mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Distortion and DIMM: NG error?"

Posted on: May 28, 2019 @ 10:44 AM
luisma
Total Posts:  13
Joined  05-28-2019

Hello! I bought a second-hand motif rack and although it seems that everything is going well, I noticed that especially when you press two low keys successively, especially with the sustain pedal, a distortion appears in the left speaker.

I have seen that another person in this forum had this problem, although it seems that there was no solution. I’ve tried on different headphones and speakers and it’s always the left speaker.

Now, doing the diagnostic mode (turning on by pressing the bank, voice and utility buttons), when making the diagnosis of DIMM, after a while I get a message that says: NG
Does anyone know what it means? There is something wrong? I do not know what DIMM is.

Thank you all!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 28, 2019 @ 12:21 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
luisma - 28 May 2019 10:44 AM

Hello! I bought a second-hand motif rack and although it seems that everything is going well, I noticed that especially when you press two low keys successively, especially with the sustain pedal, a distortion appears in the left speaker.

I have seen that another person in this forum had this problem, although it seems that there was no solution. I’ve tried on different headphones and speakers and it’s always the left speaker.

Now, doing the diagnostic mode (turning on by pressing the bank, voice and utility buttons), when making the diagnosis of DIMM, after a while I get a message that says: NG
Does anyone know what it means? There is something wrong? I do not know what DIMM is.

Thank you all!

Welcome to the forum.

Some of the information in your post is confusing…
1) Rack models have no keys. Are you using an external controller?
2) NG = No Good. DIMMs (Dual-Inline Memory Module) are used to store samples in keyboard models, but rack models don’t have sample memory.

Distortion might be related to a fault, or possibly just incorrect editing of Parameters. Presuming you do have a Rack Motif (Classic), see Factory Set on page 56 of the Owner’s Manual, and be sure to create a backup beforehand if other than factory data is stored.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 28, 2019 @ 01:30 PM
luisma
Joined  05-28-2019

Hello, thanks for the answer!! I thought that no one would enter the forum of the old motif rack.
I have the original motif-rack and I use it through a Roland fp-90 MIDI.
I attached a photograph of the error.
the distortion appears at any time with some frequency, it is not very noticeable but annoying.
above all it appears when 2 or more keys followed by a low tone are played.
This morning restore the rack to its factory state from the Jobs panel.
So the NG does not mean that there is something broken?
I use the newly restored factory configuration and the piano power grand sound.
I’m sorry for my English, I do not speak very well in English
Thank you!!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 28, 2019 @ 01:54 PM
luisma
Joined  05-28-2019

Sorry, i dont know why but te web dont let me upload the image.

If in edit Mode of voice power grand piano i put the low EQ to -32 the distortion seems disappear, but this is not a solution.

Thanksss!!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 29, 2019 @ 07:29 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Which test number gives the “NG” result? Is it T11?

The image could be helpful. As long as it is not too large, ZIP the file before attaching it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 29, 2019 @ 07:49 AM
luisma
Joined  05-28-2019

Hello, here is the image.

So far, I have not tried many other voices because the one that interests me most is the power grand piano, but today I’ve tried some electric piano voices and in some, the distortion appears more easily, infrequently, but it can be any moment.

But if on an electric piano you repeatedly press low-tone keys especially using the sustain pedal, the distortion is sure to appear. Always on the left speaker and it does not matter with auricalares or loudspeakers.

Can there be anything to do with some sustaint pedal configuration? Although everything is reset with the factory settings.

Thanks for everything!!!

Image Attachments
motifrackng.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 29, 2019 @ 08:46 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
luisma - 29 May 2019 07:49 AM

Hello, here is the image.

Strange. The rack units don’t have DIMMs, and the Service Manual for the Classic Rack (https://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_motif-rack_sm.rar/download.html) doesn’t indicate a 14th test.

luisma -

So far, I have not tried many other voices because the one that interests me most is the power grand piano, but today I’ve tried some electric piano voices and in some, the distortion appears more easily, infrequently, but it can be any moment.

But if on an electric piano you repeatedly press low-tone keys especially using the sustain pedal, the distortion is sure to appear. Always on the left speaker and it does not matter with auricalares or loudspeakers.

Can there be anything to do with some sustaint pedal configuration? Although everything is reset with the factory settings.

Thanks for everything!!!

Which OS (Operating System) is installed in your Classic Rack? There were some problems with sound in early versions of the OS.

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/52052_en.html

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/software/9/311939/mrack102update.zip

If not done properly, updating the OS can cause problems. You should probably contact Yamaha Support for your country to discuss details.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 29, 2019 @ 09:50 AM
luisma
Joined  05-28-2019

I dont know, but i Guess that the first owner nota updated anything.

I Will try update the os this afternoon.

I dont know how yo do It because the RACK havent USB, i Guess i hace Connect with muy computer by USB, but i dont know if i nedd a specific program.

Thank!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 29, 2019 @ 11:12 AM
luisma
Joined  05-28-2019

Ok im updating from a MIDI player in my pc.

I Will inform

Thank!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 29, 2019 @ 11:37 AM
luisma
Joined  05-28-2019

Hello, i have just updated to version 1.02 and the sound problem persists.

In the updates list the message is this:
FIRM: 1.02
DATA: 1.00
KERNEL: 1.00

Must I update anything more??

thanks!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 29, 2019 @ 12:32 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You’re welcome.

The FIRMware update is all that’s available for the Rack itself.

Unfortunately, it’s likely that what’s causing the problem is a hardware fault, possibly related to the DAC (Digital to Analog Converter). Further diagnosis will require a technician to look at the unit. I suggest contacting Yamaha Support and discussing it with them.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 29, 2019 @ 12:39 PM
luisma
Joined  05-28-2019

Ok, i Will Contact,

Thank you 5 pin dim!!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2019 @ 11:30 AM
luisma
Joined  05-28-2019

Hi, how are you? a lot of time has passed.

I took the Motif to a technical professional and now it has begun to repair it.

The technician is telling me that he believes that distortion is due to an improper adjustment of the product. Although if I factory reset the distortion sounds.

I believe that this cannot be and the device has a problem, but the technician before opening the device tells me to try to have someone test the midi test file that I created.

PLEASE, if anyone has an original Motif Rack, I beg you to try this midi file attached.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ox0w84xrd672pzg/midifallo.mid/file

It is only a test in which some musical notes are reproduced but reproduced in a way that makes the distortion appear

Can someone please have the Motif Rack test the file and tell me if you notice a distortion?

Distortion is best noticed with headphones.

Thank you!!!

[ Ignore ]