mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Effects Problem"

Posted on: January 20, 2021 @ 05:38 PM
dp1
Total Posts:  7
Joined  04-20-2020

Hello

I have a question related to the effects of the MOXF6.  I will try to explain step by step the sequence of the button presses I make. 

In a new song I have various tracks with data on them.  I press [MIXING] then F6 [EFFECT] then F2 [MFX].  I turn the ‘SWITCH’ parameter to ‘ON’.  I then choose a ‘TYPE’ - for example ‘DELAY LR ST’.  I then press the [EXIT] button on the panel twice.  This takes me back to the general ‘SONG’ view with the sixteen tracks on display. 

What I then want to do is apply the ‘DELAY LR ST’ to some tracks and not others.  For example, I want to apply the ‘DELAY LR ST’ to tracks 2, 3, 4, and 5.  But track 1 which is a DRUM track I do not want any effects applied to that track. 

Is there a way of applying the MASTER EFFECTS to some tracks and not others.  I have tried various things but to no avail. 

Thankyou

Dave

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2021 @ 08:05 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
dp1 - 20 January 2021 05:38 PM

[...]Is there a way of applying the MASTER EFFECTS to some tracks and not others. [...]

Master Effects (and Master EQ) are applied to the entire Mix, all 16 Parts - there’s no way to choose which of the Parts.

However, the send levels for System Effects (Reverb and Chorus) can be set on a per-Part basis. Delay LR is available as an effect under the Chorus category.

See page 63 of the MOXF Reference Manual for details (in Performance mode, but Song mode is the same). See the MOXF Data List for the available Effects Types and Parameters.

If you don’t already have them, PDF versions of the MOXF manuals are available here:
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/contents/music_production/downloads/manuals/index.html?l=en&c=music_production&k=moxf

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2021 @ 05:51 PM
dp1
Joined  04-20-2020

Hello again

Sorry for the delay in getting back.  I have had a look at page 63 of the MOXF reference manual, but I am still not clear. 

Would you be able to explain the basics of the effects on the MOXF6.  For example what is the difference between INSERTION EFFECTS, SYSTEM EFFECTS and MASTER EFFECTS?

In a song, how do I apply effects to one track and no effects to another track and maybe a different effect to yet another track?

If you could talk me through the basics of effects I would be very appreciative.

Thanks

Dave

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2021 @ 07:19 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

I suggest that you start with this support article…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/mox6_mox8_introducing_the_effects
...and download the PDF from the link there.

If you still have specific questions after going through that information, post again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2021 @ 08:50 PM
dp1
Joined  04-20-2020

Hello

Thanks for your reply.  I have read the document you suggested.  Things are quite a lot clearer.  I have an understanding of the difference between INSERTION, SYSTEM and MASTER effects.  However I am still stubbornly stuck on 1 issue. 

I have 1 track in a song that is a drum track.  I have a bass drum on every quarter beat.  I have also applied MASTER effects to the whole song with reverb and delay.  What I am trying to do is to get the bass drum track to ignore the master effects.  It keeps playing with reverb and delay and I just cannot seem to remove the reverb and delay from the track. 

In summary, the whole song is playing along with reverb and delay which is what I want.  But I do not want these effects to play on the drum track.  How can I get the drum track to play with no effects?

I am sorry if I appear a little dense, but it is very annoying when there is just one thing blocking your path so to speak.

Thanks

Dave

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2021 @ 10:47 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

I have another suggestion - take a look at pages 18~20 of the MOXF Reference Manual. Note that Master Effects and EQ are applied last, to everything that comes before. You can’t choose which individual Voices/Parts they get applied to - it’s all or none.

You can apply different Insert Effects on a per-Part basis on up to eight of the 16 possible Parts at a time, and System Effects send level settings can determine how much each Part is affected by Reverb and Chorus Effects.

For recording, if that’s not sufficient for your needs, then you may want to render certain Parts to audio and then change Effects on other Parts until your project is completed.

Live play may present other challenges.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 28, 2021 @ 05:57 PM
dp1
Joined  04-20-2020

Hello again

Thanks very much for your advice.  I understand now that MASTER EFFECTS are all or nothing.  I can always use INSERTION EFFECTS or SYSTEM EFFECTS. 

I appreciate your advice.

Thanks

Dave

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 29, 2021 @ 05:23 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
dp1 - 28 January 2021 05:57 PM

Hello again

Thanks very much for your advice.  I understand now that MASTER EFFECTS are all or nothing.  I can always use INSERTION EFFECTS or SYSTEM EFFECTS. 

I appreciate your advice.

Thanks

Dave

You’re welcome. Don’t be reluctant to experiment with the effects settings - it’s usually possible to obtain what’s needed.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Sustain Problem - Pedal is fine
Next Topic:

Retrigger Chord while holding ››