined  06-28-2014

I often get this error in Cubase 7.5.

But I mostly wanna use my MOX6 in ‘Voice Mode’.
The worst part is that I sometimes can work on a project in Cubase and everything works fine, and before I close Cubase I always make sure to save everything(!).
But the next time I open exactly that project, then the MOX6 starts nagging about port error.
And the sad thing is that the MOX6-port error is more of a rule rather than an exception. Very frustrating!

So what is the simplest most foolproof way of getting the MOX6 to actually REMEMBER EXACTLY where we were in Voice Mode the last time in exactly that Cubase-project?

I need short simple instructions like the one:
Click PROJECT > ADD TRACK > MIDI > Make sure the MIDI OUT is set to “MOX6/MOX8 VST”

Because I’m dyslexic, so I haven’t read an entire manual in all my life, and never will. (Hopefully the future will be less discriminating towards dyslexics.)

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MIDI faders controlling EL and Voice levels?
Next Topic:

MOX Performances/Arpeggios ››