mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Note Resolution Question"

Posted on: April 17, 2021 @ 11:43 PM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013

I have 4 synths that I’m using to spread out a heavy polyphony load:

Motif XF, MoX 8, MM8 and QY100

The Motif, MoX and QY100 all have a note resolution of 480 PPQ
The MM8 has 96 PPQ

I’m recording to the Motif Sequencer and doling out work from the Motif to the other synths.

Does the fact that the MM8 has only 96 PPQ mean that my durations, and locations within the measure will be forcibly quantized by the MM8.  I know that note resolution is a function of the sequencer.  Do the notes go straight to the tone generator on the MM8.  I know on the Motif and the MoX the notes see the sequencer before they see the tone generator.  I don’t have a block detailed block diagram of the MM8 so I’m not sure.  Has anyone had experience with mixing synths that have different note resolutions?

Will I run into problems in the long run mixing 480 PPQ and 96PPQ.

In most cases I would print to audio to avoid heavy polyphony loads, but in this case, I can’t.  Everything has to stay midi while orchestrations and arrangements are being matched.

So I’m combining the tone generators on the Motif, MoX, QY100, and MM8 to squeeze as much tone generator polyphony as I can.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2021 @ 09:30 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

OK, the MM8 sequencer has one-fifth the note resolution of the other synths. The question is whether the sequencer limitations can affect tone generator timing when the MIDI events aren’t being sequenced by the MM8.

Here’s a challenge…
Make a recording with the XF sequencer that takes advantage of the 480 PPQ - something with timing that 96 PPQ couldn’t follow accurately. Play that sequence back to the MM8, and see how it sounds. Then record the sequence on the MM8, and compare its recorded timing to the previous playing. Differences should be obvious if the XF sequence was taxing enough.

Two things you’re likely aware of, but to keep in mind:
1) The tempo setting determines the length of a quarter note.
2) You haven’t mentioned how you’re “doling out” MIDI to the synths. Since MIDI data is serial, that can affect timing - if all the synths are seeing all of the data (even if it’s segregated by MIDI channel), a degree of MIDI clog can occur.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2021 @ 12:06 PM
lastmonk
Joined  12-17-2013

Thanx 5pinDIN,

The synths are all daisy chained using regular Midi cables.  The Motif will talk to the other 3 synths on separate channels.

The Motif is going to be the controlling clock.  I see your point on really using something that will push the 480 ppq.  Its my understanding that the standard Midi Clock happens at 24 ppq (please correct me if I’m wrong) and that the sender and receiver do some magic to scale the clock and that somehow as best as is possible this allows multiple midi devices that may have different note resolutions to kind-a work together.

I’m going to try your test.  I’m sure you’re right.  That makes a lot of sense.  There has to be a difference between 96 ppq and 480 ppq.  The question is how gracefully does the Midi Clock/Sync resolution degrade.

What I’m thinking at this point is, that because the QY100, the Mox and the Motif all have 480ppq,
that I will save the less taxing parts for the MM8 Where tempo and note divisions should be able to be handled by 96 ppq, and send the more demanding stuff to the Mox and QY100.

I’ve been thinking about getting an old fashioned midi patch bay.  The newer Motu, and Midi Solutions seem to require a computer, and I try to avoid using the computer in my setup.

I’m thinking that a midi patch bay might help to mitigate sync & timing issues here and there, but I’m not sure.

Anyway thanx for the advice!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2021 @ 02:03 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

You’re welcome.

Yes, MIDI clock is 24 PPQ. Sequencers can subdivide that - a more sophisticated one will do that by a factor of 20 to obtain 480 PPQ.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2021 @ 08:31 PM
lastmonk
Joined  12-17-2013

Interesting side note is QY100 BPM rating .....

Motif 480 ppq 5-300 BPM
Mox 480 ppq 5 -300 BPM
QY100 480 ppq 25-300 BPM
MM8 96 PPQ 11-280 BPM

Its all good, I’ve done my tests.  For the load that I need to put on the MM8 it will do just fine.  This basically gives me 128 +64 + 32 +32 = 256 polyphony.  That solves my problem.  I’ve got several large sequences that must be done in midi, but I can use submixes at some point, and print them to audio( using Tascam DP 24 SD) and the 256 polyphony is just enough to get my big sub mixes done.

Problem solved, thanx again 5pinDIN

[ Ignore ]