mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "question for motif xs or xf owners familiar with the mofx"

Posted on: April 23, 2019 @ 09:49 PM
tradivoro
Total Posts:  45
Joined  12-16-2003

I know it’s a strange question but here goes.  One of the great things I like about the moxf (and I’m sure just about everyone) is the pre-fab arpeggios perfomances in performance mode.

so my question is, does the motif xs or only the xf have a similar situation with pre-fab performances with arpeggios?  I’m looking at the manuals for those instruments and they seem to be more sound with sound, not arpeggios.  Correct me if I’m wrong.

So, that’s my question do these previous motif’s have the pre-fab performance arpeggio feature?

Reason I ask is because I presently have the moxf8.  I love it.  What I don’t love is the stiff keyboard that’s doing a number on my hands.  I’m not a life long pianist, I’m a guitarist that plays keyboards.  So, I’m thinking of getting a motif xs or xf with 76 keys.  For me, this is the ultimate plastic keyboard, the keyboard that Yamaha puts in their premium keyboards. 

I’ve had DX7s, DX5s.  My last great Yamaha keyboard before the the MOXF was a EX5.  That was a great keyboard feel for me.  But I wanted to upgrade to a 88 note keyboard.  I just didn’t know that this was going to be so stiff for me.  If they sold the moxf 76 keys with the keyboard they use on the motif’s and the ex5, I’d buy it in a heartbeat. 

Sadly, Yamaha only puts this keyboard on their top tier keyboards.

If you try the modx 76 keys, you’ll see they don’t use the keyboard they use on the Montage 76. 

Anyway, so that’s why I’m asking because I’m thinking of selling the moxf and getting one of the motif’s.  I understand that the Montage doesn’t have the pre-fab arpeggios.  And I can’t afford it… :) So I figured I’d get a used motif xs or xf. 

Thanks for reading and for your replies. :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2019 @ 11:44 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
tradivoro - 23 April 2019 09:49 PM

I know it’s a strange question but here goes.  One of the great things I like about the moxf (and I’m sure just about everyone) is the pre-fab arpeggios perfomances in performance mode.

The first thing we need to do is determine what you mean by “pre-fab arpeggios perfomances”. For the purpose of my comments, I’m going to presume that you’re referring to Performances that use factory Preset Arps. If that’s not what you have in mind, please explain.

tradivoro -

so my question is, does the motif xs or only the xf have a similar situation with pre-fab performances with arpeggios?  I’m looking at the manuals for those instruments and they seem to be more sound with sound, not arpeggios.  Correct me if I’m wrong.

I’m not sure which manuals you’ve looked at, and what particular information in them. I’d suggest that the Data Lists would offer the most help in making comparisons.

tradivoro -

So, that’s my question do these previous motif’s have the pre-fab performance arpeggio feature?

The XS has 6,633 Preset Arps, the XF has 7,881, and the MOXF has 7,981. In each case the Arps in a later model include all of those found in the previous model, plus additional ones.

The XS has three Banks of 128 Performances each. The XF has four Banks, the last three Banks having the same Performances as the XS when the factory Performances are loaded in each. The MOXF has two Banks - when factory set, some of the Performances are from the XS and XF, and some are unique to the MOXF.

Nearly every one of the XS and XF factory Performances have Arps applied.

Since the Performance locations are User type, they can all be overwritten with other Performances. If you want to find what factory Performances are like in an XF, download an XF “All"/.X3A file and load Performance Banks from it into your MOXF.

tradivoro -

Reason I ask is because I presently have the moxf8.  I love it.  What I don’t love is the stiff keyboard that’s doing a number on my hands.  I’m not a life long pianist, I’m a guitarist that plays keyboards.  So, I’m thinking of getting a motif xs or xf with 76 keys.  For me, this is the ultimate plastic keyboard, the keyboard that Yamaha puts in their premium keyboards. 

I’ve had DX7s, DX5s.  My last great Yamaha keyboard before the the MOXF was a EX5.  That was a great keyboard feel for me.  But I wanted to upgrade to a 88 note keyboard.  I just didn’t know that this was going to be so stiff for me.  If they sold the moxf 76 keys with the keyboard they use on the motif’s and the ex5, I’d buy it in a heartbeat. 

Sadly, Yamaha only puts this keyboard on their top tier keyboards.

If you try the modx 76 keys, you’ll see they don’t use the keyboard they use on the Montage 76.

Anyway, so that’s why I’m asking because I’m thinking of selling the moxf and getting one of the motif’s.

I agree that the FSX keybed used in the 61 and 76 key XS and XF models has a nice feel.

tradivoro -

I understand that the Montage doesn’t have the pre-fab arpeggios.  And I can’t afford it… :) So I figured I’d get a used motif xs or xf.

The Montage has 10,000 factory Preset Arps, and it can load files from previous models. However, I do get your point about the price.  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2019 @ 11:13 PM
tradivoro
Joined  12-16-2003

Don’t know why my earlier reply didn’t take.  I’ll try again tomorrow.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2019 @ 09:05 AM
tradivoro
Joined  12-16-2003

Thanks 5 pin.  I just meant the performances that came with the machine from the factory, not the list of arpeggios.  I did look at the data list, it just wasn’t clear if they had or not, but from your comments, I see that they do come with performances that have arpeggios. 

After posting this, I took the list of performances from the xs and the list of performances from the moxf and converted them to plain text without the numbers (not easy) and I found that there were indeed some performances from the xs in the moxf. 

I’m focusing more on the xs because I like the look of it, it’s cheaper used and it has the ribbon controller, a la EX5. 

“Nearly every one of the XS and XF factory Performances have Arps applied.

Since the Performance locations are User type, they can all be overwritten with other Performances. If you want to find what factory Performances are like in an XF, download an XF “All"/.X3A file and load Performance Banks from it into your MOXF.”

That’s good to know, I just couldn’t tell from looking at the data manuals.  And unfortunately, there are no stores to try this out.  I tried looking for a rental place, but the only one I found wanted $160 a day to rent the synth. 

“I understand that the Montage doesn’t have the pre-fab arpeggios.  And I can’t afford it… :) So I figured I’d get a used motif xs or xf.

The Montage has 10,000 factory Preset Arps, and it can load files from previous models. However, I do get your point about the price.  :-) “

I meant to say performances, in the style of the moxf.  I read that these weren’t carried over from the xf, don’t know how true that was.

Thanks for this info.  Whichever motif machine I finally wind up with, at least I know it’s going to be a similar experience as the moxf.  Thanks very much 5pin, you are always a wealth of information.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2019 @ 10:46 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
tradivoro - 25 April 2019 09:05 AM

“Nearly every one of the XS and XF factory Performances have Arps applied.

Since the Performance locations are User type, they can all be overwritten with other Performances. If you want to find what factory Performances are like in an XF, download an XF “All"/.X3A file and load Performance Banks from it into your MOXF.”

That’s good to know, I just couldn’t tell from looking at the data manuals.  And unfortunately, there are no stores to try this out.  I tried looking for a rental place, but the only one I found wanted $160 a day to rent the synth.

There’s no need to rent anything. As I mentioned, the MOXF can load XF Performance Banks from an XF “All” file.

I’ve attached XF All minus Seqs.n3.X3A.zip, which is a ZIP of an XF factory “All” file without Songs and Patterns. Performance Banks 2,3,4 are the same as 1,2,3 in the XS. Once uncompressed, one Bank at a time can be loaded to the MOXF as Type “1BankPerform” - see page 156 of the MOXF Reference Manual. (Due to differences in certain Voice locations between the MOXF and XF, Performances from the XF Bank 1 may not “translate” well to the MOXF.)

tradivoro -

Thanks for this info.  Whichever motif machine I finally wind up with, at least I know it’s going to be a similar experience as the moxf.  Thanks very much 5pin, you are always a wealth of information.

You’re welcome. Good luck with your Motif choice.

File Attachments
XF All minus Seqs.n3.X3A.zip  (File Size: 462KB - Downloads: 245)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 07, 2019 @ 12:57 PM
tradivoro
Joined  12-16-2003

There’s no need to rent anything. As I mentioned, the MOXF can load XF Performance Banks from an XF “All” file.

When I made that statement, I just meant it to try out the machine in general, as well as the performances. 

I’ve attached XF All minus Seqs.n3.X3A.zip, which is a ZIP of an XF factory “All” file without Songs and Patterns. Performance Banks 2,3,4 are the same as 1,2,3 in the XS. Once uncompressed, one Bank at a time can be loaded to the MOXF as Type “1BankPerform” - see page 156 of the MOXF Reference Manual. (Due to differences in certain Voice locations between the MOXF and XF, Performances from the XF Bank 1 may not “translate” well to the MOXF.)

5pin, this is going above and beyond any reply. :) Thank you very much, I truly appreciate it.  I will check this out in the moxf.

[ Ignore ]