mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Editing the “ACCENT PHRASE” and understanding the RandomSFX"

Posted on: November 18, 2012 @ 06:43 PM
el-Odysseas
Total Posts:  190
Joined  04-05-2012

Hallo dear Mox-Users,

I just discovered a great feature in MOX called “ACCENT PHRASE”.
It really adds some “realistic touch” in a performance!

I was just wondering if there is a way to edit the Accent Phrase.
Under ARP-EDIT, PLAY FX, AccntVelTh and AccntStrtQtz, I could only control the minimum velocity that will trigger the Accent Phrase, turn it OFF and quantize it.
Could I for example choose another Accent Phraze, or are they fixed for each VOICE?

Could also anyone explain me the difference between the ACCENT PHRASE and the “Random SFX”

Greetings,

Odysseas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 18, 2012 @ 07:48 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Definitions of both are found on pages 14 and 15 of the MOX REFERENCE MANUAL. The particular Accent Phrase goes with a particular arpeggio Type. For example, a kick drum + cymbal crash as an “accent” - you would understand these events as being specific note numbers that are triggered. A Random SFX is just that - there are Elements that over several octaves of notes provide different sound effects as is appropriate for a specific Voice. For example, above the range of the acoustic bass are several octaves of acoustic bass sound effects. These includes note glissandos, knocks, scrapes, fret buzz and other noises that occur when playing an upright acoustic bass. So an Accent Phrase would get specific note-on events, and a Random SFX would choose a note-on randomly and apply that paricular sound effect. Applied to a VOICE Element other than where the anticipate sound fx are mapped would make very little musical sense. So the notes have specific intent and go with a specific arp Type.

The Reference Manual is very good when you “discover” something new and interesting because it is designed to cross-reference the subject and take you to several places where the information applies; thus allowing a greater understanding of the item you are researching.

That is what a Reference Manual does and is the best way to use it. When you are ready to find out a bit more about what a particular item does or what it is related to… Also included as a PDF was the “Synthesizer Parameter Manual” - it also is excellent for getting more information on a specific parameter or function.

The “Accent Phrases”, and “Random SFX” were very much made to go with specific Arpeggio TYPES. The data sits and awaits you to use it or not. You cannot really reassign the actual data. The data is an “Easter egg” - you have to try it to know what the Accent Phrase is going to be. Same is true with the Random SFX, they may be applied as a “Key Off Sound” - meaning, some of the sound effects might be a ‘finger noise” scraping along a guitar string at the release of a chord - that sound effect “phrase” would make little or no sense out of context. So each Sound FX “Phrase” goes with a particular ARP TYPE.

If however you are going to create your own, you can. That is one of the secrets to the 4 TRACK arpeggio creation tool. Each Track of the PUT TRACK TO ARPEGGIO function, allows you to create a unique set of rhythmic data. Say you want to create a strumming arpeggio, you can record the “raking” upstroke of muted guitar strings on a separate track with a slightly offset rhythm from the full-bodied down-strokes of the chord sound. And on a third track you could record a finger zing to occur once every fourth measure… and so on.

It is similar to how some ARP TYPES (specifically the GtMG and BsMG) go with Guitar Mega Voices and Bass Mega Voices, and would make very little sense out of that context.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 18, 2012 @ 08:16 PM
el-Odysseas
Total Posts:  190
Joined  04-05-2012

The Reference Manual is very good when you “discover” something new and interesting because it is designed to cross-reference the subject and take you to several places where the information applies; thus allowing a greater understanding of the item you are researching.

I will do that.
I appreciate your taking the time though!

Odysseas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 12, 2021 @ 12:28 AM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013

Anybody know how to create your own “Accent Phrase” or “Random SFX” with a user defined ARP?

are one of the four apreggio tracks used for the “accent phrase” ?

[ Ignore ]