mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Choosing Digital Piano or Electric Keyboard?"

Posted on: March 09, 2011 @ 02:01 AM
Redhotpoker
Total Posts:  3601
Joined  11-18-2010

When I read through this article, I was sort of amazed that a prospective keyboard buyer would look at so many factors, leaving ‘user friendliness in last place of choices.
•budget,
•design,
•touch-velocity sensitivity (the faster a key is played, the louder the sound),
•dynamic range,
•expandability and upgradeability,
•key action (synth vs. weighted keys),
•number of keys (classical musicians need more),
•pedal levels (full pedal, half-pedal and quarter pedal vs. on/off),
•playing level of the user(s),
•polyphony (the higher the number, the more acoustic-sounding the instrument),
•portability,
•sequencing and sound mixing capabilities,
•sound quality (realistic tones, sound decay, speaker quality), and
•user friendliness.

Wasn’t the easier to navigate, user friendly Menu, of our Motif XF an update from previous Yamaha workstations, something the customers requested and Yamaha listened to and provided?
But an easier read menu, doesn’t equal simpler music production.
Without the quality and quantity of valuable resources here at Motifator, where would many of us/the Motif users/owners be?

“"Whether one is buying a digital piano for portability, recording or jamming, it is important to have a basic knowledge of the types of keyboards available. Prospective buyers should also know what to look for when buying a digital or electric keyboard.

Digital Piano vs. Electric Keyboard
Prospective buyers may not know that a digital piano is not the same instrument as an electric keyboard. Both instruments are powered by electricity and use a tone generator to match the sound with the key that is played. How those tones were created differs between these two keyboard instruments.

Digital pianos use digitally sampled sounds. For example, a digital recording of an acoustic instrument, such as the piano or guitar, is made so that a digital piano can replicate the sound of an acoustic instrument. In addition to this, many digital pianos possess weighted keys (heavier key action in the lower register) and are touch sensitive (or “touch-velocity” sensitive).

In contrast, electric keyboards use computer-generated sounds. Many models lack weighted keys and touch-velocity sensitivity.

Types of Digital Pianos
There are three types of digital pianos: a digital piano, an ensemble digital piano and a stage piano:

A digital piano is built into a cabinet. It usually has the full 88 keys, just like an acoustic piano. A small selection of sampled sounds, speakers and a metronome are built into a digital piano. Some digital keyboards possess basic recording capabilities and alternative tunings.

An ensemble digital piano has either 76 or 88 keys. There is a built-in metronome as well as a wider variety of sounds and accompaniment patterns. Ensemble digital pianos can record, while newer models can be connected to the computer for greater recording, composing and editing capabilities.
Unlike a regular digital piano, a stage piano lacks a cabinet. These generally require external speakers or amplifiers. Stage pianos are commonly used for gigs because of their portability.

Types of Electronic Keyboards
There are three types of electric keyboards: the arranger keyboard, the keyboard synthesizer and the music workstation:

An “arranger” is a standard electronic keyboard that contains a wide selection of rhythm and accompaniment patterns. Users can arrange these accompaniment patterns using the Fill-In and Intro/Ending buttons.

A keyboard synthesizer, also called a “synth”, enables users to create and combine various sound waveforms. Synthesizers are used primarily by musicians involved with music production and recording.

A music workstation is a combination of four electronic instruments in one. It is a musical keyboard, sampler, sequencer and synthesizer. Users can edit their recordings and burn them onto a CD.

Tips on Buying a Digital Piano or Electronic Keyboard
There are several considerations that prospective buyers should make when choosing a keyboard:

•budget,
•design,
•touch-velocity sensitivity (the faster a key is played, the louder the sound),
•dynamic range,
•expandability and upgradeability,
•key action (synth vs. weighted keys),
•number of keys (classical musicians need more),
•pedal levels (full pedal, half-pedal and quarter pedal vs. on/off),
•playing level of the user(s),
•polyphony (the higher the number, the more acoustic-sounding the instrument),
•portability,
•sequencing and sound mixing capabilities,
•sound quality (realistic tones, sound decay, speaker quality), and
•user friendliness.
When testing a digital piano or electronic keyboard, shoppers should listen to it through the speakers and through headphones. This way, one can hear the subtle differences in dynamic range, sound decay and sound quality.

Popular Brands of Digital Keyboards and Electronic Keyboards
There are numerous models and brands of digital and electronic musical keyboards. The leaders in digital pianos and electric keyboards are Alesis, Casio, Clavia, Korg, Roland and Yamaha.

Prospective buyers should read product reviews of various models and brands to get a better sense of what type of keyboard would suit them. Three examples of keyboard review sites are Clever Joe’s Musician Resource, Dan Maynard’s Piano Reviews and Piano World.

There are numerous advantages to owning a digital piano or electric keyboard. However, beginner music students, music teachers, composers and performing artists each have different musical needs. Prospective buyers should learn about the various types of digital and electric keyboards available, as well as the keyboard features in order to choose an instrument that best meets their needs."”

http://www.suite101.com/content/choosing-a-digital-keyboard-piano-or-electric-keyboard-a253522

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2011 @ 11:28 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Just because it was last on the list doesn’t mean it’s the lowest priority. Every buyer is going to have different priorities for each item on the list.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2011 @ 12:04 PM
MoGut
Total Posts:  1535
Joined  05-08-2004
Redhotpoker - 09 March 2011 02:01 AM

Digital Piano vs. Electric Keyboard
Prospective buyers may not know that a digital piano is not the same instrument as an electric keyboard. Both instruments are powered by electricity and use a tone generator to match the sound with the key that is played. How those tones were created differs between these two keyboard instruments.

Digital pianos use digitally sampled sounds. For example, a digital recording of an acoustic instrument, such as the piano or guitar, is made so that a digital piano can replicate the sound of an acoustic instrument. In addition to this, many digital pianos possess weighted keys (heavier key action in the lower register) and are touch sensitive (or “touch-velocity” sensitive).

In contrast, electric keyboards use computer-generated sounds. Many models lack weighted keys and touch-velocity sensitivity.

Types of Electronic Keyboards
There are three types of electric keyboards: the arranger keyboard, the keyboard synthesizer and the music workstation:

Chas

I would debate the terminology used here. This author is distinguishing between digital and electronic technology, then uses examples for each that I would know to be the same.

Correct me if I’m wrong but:

Digital Piano = sampled wavs (every mfg has their own name for this SCM AWM2, analog modeling,Dynamic VAST etc.) Most models capable of sending/receiving digital outputs/inputs

Electronic Piano = A term used in the past that were actually digital pianos, before computer technology came into favor, and before consumers understood was digital/analog meant. These were sampled sounds as well. Entry level keyboards might have been computer generated wav, but the keyboard still triggers wav files ultimately which is a digital file. Older generations triggered analog audio.

Electric Piano = sound generated mechanically, then by use of pickups captured the sound then routed to amplification. Obviously analog audio. Again, this term more than any was misused for many years, as DP’s were continued to be called electric pianos

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2011 @ 09:11 AM
Redhotpoker
Joined  11-18-2010

Meatballfulton,
I agree, the list could be in any order, depending who’s making these choices. But if one has very little keyboard knowledge prior, and goes out to make a seemingly easy keyboard purchase, the vast choices of makes models and features would make it very difficult, without previously making a list of this sort.
With our Motif XF as eg.sample:
All the various controls and parameter adjustabilities make this instrument look very challenging, and I think all the more
fun to play with.

Mogut,
Yes, you are correct. I like to think the author was defining terms in todays conotation, but also attempting to make the differences easier understood for the average joe/johanne, that perhaps doesn’t have your experience or actual hands on practical knowledge.

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2011 @ 01:02 PM
MoGut
Joined  05-08-2004

•polyphony (the higher the number, the more acoustic-sounding the instrument)

Actually the more I read that referenced article the more I think it’s garbage. You can file it that into the corresponding bin.

No offense to the original poster, as I’m sure redhot is aware there is alot of bad info on the net. The author of course has good intentions, but starting beginners off armed with flawed info is never good.

Teachers… heh the articles author

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2011 @ 10:59 PM
Redhotpoker
Joined  11-18-2010

Hi Mogut,
What? Yup, no everything on the web is true.
Always unrefutable. Honest, chiselled into heavy slabs of granite.
I’m surprised that she is an Albertan, from Calgary, and a music teacher to boot.
Sooo, I suppose you might want to send her a friendly note and
correct her terminology. ( ? ) May as well.

I mean, if it’s really bothering you, ‘her, a so called professional’ sending out miss-info. on the www.

It’s good to share knowledge, help her become a
better instructor of truths,,,.

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2011 @ 12:34 AM
MoGut
Joined  05-08-2004

It never occurred to me. As I generally am the one always being corrected. Of course I have no credentials either, but I think Im right :)

Not a bad idea. Although

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2011 @ 01:38 AM
Redhotpoker
Joined  11-18-2010

Mogut,

“Just ‘LeDoux’ it”

hahaha

let her have it, both barrels.

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2014 @ 12:01 AM
isaiahcallnan
Total Posts:  1
Joined  04-22-2014

we shouldn’t ignore the daily security in our life such as the GPS tracking or other method used by someone to steal our privacy. Therefore a video wireless blocker with a good function of cutting off cell phone signals as well as other frequency bands signals can help to create the security system to protect us. And then we can enjoy the quiet and peaceful environment.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Many Moons of Janelle Monae
Next Topic:

Motif Artists ››