mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Tape Recorder Sampling"

Posted on: May 02, 2019 @ 10:02 PM
Heinzsight
Total Posts:  33
Joined  02-11-2018

I want to sample from my old tape recorder but it is not working. s it possible? I have set all AD inputs and outputs from the motif utility mode and integrated sampling, but it does not read and sound waves when I try to record what is playing from the tape recorder. I have tried switching wires in all the different ports with no luck. Any help would be appreciated Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 02, 2019 @ 11:31 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Yes, if everything is working correctly, the line output from a tape recorder can be connected to the A/D Input (set to “line"). Are you sure that the tape recorder is working and that the gain is turned up on both the recorder output and the Motif’s A/D Input?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2019 @ 01:03 AM
Heinzsight
Joined  02-11-2018

My tape recorder has two places to play from tape A and B. Tape A wis properly but Tape B doesnt play the tapes. Tape B is the same side on the back where the back outputd are located, so Im not sure if this is the problem.. Everything else is turned high to the max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2019 @ 01:27 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

I suggest that you determine whether the tape recorder is outputting a signal. Connect it to an input on an amplifier, etc.

You could also try a different source at the A/D Input, and verify that the Motif is working as expected.

Otherwise it’s just a guessing game as to what the problem might be.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2019 @ 04:50 PM
Heinzsight
Joined  02-11-2018

I realized I am using an RCC connector cable connecter rather than a RCA connector. Could that be the reason? Is there any difference between the connector types?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2019 @ 10:56 PM
Heinzsight
Joined  02-11-2018

I purchased a RCA to 1/4 connector and it still did not work properly. Can something be wrong with the interior A/D board?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 10, 2019 @ 08:56 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Heinzsight - 09 May 2019 10:56 PM

I purchased a RCA to 1/4 connector and it still did not work properly. Can something be wrong with the interior A/D board?

That’s possible, but other things may be at fault.

Does the “resample” function work? It uses the Motif itself as a sound source.
See page 234 of the Owner’s Manual for details.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 16, 2019 @ 08:19 AM
Heinzsight
Joined  02-11-2018

Yes the re sampling function does work properly.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 16, 2019 @ 03:24 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Heinzsight - 16 May 2019 08:19 AM

Yes the re sampling function does work properly.

OK. I would suggest that you try the A/D Input other than when Sampling. The audio can be mixed with (added to) the Motif’s internal sounds in Performance mode. See [F2] Performance Play A/D on pages 163-164 of the Owner’s Manual. If you have an appropriate mic, that could be used as a source instead of the tape recorder - be sure to set “Mic/Line” to “mic” in Utility mode in that case.

If that doesn’t work, then there might be a problem with the A/D Input.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 16, 2019 @ 04:24 PM
Heinzsight
Joined  02-11-2018

I have the appropriate mic and I tried what you suggested and it still did not work. How should I go about fixing the A/D board or where can I send it to have it fixed?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 16, 2019 @ 11:41 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Problems with the A/D Inputs are not common. However, if the GAIN control knob at the rear panel near the jacks is turned up, and the A/DSource setting in Utility mode is “analog”, then there isn’t much more that’s simple to check.

Unfortunately, the A/D circuit is on two boards, the JK one with the jacks and the DM main board. A problem could be on either board, or the connection between them. Even something as simple as the GAIN control having been accidentally struck could damage it and cause loss of signal.

Where to have the Motif looked at depends on your location. Your member profile is confusing, since for “state” it indicates “Other (Outside US)”, but for “country” it shows “USA”. The last page of the Owner’s Manual lists Yamaha contact information for much of the world.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ AEIB2 board question
Next Topic:

Saving Sample User Drum Kits ››