mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XF and power conditioner"

Posted on: November 29, 2020 @ 02:30 PM
hamishxf
Total Posts:  3
Joined  11-29-2020

Hi everyone,

I have been gifted a Furman M-10X E power conditioner and I’d really love to plug my Motif XF7 in to it, along with a few other bits of gear that make up my little set up. They are a mac, an audio interface and a display.

What I wanted to know is how to swap out the IEC power cable for presumably, a male to female one, so that I can connect my Motif to the Furman?

To my mind, the second I do that, I no longer have a fused plug on the end because I’d be using an IEC male to female (extension cable basically), and the Furman would take over the fuses responsibility, is that right?

Secondly, how closely do I have to match the IEC male to female cable to the original Motif XF power cord in terms of specification?  I’m almost sure the Motif XF IEC cord I have is 13A, so would I need to match it with a 13A rated IEC male to female cable or do the male to female cables cover all specifications as such?

I’m in Scotland so I have UK power.

Thanks in advance to anyone who would be kind enough to help me.

Hamish

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 30, 2020 @ 08:05 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

The Motif XF consumes about 30 watts of power (see the Owner’s Manual). Without going into detail, the approximate current draw can be calculated by dividing the power in watts by the line/mains voltage. I’ll let you do the math.

A Power cord that’s capable of carrying 13 amps (and fused for that amount of current) will offer basically no protection from an internal failure of the XF, except for a direct short at its power input. Fortunately, the XF has internal protection.

I hope that’s sufficient information for you to decide on an appropriate course of action.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 01, 2020 @ 03:08 AM
hamishxf
Joined  11-29-2020

Thank you.

I’m sorry, I have a tough time understanding anything to do with this subject.

Are you saying that any IEC male to female cable will do for connecting my Motif to the power conditioner safely?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 01, 2020 @ 07:14 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

All I’m saying is that under normal operating conditions a Motif XF draws about one-hundredth of 13 amps (at 220~240 VAC). Sorry, but since I’m not familiar with the Furman unit, nor of UK regulations, I can’t advise you further.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 01, 2020 @ 08:57 AM
hamishxf
Joined  11-29-2020

Yes, that’s fair enough.

Thank you for you time and your help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 24, 2020 @ 03:50 PM
crazyfor88
Total Posts:  2
Joined  03-03-2017

Your current fused power cord, I’m assuming is a British Standards type, is probably rated at 10 amps, minimum.
If you want to use your fused power cord, you would need to purchase an electrical outlet, similar to the one that your fused power cord plugs into. That outlet would then be wired to a male IEC connector. That would then simply connect to the IEC female connector on your power conditioner.
A basic handyman/electrician could do this for you, if you don’t feel comfortable doing it.

[ Ignore ]