mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Crazy - Seal patch/perform (XS)"

Posted on: November 10, 2009 @ 05:43 PM
zikerstu
Total Posts:  326
Joined  08-06-2008

I was just curious if anyone has ever programmed a patch or perf for the song “Crazy” by Seal. I only have a few days to see if it’s possible to come close to in a live setting for an upcoming gig.  -Stu

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 10, 2009 @ 11:19 PM
boulez
Total Posts:  669
Joined  02-12-2007

Re Crazy - Seal patch

I don’t know the music but would like to help.

Is it reasonable to assume that Crazy Seal is some sort of circus background music?
(à la Saint-Saëns perhaps?)

B

PS Either way, it sounds like a fascinating act.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 11, 2009 @ 02:58 PM
zikerstu
Joined  08-06-2008

I sure somewhere in the world a crazy seal would have circus music kickin’ in the background but that’s a different issue completely!  There’s an artist by the name of “Seal” not Seal Smith or Seal ones, just Seal! You know, like “Prince”? One namer guy! Anywho he has a fantastic timeless song called “Crazy” & i guess the fellas wanna cover it so i am about to spend some quality time programming (trying to anyway) a performence and attempt to come as close to the studio magic in a live setting as possible. But if your a master whiz-bang kinda-cat who has already come across this “crazy” challenge i certainly would love some pointers on how you approached it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 11, 2009 @ 10:01 PM
boulez
Total Posts:  669
Joined  02-12-2007

Forgive me - English sense of humour you know?  - if that’s not a contradiction in terms!

I do know who you mean - he was born a mile from here in Paddington.

Next time I make a sad attempt at humour, I shall use a large red font so there will be no doubt that some dumb Limey is trying to be funny! :))_

All the best,

B

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2009 @ 12:03 AM
tbone
Total Posts:  318
Joined  02-15-2009
boulez - 11 November 2009 10:01 PM

...no doubt that some dumb Limey is trying to be funny! :))_
B

There was no doubt and a smirk on this dumb Cannuck’s mug when I read your post.

wise guy!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2009 @ 12:22 AM
tbone
Total Posts:  318
Joined  02-15-2009
zikerstu - 10 November 2009 05:43 PM

I was just curious if anyone has ever programmed a patch or perf for the song “Crazy” by Seal. I only have a few days to see if it’s possible to come close to in a live setting for an upcoming gig.  -Stu

I’m hearing lots of voices to make this work. Given a couple of days only I might recommend you cheat a bit.

With a bit of work, you could sculpt this quite easily to perform.

good luck

File Attachments
Seal - Crazy.zip  (File Size: 28KB - Downloads: 353)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2009 @ 05:41 PM
zikerstu
Joined  08-06-2008

Hey thanks for the midi file Tbone! I most definately will continue to sculpt a perf for this. The midi file is pretty cool though! Thanks again, - Stu

p.s. I thought the limey guy was pretty funny, it’s just harder to tell the style of humor without hearing the accent! lol

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2009 @ 06:13 PM
synthlogic
Total Posts:  481
Joined  11-13-2008
tbone - 12 November 2009 12:22 AM

With a bit of work, you could sculpt this quite easily to perform.

Now I’ve got clay shavings all over the keyboard…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2009 @ 06:24 PM
zikerstu
Joined  08-06-2008

So glad to see other players with a real sense of humor! (Not enough laughs in this world as it is.)But I did create a performence for “Crazy” the other night. Gotta love the arps on this XS! I used a synth organ and messed with the filters on each element to give it that sweeping effect. Then of course modified a synthy string patch, and for the twangy-hi wacky synth-organ thingy that just happenes a few times during the chorus, i tweaked an organ patch and added a few more elements to it. Other than using the Roland for the voicey intro and arp and orchestral strike, the Korg MS2000b does the intro sweep synth and it’s ready to go! Whew! Somebody club me cause i feel like a seal!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 18, 2014 @ 02:27 PM
nooncheez
Total Posts:  7
Joined  02-08-2012

I know I’m late to the party here but found this thread since I’ve been re-creating this song also.  I’m actually using a MOX6 for this elusive arpeggiated organ riff.  I ended up creating my own organ sound combining three “ELEMENTS”: two :compact electronic: wavs and one :16’ drawbar:.  Since there isn’t a preset arpeggio pattern in the MOX, I ended up using PERFORMANCE mode to create that staccato arpeggiated rhythm and then created an arpeggio from that and saved it in a USER ARP bank.  I set the gate to around 78% and added some Tempo Cross Delay with dotted 8th echo.

In the organ voice I assigned the mod wheel as a source for FLT-Frq with a depth of +8.  You will need to adjust the filter cutoff frequency to, say, -5 and the MW depth to about +8.  Riding the mod wheel will sweep the filter to emulate the sound we hear in the recording.

I used my Korg Kronos to sequence the entire song as best I could.  My band wanted to cover the song and it’s been a labor of love to say the least, thanks to Trevor Horn’s notorious production techniques lol.  Damned if I didn’t use all 16 tracks!  I’ve uploaded what I’ve got so far to Sound Cloud.  The drums aren’t very good (I’m not a drummer) and neither is the keyboard guitar but at least there’s something there to approximate it.

https://soundcloud.com/nooncheez/seal-crazy-cover

When and if I’m feeling like it’s good enough I’ll share the MIDI data on request ;)

Seal - Crazy (cover)

[ Ignore ]