mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Recording Seperate Parts"

Posted on: February 11, 2010 @ 01:44 AM
whaldeaux23
Total Posts:  55
Joined  10-10-2008

I’m going to be recording a demo and the engineer has asked about recording each of the different Parts on a Performance onto a seperate track.  I don’t believe the engineer is familiar with the mLan capability, and I believe he is planning to use ProTools (rather than Cubase).  I’ve noticed in the manual there is some capability to assign parts to different outputs, but not sure I can accomplish what the engineer is requesting.

Any input (or should I say output?) would be appreciated.

Thanks

Waldo the Newb

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2010 @ 09:24 AM
Multi76
Total Posts:  898
Joined  07-19-2009

You can record the performance directly to the XS sequencer.
Each part will be assigned to its own track.
It is now possible for you to send each specific track as midi and/or audio.

It is even possible for you to adjust the effects, or if you want to send the audio “dry”.

You can send audio thru the main outs, digital out, mlan or export each track as separate WAV’s.

And since it’s in the XS sequencer, sync should not be a problem.

I’m sure there are more options for you…

/M

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2010 @ 03:30 PM
whaldeaux23
Joined  10-10-2008

M:

Thanks for your thoughts.  How would I record a performance into seperate tracks in a live recording context (i.e., playing along with other instruments in a group setting)?  I don’t think the sequencer approach would work.  My experience in recording a Performance to a WAV file does not yield seperate tracks.

Thanks for your help!

W

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2010 @ 03:55 PM
RobsonLuis
Total Posts:  264
Joined  12-11-2008

How the Performance Direct Recording to Sequencer works:

Performance Song or Pattern
Part 1>>>Track 1
Part 2>>>Track 2
Part 3>>>Track 3
Part 4>>>Track 4

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2010 @ 06:08 PM
Multi76
Total Posts:  898
Joined  07-19-2009

I suggest you try how the performance record function works.
It is very possible to export each track as separate WAV’s.

And your second post did bring some more info about what you are trying to do… record live with other instruments.

/M

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2010 @ 07:12 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

If you are going to be playing a PERFORMANCE (which I assume means you are going to be multiple instrument sounds within that PERFORMANCE all at the same time) and you are playing along with other musicians, I would have to say that Pro Tools would be a poor choice as a DAW to capture what you need - all as audio/all at once. And here’s why I say that:

In order to record the multiple PARTS of your XS to separate audio tracks you will need an interface that allows you to send each of the PARTS to separate audio Outputs. You can do that via the Motif XS equipped with an mLAN16E2 firwire option (built-in on the XS8).

With it you can output each of the PARTS of your PERFORMANCE to its own discreet audio output. Unfortunately, Pro Tools cannot connect to the Yamaha firewire port… Pro Tools has its own digital audio firewire protocol, that requires you use their mixer or I/O device… in such a case you will only be able to output the Motif XS via the main analog STEREO OUT plus you can assign the other PARTS to the analog Assignable L/R OUTPUTS. But this will not give you discreet audio outputs for each PART.

We are not really sure what PERFORMANCE or how many PARTS you require - so this is all speculation - but what you could do if your engineer is hopelessly “hooked” on the Pro Tools-thing, is attempt to record all your PARTS to Pro Tools as MIDI data… while recording the rest of the band “live” (as audio).

At least this way you can play “live” and play along with the other players… He will have to record them as audio and you as MIDI… once you have the MIDI tracks recorded to Pro Tools, you can later send that data back to the Motif XS and transfer the data back to Pro Tools using the track-at-a-time method.

This is not as bad as it sounds… Since we presume Pro Tools can record MIDI and audio at the same time, while sending MIDI clock to your XS, all you would need to do is have it so everyone can hear you. Record the “trigger notes” to a track of Pro Tools…

When you finish the MIDI recording, you can simply play the trigger notes back to the Motif XS - this will trigger the ARPs just as if you were playing them - You simply have to route the PART OUTPUTS isolating one individual PART. In this manner, one at a time, you can capture their audio to Pro Tools.

However, using Cubase and the mLAN16E you could record everything from the XS “live” as audio to discreet AUDIO tracks. It is not that one is necessarily better than the other, just less hoops to jump through.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2010 @ 07:54 PM
whaldeaux23
Joined  10-10-2008

Bad_M:

Thanks for your thoughts - I had suspected that splitting the performance parts into seperate tracks while recording live would require using the mLan capability.  Appreciate your idea re recording into midi, then bouncing it all back, and will pass that on to the engineer. 

Thanks for everyone’s help and input.

Waldo

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2014 @ 02:30 PM
justnuts
Total Posts:  6
Joined  01-07-2013

is this still true for the motif xf now in 2014? This post was started 4 years ago and I was thinking that newer version would be able to do this?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2014 @ 03:12 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
justnuts - 16 November 2014 02:30 PM

is this still true for the motif xf now in 2014? This post was started 4 years ago and I was thinking that newer version would be able to do this?

Not much has changed, as far as the XF is concerned, other than that instead of an mLAN16E2 the current FW interface is the FW16E, and that a recent Yamaha Steinberg FW driver should be used.

As to Pro Tools, see:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/466647/

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Controlling The Motif From An External Midi Keyboard
Next Topic:

Copy a performance ››