mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "USB MIDI with iPad compatible?"

Posted on: November 12, 2013 @ 10:49 AM
goog
Total Posts:  39
Joined  06-01-2005

Hi,

I just got the new MOXF6 today and updated FW to 1.03. A quick question about USB MIDI here.

When trying to connect a USB Cable from MOXF to my iPad 2 using the Camera Connection Kit, it seems no connection is detected on my iPad. This never happens when doing the same equipments/method with my Motif XF and S70XS.

So my question is that is the MOXF CoreMIDI compatible? Or do I have to use Yamaha’s own MIDI interface to connect with iPad?

Thank you!!

Jittipon

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2013 @ 11:09 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
goog - 12 November 2013 10:49 AM

I just got the new MOXF6 today and updated FW to 1.03.

By “FW” are you referring to FirmWare? Usually “FW” is used as an abbreviation for FireWire - OS (Operating System) is how we designate the firmware.

goog -

A quick question about USB MIDI here.

When trying to connect a USB Cable from MOXF to my iPad 2 using the Camera Connection Kit, it seems no connection is detected on my iPad. This never happens when doing the same equipments/method with my Motif XF and S70XS.[...]

What setting do you have for MIDI IN/OUT in Utility Mode? Make sure it’s USB, not MIDI. See page 149 of the MOXF Reference Manual.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2013 @ 12:03 PM
goog
Joined  06-01-2005

What setting do you have for MIDI IN/OUT in Utility Mode? Make sure it’s USB, not MIDI. See page 149 of the MOXF Reference Manual.

Of course, I set the MIDI mode to USB already because I’ve done this with my Motif XS/XF and S70XS before. In fact, I even try moving the USB cable end from MOXF to my S70XS and it worked right away!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2013 @ 12:19 PM
pax_eterna
Total Posts:  209
Joined  11-03-2013

what iOS version are you running?

I will assume it is 7, so.......

In what order are you doing the connections? (for example are you connecting the CCK and USB cable before or after running the iOS app)

What app are you using on the iPad?

There is no requirement afaik to be forced to use the Yamaha proprietary interface - I have already confirmed elsewhere that the Griffin MidiConnect works fine - running into any of my iOS apps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2013 @ 01:01 PM
goog
Joined  06-01-2005
pax_eterna - 12 November 2013 12:19 PM

what iOS version are you running?

I will assume it is 7, so.......

In what order are you doing the connections? (for example are you connecting the CCK and USB cable before or after running the iOS app)

What app are you using on the iPad?

There is no requirement afaik to be forced to use the Yamaha proprietary interface - I have already confirmed elsewhere that the Griffin MidiConnect works fine - running into any of my iOS apps.

Yes, I’m running iOS 7

I tried both ordering: CCK first and Opening the App first.

I tested with Yamaha’s Faders App, Yamaha’s Performance Editor App, MIDI Touch and some other MIDI App and it doesn’t work when using CCK and USB Cable. It works fine when I use iRig MIDI though.

:(

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2013 @ 01:42 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
goog - 12 November 2013 12:03 PM

Of course, I set the MIDI mode to USB already because I’ve done this with my Motif XS/XF and S70XS before. In fact, I even try moving the USB cable end from MOXF to my S70XS and it worked right away!!

I’m sorry if that seemed too obvious, but you’d be surprised how often users overlook things like that.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2013 @ 02:32 PM
pax_eterna
Joined  11-03-2013
5pinDIN - 12 November 2013 01:42 PM

I’m sorry if that seemed too obvious, but you’d be surprised how often users overlook things like that.

ROTFL!! Including yours truly! (me)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2013 @ 02:39 PM
pax_eterna
Joined  11-03-2013
goog - 12 November 2013 01:01 PM

Yes, I’m running iOS 7

I tested with Yamaha’s Faders App, Yamaha’s Performance Editor App, MIDI Touch and some other MIDI App and it doesn’t work when using CCK and USB Cable. It works fine when I use iRig MIDI though.

hmmm....do you have a standard USB Midi (normal 5 pin din) adaptor, say like the Edirol UM-sx? Just for testing purposes.

I know for a fact that the UM 1 works with the CCK. In standard mode (not advanced)

I use the Griffin MidiConnect (in/out 5 pin dins to an Apple 30 pin connector) nowadays and I have no issues with anything.

I use it as I can then specify what length of midi cable I want to use, rather than being forced to use the length the manufacturer provides in the proprietary mini jack to din configuration. And it is a direct apple connector link which is always going to be better :) imo.

I do recall reading somewhere that ymmv using the CCK kit and ANY midi device, that it can be a little bit hit and miss.

Going on the info you have supplied I can see no reason why your setup would not work. Perhaps then this is a case for Yamaha to get involved?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2013 @ 08:09 PM
goog
Joined  06-01-2005
pax_eterna - 12 November 2013 02:39 PM
goog - 12 November 2013 01:01 PM

Yes, I’m running iOS 7

Going on the info you have supplied I can see no reason why your setup would not work. Perhaps then this is a case for Yamaha to get involved?

Yes. That’s what I’m thinking. Maybe the ‘USB To Host’ is difference to other board since it is now 4 Channels Audio interface / MIDI interface compare to original MIDI interface only. But in that case I would love to have an update fixing the problem since USB CoreMIDI is very useful and very handy to manage (just 1 cable and an adaptor which is typical for many iOS users and new iDevices don’t use the 30 pin no more).

Thank you Pax_Eterna and thank you in advance Yamaha!

Jittipon

Ps. If anyone has an iPad with CCK please help try the connection and see if you’ve got the same results. Thx!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2013 @ 03:33 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

What is CCK is that the camera kit?

The camera kit works with the MOX and Motif XF for MIDI, I frankly have not tried it on the MOXF, you’re obviously saying it doesn’t work.

If you need it to work right away, get a Yamaha iMX-1 or iUX-1 which definitely work… As to the Apple Camera Kit (built for cameras no doubt) there maybe an additional fruit loop (apple loop) that needs to be jumped through… I’ll find out.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2013 @ 07:00 AM
goog
Joined  06-01-2005
Bad_Mister - 13 November 2013 03:33 AM

What is CCK is that the camera kit?

The camera kit works with the MOX and Motif XF for MIDI, I frankly have not tried it on the MOXF, you’re obviously saying it doesn’t work.

If you need it to work right away, get a Yamaha iMX-1 or iUX-1 which definitely work… As to the Apple Camera Kit (built for cameras no doubt) there maybe an additional fruit loop (apple loop) that needs to be jumped through… I’ll find out.

Thank you for your reply and finding out. I live in Thailand and the official distributor doesn’t bring iMX-1 and iUX-1 to the store. That’s fine because i can order it from eBay anyway.

Please confirm us again if the Camera Connection Kit works on MOFX.
Thank you!
Jittipon

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 29, 2019 @ 10:44 PM
rmckee22
Total Posts:  1
Joined  12-26-2019

I have a MOXF8 and it works with the camera kit. One thing to check though is the keyboard needs to be in performance mode or it wont work, I struggled with this. I got it working then all a sudden it stopped and I couldn’t figure it out, I then realized if the keyboard is in voice mode it wont communicate with it until its switched to performance mode

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 30, 2019 @ 02:17 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
rmckee22 - 29 December 2019 10:44 PM

I have a MOXF8 and it works with the camera kit. One thing to check though is the keyboard needs to be in performance mode or it wont work, I struggled with this. I got it working then all a sudden it stopped and I couldn’t figure it out, I then realized if the keyboard is in voice mode it wont communicate with it until its switched to performance mode

Welcome to the forum.

There are three Editor apps available for the iPad…
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/moxf/apps.html
The MOXF needs to be in the appropriate mode for each to work.

The Performance Editor Essential works in Performance mode.
The Voice Editor Essential works in Voice mode.
The Multi Editor Essential works with Songs/Patterns.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2021 @ 03:41 PM
j_house
Total Posts:  5
Joined  01-07-2018

Is there a way to change a voice thru the Multi-Editor?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Backup MOX - restore to MOXF
Next Topic:

How do I create my own (sampled) voices? ››