mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Save & Load Voices, Performance & Masters to USB Thumb Drive?"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: April 06, 2011 @ 12:47 PM
novadort
Total Posts:  6
Joined  09-01-2004

Does anyone know if you can save, store and load Voices, Performances & Masters to a USB Thumb Drive on the Motif XF7 for use on another XF7 (backline) instead of using the Flash Memory Card?

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2011 @ 01:27 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Welcome to the forums!

Of course, you can STORE, SAVE and LOAD data in Motif XF specific file formats.

When you SAVE an ALL data file all stored data is saved in this file. The entire Motif XF gets saved, all User Voices, User Performances, Master setups, Utility mode settings, Sequencer data, and any user samples in the 128MB USER SDRAM etc., etc. is all saved in this file TYPE. (.X3A).

You can choose to SAVE or not SAVE the contents of the FLASH BOARDS to this ALL data fie. (Of course if you do not own the optional Flash Boards, you can still SAVE and LOAD data in a very flexible fashion)

From an ALL data file you can selectively load VOICES, PERFORMANCES, SONGS or PATTERNS.

Other Motif XF file formats all you to save specific areas of data - it is fairly flexible and designed so that you can combine data from different filed sources into new configurations.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 19, 2011 @ 06:32 PM
btolar
Total Posts:  3
Joined  04-19-2011

I recently downloaded “Inspirationn in a Flash” for my new XF7- wow finally the piano sound that I wished the Motif came with. I love this board but hated the pianos at loud volumes.  Love this one though.

Question 1- I backed up my stuff with an All file to USB, installed the “Inspiration All File”, picked the sounds I liked, re-loaded my setup from my All file on USB, now I want to add just the one piano voice to one open slot, but it wont allow me access to any of the voices in thew file menu, so I cannot select one voice to load. How can I get one voice from inspiration in a flash onto one USR slot without wiping anything else out?

Question2- I tried as an expiriment loading the “Inspiration” all file onto FL1.  As you know, it only loaded the waveforms/samples.  Now I want to delete all of them except those I will need for the sounds I intend to keep from “Inspiration” (if I ever figure out how to load them individually).  How do I delete large groups of wafeforms from the FLash Memory without deleting “ALL”?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 19, 2011 @ 06:35 PM
btolar
Joined  04-19-2011
Bad_Mister - 06 April 2011 01:27 PM
Welcome to the forums!

“From an ALL data file you can selectively load VOICES, PERFORMANCES, SONGS or PATTERNS.”

I know this i supposed to work as I did it with a couple of voice packeges I purchased.  However it does not give me this option when trying to access individual voices of the “Inspriation in a flash” All File.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 19, 2011 @ 07:35 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

This DVD explains everything about loading and saving on the XF:

http://shop.motifator.com/index.php/dvds/motif-series-yamaha-dvds/yamaha-motif-xf-fully-loaded-dvd.html

Alternately, you can get the download version here:
http://www.keyfax.com/index.php/motif-xf-fully-loaded-download-only.html

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2011 @ 01:22 PM
btolar
Joined  04-19-2011

Anyone be willing to tender an answer that doesn’t cost $29.  I keep spending money and getting nowhere.

Once again- “Inspriation in a flash” downlaod x3A file will not allow you to load individual voices.  The all file must be loaded in then an all voices file saved to USB, then you can load individual voices back in using that newly created file.  I’m quite certain the DVD wont cover that.  If anyone has a better solution, please enlighten me.  Thank you

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2011 @ 02:23 PM
DavePolich
Joined  07-27-2002
btolar - 20 April 2011 01:22 PM

Anyone be willing to tender an answer that doesn’t cost $29.  I keep spending money and getting nowhere.

Once again- “Inspriation in a flash” downlaod x3A file will not allow you to load individual voices.  The all file must be loaded in then an all voices file saved to USB, then you can load individual voices back in using that newly created file.  I’m quite certain the DVD wont cover that.  If anyone has a better solution, please enlighten me.  Thank you

Well, the DVD was developed so that Bad Mister and people like myself wouldn’t have to keep answering the same questions over and over again,
for free.

But I digress -

1. Put the Inspiration In A Flash ALL file on a USB drive.

2. Put the USB drive in your XF “To Device” slot.

3. Press FILE

4. In the screen, scroll down and set type to ”voice”.

5. Scroll back up and highlight the Inspiration In A Flash file name.

6. Press ENTER.

7. Now a list of voices in the User 1 bank of this file will appear.
To view the contents of each User Bank in this file, physically press
the corresponding User Bank button (For example, if you want to see
the voices in User Bank 3 in this file, press USER 3 on the XF.

8. Scroll down to highlight the name of the voice you want to load.

9. Now cursor right and then down to change the destination - which user bank and slot you want to load the voice to.

10. Press the SF button directly beneath the word Load and then press
ENTER.

11. The single voice will load, bringing along any samples that belong to it.

This is covered in the “XF Fully Loaded” DVD.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2011 @ 05:57 PM
Redhotpoker
Total Posts:  3601
Joined  11-18-2010

Dear Dave,
Thanks for posting this again.
I can understand your and Phil, tiring of replying to the same questions over and over.
Perhaps a sticky for some of these instructions could be placed in a separate folder or a link so the newboys/gals can access it easilly
You know, an FAQ.
The search function works great as well.

As for the videos and instructional downloads, I think many are tapped out, after the XF purchase + the short list.

Just my thoughts… with much respect.

be well

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2011 @ 06:47 PM
yamaha76
Total Posts:  237
Joined  01-03-2010

Hi DavePolich and yamaha team,

i’m totaly agree with Redhotpoker about a link or sub-menu for the XF which could be named: “How to do for...” Like does “Moessieurs” with examples (Papaphoenix)on his French website and who explains “slowly” how to do this or that about Voices,Sampling,Sequencer and so on, with or without vidéos. Very pedagogic and well done. I know there are many answers from you and it is great. But most of us are composing music and don’t want to spend time to ask themself too much questions when they must load or save a sound that they quickly need. XF is a very good Synth as the others Motifs (i have the 3 and bought a second XS because the first was to buy the XF!). But the new concept of loading/saving with the flash Memory (the less understood fonction) brings a few confusion to many XF Owners. I learned with Moessieurs how to save/load sample voices more easily than with the Full Loaded DVD that i’ve bought. DVD ,unfortunately, is only in english language? Why not having include more languages like it is the case in DVD Film or pdf fills in several languages? Not easy to fellow!!! 
Like says Redhotpoker : Just my thoughts too...With much respect too.
All the best to you and yamaha Team.
yamaha76

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2011 @ 12:11 PM
videoman123
Total Posts:  16
Joined  04-07-2011

Hi Dave,

I followed your procedure from your April 20 post, but I think I did something wrong. 
1.  I tried trasferring only one voice to User Bank 3 001, and it did transfer.  However, it will not play any sound.
2.  Excuse my ignorance, but did I also erase the preloaded voice which came in User Bank 3 001?

I open to any suggestions…

Many thanks,
Mitch

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2011 @ 01:01 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
videoman123 - 06 July 2011 12:11 PM

[...]2.  Excuse my ignorance, but did I also erase the preloaded voice which came in User Bank 3 001?[...]

User Banks 2, 3 & 4 have duplicates of what’s in the Preset Banks, so you haven’t lost anything. Only the User Bank 1 has unique Voices, and if you ever overwrite them and want them back, a factory reset will accomplish that.

See page 231 of the XF Reference Manual for details. Note that by not checking the “All” box, the restoration is limited to USR 1 Voices and User Drum Bank A01-A08 Voices.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2011 @ 03:29 PM
videoman123
Joined  04-07-2011

As always, thanks for all your great advice 5pinDIN. You’re help has already been tremendous to me, and I value your input. I was hoping that was the case :)

Any idea why I am unable to hear the sound of the voice I transferred?  Keep in mind that I only added the one sound, I didn’t copy the whole bank.

Any thoughts?
Mitch

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2011 @ 03:59 PM
DavePolich
Joined  07-27-2002
videoman123 - 06 July 2011 03:29 PM

As always, thanks for all your great advice 5pinDIN. You’re help has already been tremendous to me, and I value your input. I was hoping that was the case :)

Any idea why I am unable to hear the sound of the voice I transferred?  Keep in mind that I only added the one sound, I didn’t copy the whole bank.

Any thoughts?
Mitch

You keep asking this question and I simply don’t understand. Did you follow the procedure EXACTLY for loading a single voice? There is no reason for it not to sound if you followed the instructions exactly.

Again -

1. Insert USB stick with the files on it that you want.
2. Press FILE.
3. Set ”type” to ”voice”.
4. Scroll back up and highlight the library from which you want to
load.
5. Press ENTER.
6. After a few seconds, you’ll see a list of voices in the User Bank 1
part of the library. To see what is in the other User Banks in this library, press the relevant USER button on your Motif XF.
7. Locate the voice you want to load by scrolling to and highlighting it.
8. Cursor right and then down to the Bank and number fields. These are
your destination fields - where you will load the voice to.
9. For example, if you want to load the voice to User Bank 3, number B01, you would set Bank to ”User 3” and number to ”017”.
10. Press the SF button underneath the word “Load” and then press ENTER.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2011 @ 04:32 PM
videoman123
Joined  04-07-2011

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response.  Yes, I followed your steps exactly as shown.  I even tried copying banks 1 -3.  Although they will copy all the sounds in the banks, some of them simply will not play any sound at all. 

Example… I copied Bank2 to USR Bank 2 and the following voices will not play any audio:  MMh Choir, Gopsel Velo, Live Scat, Live Dooh, Live Baah, Live Daoo, Power Grand, Jazz Grand. 

However, within the same bank, S700 & Ooh Choir & Pad, Brass Orch B1, Sax Section1 play just fine. 

The same type of inconsistency is happening with the other banks.

I am not trying to create extra work for you Dave...just want to get it working.

Honestly, I am stumped.

Any suggestions?
Mitch

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2011 @ 05:32 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I followed your steps exactly as shown.  I even tried copying banks 1 -3.  Although they will copy all the sounds in the banks, some of them simply will not play any sound at all. 

Example… I copied Bank2 to USR Bank 2 and the following voices will not play any audio:  MMh Choir, Gopsel Velo, Live Scat, Live Dooh, Live Baah, Live Daoo, Power Grand, Jazz Grand. 

However, within the same bank, S700 & Ooh Choir & Pad, Brass Orch B1, Sax Section1 play just fine. 

The same type of inconsistency is happening with the other banks.

We are not clear how you exactly “copied” Bank 2 to USR 2.

If you mean you are attempting to LOAD data from a file into your Motif XF. You have certain parameters that you must direct. One of the keys to getting to a point where you understand the Load function is to recognize exactly what the process is doing.

I’ve learned long ago on this site that before we get involved with a dialog about why you are not successful, we have to know what your particular situation is. If you are not successful, then you do not have the exact same situation as the original poster on the thread, (and perhaps you think it applies to you when in fact the thread my not).

So for the record (and since you did not start your own thread) let’s go over what you have in terms of FL boards, where they are located, and what is on them at the time you attempting to LOAD Voices (you used the word copy) to different locations.

COPYING Voices does not involve FILE function as much as it involves the STORE function. So please give us details on exactly what your situation is and we’ll help you master this load/copy/move Voice data around thing…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2011 @ 07:08 PM
videoman123
Joined  04-07-2011

Hi Bad Mister,

I think I discovered the problem.

On the right side of the screen, I set the screen to:
Load USR - USR
FL1 - None
FL2 - None

I’m not using an expansion board, so I now know that FL1 and FL2 should also be set to USR.  Worked like a charm when I tried it!

Thank you for time, and all your help.  Love my new board, and I happy to be associating with such nice and savvy people.

With gratitude,
Mitch

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Question about Vintage Keys
Next Topic:

PLG 100 XG Board for sale ››