mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "In Search of a Voice"

Posted on: March 20, 2019 @ 12:53 PM
JacobZ06
Total Posts:  24
Joined  02-13-2019

While I have an XF8, I love the voices on the Motif ES series.  I am hoping the ES aficionados can identify the voice used by Michael McDonald on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJgngZz-FGU

To me it sounds more like an EP voice with a subtle pad in the background rather than a pure acoustic piano but that is simply a guess.

Any suggestions from the ES members ?  I have yet to discover an equivalent sound on the XF8.

Jacob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2019 @ 11:49 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

Piano Back: PRE 1 013 (A13) in the XF.

The String Levels are controlled with a separate Foot Pedal, (Elements 6,7,8). Didn’t hear an EP.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2019 @ 09:35 AM
JacobZ06
Joined  02-13-2019

Many thanks.  Finally figured out that a Roland Half damper pedal only works as a switch on a Yamaha board.  Nonetheless, it’s nice to have some pedal control over the strings.  This is a very nice voice for general use as a piano backing.

Jacob.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2019 @ 09:27 PM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011

You’re welcome and I agree that it is a nice voice in the right situation.

My apologies, I should have typed Foot Controller instead of Foot Pedal. An FC7 would be ideal. Note that the Assign 1 knob controls the Piano Element levels and the Assign 2 knob controls the String Element levels.  While better than a stick in the eye this isn’t really ideal for two handed playing on a solo ballad. If you’d like to control the expression of the strings with your foot let us know and we’ll help you out.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 26, 2019 @ 07:18 PM
JacobZ06
Joined  02-13-2019
stoneb3 - 23 March 2019 09:27 PM

You’re welcome and I agree that it is a nice voice in the right situation.

My apologies, I should have typed Foot Controller instead of Foot Pedal. An FC7 would be ideal. Note that the Assign 1 knob controls the Piano Element levels and the Assign 2 knob controls the String Element levels.  While better than a stick in the eye this isn’t really ideal for two handed playing on a solo ballad. If you’d like to control the expression of the strings with your foot let us know and we’ll help you out.

Stone

I now have the FC7 pedal and have set it up to control the string elements using Foot Controller 2.  Have also discovered if you have a Pre voice like Big Strings, you can apply the same level control approach to that voice.  Then, any performance using that voice as a layer will automatically include the same level control for that voice in the performance. Unfortunately, you need to save the modified voice in a User area, which means any performances using that Pre type voice need to have the voice address changed to the User location you used to save it.

Nonetheless, a great improvement.

Thanks again Stone3.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2019 @ 11:11 PM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011
JacobZ06 - 26 March 2019 07:18 PM

I now have the FC7 pedal and have set it up to control the string elements using Foot Controller 2.  Have also discovered if you have a Pre voice like Big Strings, you can apply the same level control approach to that voice.  Then, any performance using that voice as a layer will automatically include the same level control for that voice in the performance. Unfortunately, you need to save the modified voice in a User area, which means any performances using that Pre type voice need to have the voice address changed to the User location you used to save it.

Nonetheless, a great improvement.

Thanks again Stone3.

You’re welcome Jacob.

In the case of your Big Strings example in Performance Mode: If you’re working with one FC7 pedal you can leave that connected to Foot Controller One and edit the Performance Part that you don’t wish to respond to Expression via Rcv Switch in the Part Edit Screen. Uncheck the Expression Box. This way you can leave the Preset Big Strings in it’s own location thus not using an additional User Voice.

Also returning to the Piano Back Voice: You could break out the String Elements by turning off the Piano Elements leaving the Control Set as is and storing this to a User Location. Then as described above you could use one pedal to control your layers as you wish.

I mention this not knowing how many pedals you use and as a possible alternative to your needs.

Stone

[ Ignore ]