mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Controlling Sounds from External Controller"

Posted on: September 21, 2021 @ 08:59 AM
Marinus
Total Posts:  2
Joined  09-21-2021

Hello,
I’ve been working on a stage setup, where I have a controller keytar, to control the MOXF6. Most of my songs need only one voice, so I stored all the songs I play in separate “Performances”. Using my Keytar, I am then able to select the Performances by sending Program Change messages to the MOXF, as long as it is in Performance mode.

For some songs I need to switch between several MOXF sounds during the song. I can’t seem to do that using the same Performance because it sends everything over the same MIDI channel. Even if on the MOXF the sounds are stored in different Performance tracks, once I access the Performance with the external controller, all the sounds come out together and layered.

I can use SONG MIXING mode and store the sounds in separate tracks and assigning them to separate MIDI channels. Using different Keyboard zones on different MIDI channels I can then select each sound separately. However, I have not found a way to use Program Change messages to select the next song on the MOXF6 from the external controller.
Is it even possible like this?

Thanks for any assistance with this.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2021 @ 12:40 AM
Mighty Motif Max
Total Posts:  317
Joined  04-30-2016

Hello there,

Welcome! Okay, so I don’t own a MOXF, but I own a Motif XF which is very, very similar. Keep in mind that I have not tried this exact method myself as I don’t have things set up your way, but I have made use of master mode for set lists at virtually every gig since 2016.

I would suggest putting all your performances *and* songs/mixings in the order you will use them in in Master Mode. Master Mode acts like a set list, and you should be able to select Master Mode programs via midi (this is the part I haven’t tried before). There will be a slight delay/cut off when switching between songs as the MOXF swaps out effects and voices - it’s not capable of seamless transitions. Give that a try.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2021 @ 05:20 AM
Marinus
Total Posts:  2
Joined  09-21-2021
Mighty Motif Max - 29 September 2021 12:40 AM

Hello there,

Welcome! Okay, so I don’t own a MOXF, but I own a Motif XF which is very, very similar. Keep in mind that I have not tried this exact method myself as I don’t have things set up your way, but I have made use of master mode for set lists at virtually every gig since 2016.

I would suggest putting all your performances *and* songs/mixings in the order you will use them in in Master Mode. Master Mode acts like a set list, and you should be able to select Master Mode programs via midi (this is the part I haven’t tried before). There will be a slight delay/cut off when switching between songs as the MOXF swaps out effects and voices - it’s not capable of seamless transitions. Give that a try.

Hi Max!!

First of all, thank you so much for your help! Indeed, using the Master Mode is the first avenue I pursued, but I can’t find any indication in the documentation that I can use MIDI by means of Program Changes to select different Masters. (There is probably a reason why they called it ‘Master’ mode.) There is talk of using a foot switch to scroll down the Masters list, but I have found a workaround with Performances that works for the moment, although not in the way I envisioned.

For the songs that need more than one Voice, I have created multiple Performances, and during the song, I can use my keytar buttons to send a Program Change to switch between Performances. (MSB=63, and LSB=64or65, followed by the Performance number)
Another workaround might be of course to stay close to my MOXF on stage and use the buttons on that to change MOXF Masters between songs :b. But the idea of the keytar was exactly to be able to roam around! :)

However, since there is a special button on my keytar to change between keyboard zones using different MIDI channels, I still see that as the preferred and the most elegant option, because that way, I only need one Performance, or Song, or Master, per song. I’ll keep trying.

File Attachments
moxf6moxf8_en_dl_a0.pdf  (File Size: 3506KB - Downloads: 799)
  [ Ignore ]