mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "do I need a specific usb driver for the motif 6?"

Posted on: November 17, 2018 @ 01:16 PM
Artcutech
Total Posts:  15
Joined  11-09-2018

I can’t seem to find one online, I have the one that comes with the original disc but i would assume that the latest version would be best, Yamaha has the latest usb driver download thats compatiable with all yamaha devices, is this the one i should download and install? or is there a specific latest one for the original motif?

Also for the most part i dont know if ill be looking to use the remote control assign feature, i have ableton and what would be setting for daw closest or best to work with? or is it not possible with Ableton? and if i did use the remote control assign and it worked with Ableton would i be able to still sequence and work with samples and tracks on the motif? like this, what i’ll be doing is connecting the usb, setting midi clock to external, sequencing whatever basic foundation with my samples and tracks and then recording them one by one into my Apollo via the 1/4 inch jack, but then would also just like to use the motif as a midi controller, If i set to remote control assign is this possible, and if so how do you get the actual audio in? one by one with 1/4 inch jacks?

the motif is just a jump off point as i really love the sound quality and saturation, i will be using countless other vst’s/au and editing and arranging in Ableton and it would be nice to intergrate but also keep the audio routing, and if I remember correctly i could only do this by going one by one muting all other tracks, keeping the timing was the most important with the midid clock

all in all just mostly wondering about the proper usb drive to use?

I was looking in downloads and saw the USB updater for the OS and OS for the motif update, but i dont think that has anything to do with the USB driver for the computer and i do have a smart media card but not a smart media writer, plus im not sure how important it is to actuially update the operating system on the motif? all the at your own risk kind of turns me off as it seems highly likely that something might not gel

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2018 @ 03:38 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Download and install the USB driver that’s compatible with your computer’s OS.

This search should turn up Motifator links about using Ableton with the Classic Motif:
http://www.google.com/search?q=classic+motif+ableton+site:www.motifator.com

I suggest that you look at the “readme” file that comes with the v1.90 OS update, find which OS your Motif has, and determine if the changes listed would be beneficial for your needs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2018 @ 06:35 PM
Artcutech
Joined  11-09-2018

getting ready to download the latest yamaha steinberg usb driver, I’m sure its the latest one and even though I dont use cubase I’m sure Yamaha just calls their stuff Yamaha Steinberg now correct?

so the keyboard just got delivered and it had some very unfamiliar configuration so I did a factory reset of the settings, but it still seems to trigger the plg1- dx expansion on track one no matter what, when I go into plg 1-3 I can category search and pull up voices off the dx expansion card but I can’t get them to necessarily translate to a track or not trigger on track one, no matter what I have loaded on track one it seems both the dx expansion and whatever else trigger automatically. Is there a way to be able to load the Dx expansion on plg-1 like any other category? and not have it default and trigger automatically on track one?

I just installed both Simm 32 mb ram expansion and their showing up which is great, now I’ll try to download the usb driver and see how it works with Ableton, really just tryna get the clock to synce and also control other midi in there, im prob gonna have a few more questions and thanks for the amazing and fast response 5pindin

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2018 @ 07:49 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Artcutech - 17 November 2018 06:35 PM

getting ready to download the latest yamaha steinberg usb driver, I’m sure its the latest one and even though I dont use cubase I’m sure Yamaha just calls their stuff Yamaha Steinberg now correct?

No - the “Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver” is for models that do MIDI and audio over USB, such as the MOX, MOXF, and MX. You want the Yamaha “USB-MIDI Driver” appropriate for your computer’s OS.

See https://usa.yamaha.com/products/contents/music_production/downloads/firmware_software/index.html?c=music_production&k=motif

Artcutech -

so the keyboard just got delivered and it had some very unfamiliar configuration so I did a factory reset of the settings, but it still seems to trigger the plg1- dx expansion on track one no matter what, when I go into plg 1-3 I can category search and pull up voices off the dx expansion card but I can’t get them to necessarily translate to a track or not trigger on track one, no matter what I have loaded on track one it seems both the dx expansion and whatever else trigger automatically. Is there a way to be able to load the Dx expansion on plg-1 like any other category? and not have it default and trigger automatically on track one?

Sorry, but my familiarity with the plug-in boards is minimal - neither my Motif XS nor XF use them. Perhaps these support articles will be helpful:
http://www.motifator.com/storage/support/PLG150DX_Motif.pdf
http://www.motifator.com/storage/support/MotifPLG.pdf

Artcutech -

I just installed both Simm 32 mb ram expansion and their showing up which is great, now I’ll try to download the usb driver and see how it works with Ableton, really just tryna get the clock to synce and also control other midi in there,

I’m glad the sample memory expansion is working. Do see about getting the correct USB-MIDI driver as I mentioned above.

Artcutech -

im prob gonna have a few more questions and thanks for the amazing and fast response 5pindin

You’re welcome. I’ll try to answer any question on topics I’m familiar with.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2018 @ 09:26 PM
Artcutech
Joined  11-09-2018

couldn’t find the usb driver anywhere for the originalmotif, should I use one of the other ones? I’m going to go pick up my usb CD-ROM drive and see if I can run one of these motif tools discs, one of them should have the driver on there I hope it’s compatiable with Mac OS

also I just bought a 128 mb smart media card for the motif and went to format it and it went from 124 mb free space to 30 mb, and after couldn’t even save anything to it said card full, but the cards my motif came with were all formatted already and ok to save to, just wondering if I did something wrong when formatting? I followed what the manual said word for word

also I’ve got the midi set to usb and am hoping to get the thing synced so I can dump audio, this should be fairly easy once the driver is installed?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2018 @ 10:45 PM
Artcutech
Joined  11-09-2018

it wouldn’t let me install the usb driver off the disc, it said the classic environment is no longer supported

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2018 @ 11:08 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You didn’t say which Mac OS you need the driver for. Here are some that should cover most possibilities:
http://download.yamaha.com/usb_midi/
https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/usb_midi_driver_for_mac.html

As I said in…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/480766/
“The Motif uses 3.3volt SmartMedia. 128MB cards that meet SSFDC standards will work.” Note that the “readme” for the Motif OS updater specifies 8MB-128MB SmartMedia. There are sellers of 128MB cards who guarantee compatibility with the Classic Motif. Try eBay.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2018 @ 11:19 PM
Artcutech
Joined  11-09-2018

cool, just got the usb/midi driver to work, I’m getting midi coming through, now I’m going to try and set up up the clock to get it to sync

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2018 @ 11:30 PM
Artcutech
Joined  11-09-2018

I just bought one off amazon which Said it was compatible with classic motif, but seems its doing what I mentioned above

so I am gettin a midi signal now in Ableton and the motif shows up under controller in midi preferences, but I cannot for the life of me hit record in Ableton and get the motif to trigger, clock out is on, not sure if midi sync should be set to midi or mtc or internal? prob not internal if I remember correctly from a long time ago

here’s a screen shot of my Ableton midi preferences, not sure exactly which ones need to be turned on as I just want to sync the record, I’ve tried various ways but here’s the default, when I hit sync on one of the inputs I get an ext in Ableton but still can’t get the motif to start playing when I press record in Ableton

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2018 @ 11:33 PM
Artcutech
Joined  11-09-2018

dont know why the screenshots didn’t load, here let me try again,

Image Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 6.27.11 PM.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2018 @ 11:37 PM
Artcutech
Joined  11-09-2018

when I press sync an ext shows up in Ableton but doesn’t really help or allow me to trigger motif upon recording

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 18, 2018 @ 12:04 AM
Artcutech
Joined  11-09-2018

Got it!!!! woohoo, just needed to press sync on the Yamaha output preferences ins Ableton and then record in Ableton and it works, I know this is not the best way of doing it but I’m goin g to be using my regular midi controller for everything else and this way I’ll be able to make some Skelton song with the juice/depth/saturation of the sampler and other voices and dump one by one and do everything else after

now I just want to get this 128mb smart media card working, I paid $70 bucks for it, I know crazy but I couldn’t find them anywhere especially brand new and I know how used ones break easily, funny things is that it started one;y acting funny after I formatted it, it seemed to show 124mb free and then went down to 30 mb after I formatted it

edit: seems to be working now back art 124 mb, all is good

now i’m just going to read that article the the plg 1- expansion and hopefully be able to understand how to set the routing properly

also it looks like the audio get recorded 1/128 off no matter if I set the buffer in Ableton to 32 or 512, is it possible to get it right on the one exactly? or would its be a good Idea just to drag everything over slightly when recorded?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2019 @ 10:34 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

Working from memory here,
The Motif classic only addresses 64Mb of SM card memory. Do you have much sample RAM installed? I have 64 Mb on mine and be advised it takes a long time to load that amount of data. Why it has formatted it to only leave 30Mb addressable is a mystery. There was a lot of chatter about these kinds of issues when the Motif first came out - Smart Media did not always play nice and there are various software tools that were discussed in the early 2000’s - you’ll need to search in the archives most likely, on the old motofator threads.

You mentioned having your PLG cards sound - you need to find the settings to turn off their midi response. I don’t have the Motif in front of me right now, but shout if that’s still an issue and I’ll start mine up and work out the button pushes for you :)
Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2019 @ 03:32 PM
Artcutech
Joined  11-09-2018
Wellie - 11 February 2019 10:34 AM

Working from memory here,
The Motif classic only addresses 64Mb of SM card memory. Do you have much sample RAM installed? I have 64 Mb on mine and be advised it takes a long time to load that amount of data. Why it has formatted it to only leave 30Mb addressable is a mystery. There was a lot of chatter about these kinds of issues when the Motif first came out - Smart Media did not always play nice and there are various software tools that were discussed in the early 2000’s - you’ll need to search in the archives most likely, on the old motofator threads.

You mentioned having your PLG cards sound - you need to find the settings to turn off their midi response. I don’t have the Motif in front of me right now, but shout if that’s still an issue and I’ll start mine up and work out the button pushes for you :)
Cheers

Thanks Wellie, everything been working good, I appreciate your response!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Ram expansion question? Smart media card question?
Next Topic:

Where’s My Sample?? ››