mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Polk home audio systems for instruments"

Posted on: November 15, 2019 @ 09:15 PM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

Hey everyone.  Saw a local ad with someone selling the following Polk home audio:

Complete 7.1 Home Theater Speaker System:
Blackstone TL3 Front Speakers (2).
Blackstone TL3 Center Channel Speaker.
Blackstone TL1 Surround Speakers (4).
Stands for Surround Speakers (4).
PSW10 Subwoofer (Cherry).

I email Polk, with no reply after several attempts, as well as gearslutz forum.

I’m just curious if this system could be used for a keyboard....and any pros or cons.
The asking price is under $200 and that captured my interest in at least researching.  Google searches were useless, even when using verbatim strings.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. 

Rich

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 15, 2019 @ 10:02 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

There are those who scoff at using “home” speakers for synth sound, although I’m not one of them. However, note that these speakers are not self-powered - a multi-channel amp would be needed to drive them.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 15, 2019 @ 11:21 PM
richie1027
Joined  10-14-2008

Thank you 5PD.  I have an amp and was intrigued by the gear and price.  I have amps and a PA system, but thought something like this for home use my be a cheap alternative if it could handle the inputs (2 xf’s)

Appreciate your thoughts my friend.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2019 @ 07:57 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

The price does seem lower than might normally be expected if the speakers are in good condition.

You can get specs for the TL series here…
https://www.polkaudio.com/collections/home-audio/blackstone_tl_series
...although I’m not sure how trustworthy they are. For example, the high frequency limits for the TL3 and TL1 are given in “Hz”, which should obviously be “kHz”. The company should be a bit more careful with things like that.

The subwoofer is apparently self-powered:
https://www.polkaudio.com/products/psw10

Decent “home” speakers will usually work adequately with synths in a home environment when placed correctly and driven to reasonable levels. The XF has sufficient EQ adjustments available to compensate for most frequency response issues, should they arise.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2019 @ 01:13 AM
richie1027
Joined  10-14-2008

I’m appreciative for the links and info.  This is one of those occurrences where a system with possible potential jumped out.  While not a necessity it may be enjoyable to try at home in different applications. 

Many thanks as always. 

By the way 5pin, I started social security a couple years ago Funny how the mind still operates like a 25 y/ol but the body brings us back to reality. 

Take care.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2019 @ 02:02 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
richie1027 - 17 November 2019 01:13 AM

I’m appreciative for the links and info.  This is one of those occurrences where a system with possible potential jumped out.  While not a necessity it may be enjoyable to try at home in different applications. 

Many thanks as always.

You’re welcome.

richie1027 -

By the way 5pin, I started social security a couple years ago Funny how the mind still operates like a 25 y/ol but the body brings us back to reality.

I hear you. I’ve been on Social Security for six years, beginning at the “full benefit” age for me, and I’ll admit to some memory issues slowly creeping in. The body is another issue, but I’m doing what I can to keep the various systems going.

richie1027 -

Take care.

You, too.

[ Ignore ]