mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "I know it’s not easy, but can you. . . (Set up Sysex to control Element Levels in a Voice, from ReMOTE)"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: November 09, 2010 @ 02:26 PM
tommymandel
Total Posts:  81
Joined  01-15-2003

I’m an old Classic user and programmer, just got an XS Rack. I’ve been doing great getting up to speed on this, a very different beast than the Classic. (Phil - I still remember seeing you doing a workshop at Manny’s explaining Master Mode, when the Motif first came out. (I think I bought mine at Sam Ash in White Plains, but not right after that. I didn’t ‘get it’ that quickly.))

I’ve read and searched, and understand that the Motif Keyboard’s sliders are dedicated to controlling Element Levels in Voice Mode, and they do it through Sysex, not CC Data, which is why it’s not something easily ported over to another controller.

This Motifator Forum member, andiho, did create a Template to control an XS Rack, for the Novation ReMOTE SL series. I downloaded it, and it’s Great!!! However, AFAIK, it’s not a complete set of controls. It uses the 1st 4 of the ReMOTE SL’s 8 sliders to control Voice 1-4 Volume Levels in MultiMode, and Sliders 5-8 are unassigned. I just wrote to him, asking if he’d be interested in further tweaking of his Template, for enormous compensation of course ;), and am hoping to hear back from him. But in the meantime, is there any advice (sysex strings) you could give me/us?

I tried a few things:
•looking at Andiho’s sysex strings and trying to adapt them,
•recording my old Motif Classic sliders into Digital Performer then examining and entering those sysex values* into Sliders 5-8 on the ReMOTE,
•copying a few strings from the Yamaha DataSheet, such as “F0 41 ee (element number in hex) 20” e.g.... etc.) Nothing worked.

Is there something I’m missing? (ha! - of course there is! - otherwise it would be working for me, lol.)

Could you tell me how I might be able to do it?

Thanks a million. Tommy Mandel, nyc

* F0 43 10 6B 41 (00,01,02...07) 20 7F F7

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2010 @ 01:22 PM
tommymandel
Joined  01-15-2003

Bad Mister, I guess I’m hoping that you would chime in here. If there’s absolutely no way to address the individual Element volume levels in a Voice via MIDI, sysex included, NPN, RPN included, (which I’d learn how to do by myself with a nod from you that it’s possible) then I will try to trade this excellent XS Rack for an ES6. I can’t stress how useful the 4 sliders are in playing organ from the Motif. I’m sure I don’t have to, as I’ve heard you play. Thanks again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2010 @ 01:36 PM
tommymandel
Joined  01-15-2003

(...short of making a Multi out of many single Element Voices, & turning off Parts 1-4 receive on Basic Channel...)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2010 @ 04:09 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

In Voice mode the Motif XS sliders send System Exclusive messages to control ELEMENT level.
In Performance mode the Motif XS sliders send System Exclusive messages to control PART volume.
In SONG/PATTERN mode the slider send cc007 on the respective MIDI channel 1-8 when a PART 1-8 is selected and 9-16 when a PART 9-16 is selected.
In MASTER mode the sliders are programmable to any Control Change (cc) number 001-095 with the exception of 032.

Okay that said, if you want to control Element level of the Motif-Rack XS from an external device, you would need to send it System Exclusive messages that correspond to the Motif-Rack XS (not the Motif Classic… that would be an entirely different product ID ant that is why it did not work)

System Exclusive messages include a Product ID. So a message for a Motif Classic would be meaningless to a Motif-Rack XS.

F0 43 10 7F 03 41 ee 20 dd F7

Where ‘ee’ is the Element 1-8 (00-07)
and ‘dd’ is the data byte 0-127 (00-7F)

F0 = start of exclusive message
43 = Yamaha Manufacturer ID
10 = Parameter Change message, first device
7F 03 = Motif XS series product ID
41 ee 20 = High/Mid/Low address for VOICE mode Element Level parameter
dd = Data Byte
F7 = end of exclusive message

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2010 @ 05:03 PM
tommymandel
Joined  01-15-2003

Thank you SO much, Bad Mister !! !!! !! !!!

Followed your instructions and it’s working.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 03, 2011 @ 03:02 AM
andiho
Total Posts:  18
Joined  05-29-2009
tommymandel - 09 November 2010 02:26 PM

I just wrote to him, asking if he’d be interested in further tweaking of his Template, for enormous compensation of course ;), and am hoping to hear back from him.

Hi,
i´m very sorry not answering your questions, was very busy the last months. So i very rarely checked the motifator forum.

But im very happy that my remote-sl template is still in use ;-9
I prgrammed it some months ago only to use the arpeggio-features of the rack-xs, so there is plenty room for improvement. And thats what im trying to do now.

Mayby we can help us prgramming the ultimate remote-sl-template für the rack! ;-)

So, rock on and have fun

Andi

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 09, 2011 @ 12:38 PM
tommymandel
Joined  01-15-2003

Andi, I am posting an .smf of a RemoteSL MkI dump that I just did:
It is your 2 Templates for the Rack XS, with a few tweaks I made. . . based on BadMister’s helpful hexidecimals.
Each of the 2 (midi) tracks has one Template dump, 2 in all.
If there’s any way you can use it, or build further on it, that’s great. Thanks for creating them!
Tommy

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 09, 2011 @ 12:47 PM
tommymandel
Joined  01-15-2003

The file did not attach, not sure why, but maybe its file name was too long. I’ve shortened it’s filename and .zip’d it, and am trying again. Again, it’s AndiHo’s 2 Templates for a Novation RemoteSL MkI to control a RackXS, with a few tweaks I tried to add, based on Bad Mister’s hexidecimal information.

File Attachments
AHrackXStweakTM.mid.zip  (File Size: 1KB - Downloads: 442)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 12, 2011 @ 02:04 AM
andiho
Joined  05-29-2009

Hi tommymandel,
downloaded your midi-file but it looks pretty empty. There are 3 tracks an only 1 short sysex-message.... And nothing happens… ;-)
Mayby you can send the remote-editor-file (*,syx).
thanks
andi

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 12, 2011 @ 02:40 AM
tommymandel
Joined  01-15-2003

darn! sorry andi. how do i dump as a .syx file?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 12, 2011 @ 09:48 AM
andiho
Joined  05-29-2009

You can save a .syx-file in the novation remote editor software.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 13, 2011 @ 09:25 PM
tommymandel
Joined  01-15-2003

Here it is, Andi.

File Attachments
RemoteSLtweaks.zip  (File Size: 3KB - Downloads: 396)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 13, 2011 @ 09:27 PM
tommymandel
Joined  01-15-2003

It may not be an improvement over your originals, but it helps me do some things that i always did with my Motif Classic keyboard, that, till now I couldn’t do on the Rack XS. Thanks again for your guidance here.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 13, 2011 @ 10:30 PM
fosfen
Total Posts:  19
Joined  01-15-2011

Hey I also have this combo, Remote SL 37 and Motif XS, both rack and classic versions. I did make a template a while ago but I don’t have it here right now. I’ll try and remember to post it here when I get a chance. Just wanted to chime in since you guys also have these, we can definitely exchange some files and tips.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 13, 2011 @ 10:34 PM
fosfen
Total Posts:  19
Joined  01-15-2011

I think this might be it, though I don’t have the gear home here to test this.

File Attachments
Remote SL - Motif XS voice.zip  (File Size: 1KB - Downloads: 420)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 15, 2011 @ 04:04 AM
andiho
Joined  05-29-2009

Thanks for your files. Will try them at the WE.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MIDI CH 1,2&3;muted in Multi mode
Next Topic:

XS Rack Volume Output seems REALLY LOW ››