mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOXF Remote Tools Not Working in Catalina"

Posted on: July 04, 2020 @ 08:35 PM
tuna
Total Posts:  13
Joined  12-30-2019

I just started using Logic last Monday & finally tackled using my MOXF8 as a DAW controller.

I’ve been semi-successful & can use the transport buttons. I can also use the arrow keys to navigate tracks & scenes.

I’ve read through the manuals & references for both the MOXF & Logic & cannot make heads or tails out of mapping other functions to Logic on the MOXF.

Most of the stated functions on page 117 of the Data List booklet do not do what they say they will & I have no idea what they are actually doing since I see no results in Logic.

I’ve gone through all 50 preset templates on the MOXF & still find nothing that works other than transport & arrow keys. Assignable knobs & buttons do nothing & the number & letter keys do nothing.

I selected Mackie Control in the model list on the Logic control surface setup.

Also tried installing the Remote Tools app in hopes that a better interface would provide an easier way to get things going but alas, it won’t run on OSX Catalina.

I may have to get a Komplete Kontrol just to handle the DAW mouseless.

Help please?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 05, 2020 @ 12:08 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

I’ll preface my reply with this…
I don’t use Logic, so my response will be somewhat generic.

First -
Which version of the OS is installed on your MOXF?
Which version of the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver is installed on your computer?

Unique Bio, by the way.  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 05, 2020 @ 01:07 AM
tuna
Total Posts:  13
Joined  12-30-2019

Thanks for replying.

The driver installed on my Mac is “Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V2.0.3 for Mac macOS 10.15-10.12” which is what Yamaha shows as the latest on their MOXF downloads page. I have no problems at all using a USB A to B cable & sending MIDI & audio to Logic. I also use a Steinberg UR44 audio interface for both data types with no problems.

The OS on the MOXF8 is: Boot v 1.01 / Firmware v 1.12.0

I’m running OSx 10.15.5 Catalina & Logic Pro X v 10.5.1

When I updated to Catalina on the Mac, a few programs wouldn’t run (MS Office 2011 & Text Wrangler) & I suspect the OS is simply incompatible with the older code in Yamaha Remote Tools. All the other Steinberg software runs but I don’t use any of it because the UI windows are so small as to be unusable unless I’m super close to the monitor & I can’t find any way to zoom or enlarge them.

I like the MOXF8 even though I’ll probably never use the sequencer again (Logic / Ableton = Better). I’m thinking a Komplete Kontrol S61 added to the setup is going to be the solution.

Image Attachments
Dear Old Dad.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 05, 2020 @ 08:35 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
tuna - 05 July 2020 01:07 AM

Thanks for replying.

You’re welcome.

tuna -

The driver installed on my Mac is “Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V2.0.3 for Mac macOS 10.15-10.12” which is what Yamaha shows as the latest on their MOXF downloads page. I have no problems at all using a USB A to B cable & sending MIDI & audio to Logic. I also use a Steinberg UR44 audio interface for both data types with no problems.

The OS on the MOXF8 is: Boot v 1.01 / Firmware v 1.12.0

That’s the most recent MOXF OS, and the driver is appropriate.

tuna -

I’m running OSx 10.15.5 Catalina & Logic Pro X v 10.5.1

When I updated to Catalina on the Mac, a few programs wouldn’t run (MS Office 2011 & Text Wrangler) & I suspect the OS is simply incompatible with the older code in Yamaha Remote Tools.

tuna -

All the other Steinberg software runs but I don’t use any of it because the UI windows are so small as to be unusable unless I’m super close to the monitor & I can’t find any way to zoom or enlarge them.

I like the MOXF8 even though I’ll probably never use the sequencer again (Logic / Ableton = Better). I’m thinking a Komplete Kontrol S61 added to the setup is going to be the solution.

According to Yamaha…
https://download.yamaha.com/files/tcm:39-1145524
...MOXF6/MOXF8 Remote Tools V1.0.5 should be compatible with Catalina.

However, Logic DAW compatibility probably isn’t related to that. I suspect problems with Logic setup (MOXF USB Port 2 handles remote operation), but I can’t offer any help with that. Hopefully someone familiar with running the DAW will join in.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 14, 2020 @ 11:03 AM
keego1973
Total Posts:  7
Joined  08-31-2010

I believe new driver’s need to be downloaded for Catalina. Released in March this year.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/moxf/downloads.html

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 14, 2020 @ 01:44 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
keego1973 - 14 July 2020 11:03 AM

I believe new driver’s need to be downloaded for Catalina. Released in March this year.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/moxf/downloads.html

Yes, it’s important to use the appropriate driver for Catalina. However, the driver tuna is using (V2.0.3) is the March 2020 one available from the Yamaha site you linked to.

[ Ignore ]