mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "LOGIC9, YAMAHA XS MLAN TUTORIAL"

Page 1 of 3
Posted on: October 20, 2009 @ 02:07 AM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Most of the setup is similar to Logic 8. This Tutorial however, is geared toward both Snow Leopard and the YSFW Driver… I am also including a Logic Environment containing all of the XS’ Factory Voice Names… It is a much more stream-lined version of an Environment than others commonly available online…

EDITED ON 10/20/09 AT 12:59PM BY MOTIF8MINE

I guess one of the hazards of working late is that the mind loses sharpness. Anyway, upon review this morning, I realized I omitted the mLAN Monitor Settings? Anyway, I have updated the PDF…

Hope it blesses…

EDITED ON 01/13/14 AT 11:55AM BY MOTIF8MINE

NOTE: The provided environment was supplied because, at the time this tutorial was written, several XS users were requesting a Logic environment in order to change voices from within Logic. I have never recommended this however, because the Motif’s own software editor does so much of a better job at this task when run alongside Logic. In addition, it provides far easier access to the XS’ quick setup parameters, Output select settings and voice editing parameters, etc.

I recommend downloading and installing the latest Studio Manager and Voice Editor software from Yamaha and disregarding the part of the tutorial dealing with the environment...

CORRECTION: in step 2 of the tutorial, there is a mistype- [UTILITY]> [F5] Control> [SF1] Remote, set DAW Type to “Logic”. Press [SF2] MIDI> Interface= USB; and set MIDI Sync= MIDI or Auto; Press [Store] to save the settings… Select mLAN instead of USB

color=blue]Peace...[/color]

File Attachments
TUTORIAL ENVIRONMENT.zip  (File Size: 402KB - Downloads: 3091)
LOGIC 9, MLAN TUTORIAL.pdf  (File Size: 801KB - Downloads: 8773)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 21, 2009 @ 11:32 PM
boulez
Total Posts:  669
Joined  02-12-2007

Firstly - many thanks for all the work you have put into this.

Due to frequent requests for Logic, we have refurbed another room in our building and plan to use it as a small project studio.

Our setup with Logic 9 will use an XS8 and an 01X on OS X 10.58 - we therefore have to use the mLan network driver 1.2 due to our using more than 1 mLan device.

Do you think the XS part of your setup will be of any use to us here?

Thanks again

B

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 22, 2009 @ 02:47 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Thanks Boulez,

Please excuse my ignorance as the XS8 is the only Yamaha product that I own. It is my assumption that the 01X or mLAN Network would appear as your Core Audio I/O. And, as such, you would need to read documentation on that IEEE1394 Bus update for the XS to make sure it will not interfere with the functioning of the mLAN Network…

But defintely, the XS setup is still relevant with the possible exception of the mLAN Monitor Settings, which, again I assume would not be necessary.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 22, 2009 @ 05:31 PM
Dreamflight
Total Posts:  2688
Joined  03-07-2008

Good job on posting the documents ... I’ve grabbed them, and will have a peruse later. I haven’t really used the environment much in Logic although I’ve dabbled with it for automating parameters on soft-synths with custom controller widgets.

I look forward to having a good sit down with it :)

Df.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 22, 2009 @ 06:48 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

As I mentioned it is s.p.a.r.s.e. The only only adaptation I have made to is call up XS voices and while every Logic project I record has that functionality, it is my recommendation that it accomplished via the XS Editor running along-side Logic… It is far more convenient and time-saving…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 22, 2009 @ 08:50 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004
boulez - 21 October 2009 11:32 PM

Our setup with Logic 9 will use an XS8 and an 01X on OS X 10.58 - we therefore have to use the mLan network driver 1.2 due to our using more than 1 mLan device.

Do you think the XS part of your setup will be of any use to us here?

Hey Boulez, I did come accross The Following Post regarding a Logic, 01X, XS8 configuration.

While the settings on the XS are going to pretty much be the same as in the Tutorial, (with the exception of the IEEE1394 Setting), the biggest difference is going to be the naming of the ports from within Logic… That is, Port 1 in your setup will be reserved for Remote Control of Logic via the 01X. Port 6 is reserved as the XS main MIDI Port. Port #7, to control Logic from the XS and Port #8 as the XS’ MIDI Out Port- for any synth physically connected to the XS MIDI Out…

And as I mentioned earlier, it is critical that you have the right drivers / firmware loaded versus the latest drivers…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 23, 2009 @ 12:57 AM
tnguyen
Total Posts:  17
Joined  02-16-2009

Hi,
I am reading your documents.  I have tried to use the AMS, but the screen shots that you have in your document is different than mine.
I am at 10.6.1 OSX are you?  Please advice.

Thanks motif8mine.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 23, 2009 @ 09:24 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004
tnguyen - 23 October 2009 12:57 AM

Hi,
I have tried to use the AMS, but the screen shots that you have in your document is different than mine. I am at 10.6.1 OSX are you?  Please advice.

I’m on 10.6.1 also… Open AMS, select Audio MIDI Setup>Window and toggle the Audio and/or MIDI Windows from ‘Hide’ to ‘Show’…

If this somehow doesn’t resolve, post a pic…

Image Attachments
Screen shot 2009-10-23 at 8.16.54 AM.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 24, 2009 @ 07:09 PM
boulez
Total Posts:  669
Joined  02-12-2007

Thanks for all the info - we are fine on the mLan side of things and the way that Logic sees the ports.

Your info on the XS with Logic may well prove invaluable - well done!

Thanks again

B

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 04, 2009 @ 11:39 AM
gustavimprov
Total Posts:  59
Joined  01-16-2009

dittoz

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 15, 2009 @ 07:29 PM
jlucan
Total Posts:  9
Joined  11-13-2009
motif8mine - 20 October 2009 02:07 AM

Most of the setup is similar to Logic 8. This Tutorial however, is geared toward both Snow Leopard and the YSFW Driver… I am also including a Logic Environment containing all of the XS’ Factory Voice Names… It is a much more stream-lined version of an Environment than others commonly available online…

EDITED ON 10/20/09 AT 12:59PM BY MOTIF8MINE

I guess one of the hazards of working late is that the mind loses sharpness. Anyway, upon review this morning, I realized I omitted the mLAN Monitor Settings? Anyway, I have updated the PDF…

Hope it blesses…

I have followed almost everything to a “T”. I have logic 9 and a motif es 8 with mlan, so some settings vary. However my problem remains, I just cannot get audio to record at all in logic (this also happened in cubase le but i decided to just switch to logic). I have my signal being recognized and MIDI works fine when a MIDI track is created. I hear my sounds via the keyboard and see the notes being recognized in the transport window when my audio tracks are selected but there’s no waveform generated at all. I believe my i/o assignments are correct both within my keyboard and DAW. Also i dont have any logic environment integrated (i have a motif es 8 so I figued the XS wouldn’t be applicable in my situation) .Whats keeping me from being able to record audio???

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 15, 2009 @ 08:44 PM
jlucan
Joined  11-13-2009

Ok i finally got it working.....it had everything to do with assignment part out selections in my yamaha. I was aware from reading other previous posts that L&R;is what it defaults to but this corresponds to channels 15&16;, so my question is then why didnt my DAW use this inputs as default?...why do they inherently select 1&2;instead?....I guess i’m confused as to the whole assignment input/output concept between my DAW and yamaha

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2009 @ 01:23 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

It has everything to do with which mLAN interface you are using. That’s what the link referenced in my reply to your question HERE. Also note, in order to multi-track record, those output settings must be changed for each audio track you are going to record…

Glad you got it running…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2009 @ 06:14 PM
jlucan
Joined  11-13-2009

Thanks so much motif8mine......Your advice on this forum is invaluable, highly appreciate it!

I think I read elsewhere on here something about being able to record arpeggios and master effects in realtime recording via mlan, can you elaborate on this?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 26, 2009 @ 03:31 PM
fctwente
Total Posts:  66
Joined  11-26-2009

Hello motif8mine,

I’m new on this forum, and starting up working in my new homestudio now for two weeks, I have a Macpro, Logic 9 studio and RME audio fireface 800 and motif XS7 without Mlan connections( I have to build that in later on)

my connections:
2 midi cables from xs to interface
2 jacks from output xs to input interface

my problem, I got your environment tutorial, and it works perfect in Logic, and I can change instruments within the xs with logic, my problem: I want to record different voices from XS7 into logic, at this moment it only works with one track in logic.

can someone help me?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 26, 2009 @ 10:24 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

fctwente, I have seen your other posts on this. Celebrating Thanksgiving now but be patient and will answer here: Click On Me

jlucan,
I missed your post. I have answered at least a few posts here on recording arps from the XS into Logic. So do a search first and see if they help you. If not, start a new thread in this forum and I’ll get back to you…

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 3