mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Yamaha Winter NAMM 2018"

Posted on: January 24, 2018 @ 11:23 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Press release:
https://www.yamaha.com/en/news_release/2018/18012201/

Excerpt from that:
“In the Keyboard product area, a wide spectrum of Yamaha products will be displayed ranging from premium pianos to new digital pianos and flagship digital workstation”

I don’t want to raise any false expectations, but Yamaha has tended to refer to the Montage as a “synthesizer”, not a “workstation” (although others have used that term).

In a little over 24 hours we should know if Yamaha has listened to some of us, or ignored us once again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2018 @ 05:55 PM
lastfermata
Total Posts:  54
Joined  01-20-2012

I have a horrible feeling they might only be talking about Genos. They refer to Genos as “The new world of Digital Workstations.” I sure hope I’m wrong…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2018 @ 07:05 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
lastfermata - 24 January 2018 05:55 PM

I have a horrible feeling they might only be talking about Genos. They refer to Genos as “The new world of Digital Workstations.” I sure hope I’m wrong…

Although I personally wouldn’t refer to an arranger as a workstation, you may indeed be right.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2018 @ 07:14 PM
lastfermata
Total Posts:  54
Joined  01-20-2012

Yeah, I wouldn’t refer to the Genos as a workstation either. Read down to the bottom section (Yamaha) of this Billboard article:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8095005/namm-2018-top-music-gear-companies-to-watch-list

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2018 @ 07:42 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Apparently if you no longer have a real flagship workstation in your lineup, you can still make believe that you do.

Perhaps “workstation” has a new connotation, with the emphasis on “work” - a reminder of how many hours you’d need to spend at your job in order to afford a Genos.  ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 25, 2018 @ 11:54 AM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013
5pinDIN - 24 January 2018 07:42 PM

Apparently if you no longer have a real flagship workstation in your lineup, you can still make believe that you do.

Perhaps “workstation” has a new connotation, with the emphasis on “work” - a reminder of how many hours you’d need to spend at your job in order to afford a Genos.  ;-)

LOL, yea, $6000

But..... the sweetwater ad for the genos:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Genos?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI96i0q6bz2AIVVzVpCh29zguHEAAYASAAEgLuavD_BwE

does refer to it as Yamaha’s Flagship workstation.  My MotifXF8 and MOX 8 has the description “music production synthesizer” printed on them.  My MM8 has the description “music synthesizer” and the Genos has the description “digital workstation” printed on it. Since the Genos is not a synthesizer, what else would you call the Genos?  Digital Keyboard fits.  And if you add the software editing and arranging capabilities, I guess “workstation” fits, add to that the $6000 price, that would make it the most expensive digital keyboard workstation that Yamaha sells, so description Flagship fits LOL (at least as far as price point goes)

Since we are only hours away from finding out what Yamaha’s press release is actually referring to.  I won’t be too speculative, but if Yamaha were to announce a true continuation or revitalization of the Motif series that would mark an incredible reversal of direction and admission of a bad decision “a.k.a the montage”.  That would be an amazing development indeed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2018 @ 06:58 PM
kday
Total Posts:  401
Joined  02-17-2004

Yamaha will release a workstation successor to the Motif series in about 2-3 years.

It’s priority, after the Motif series and the other downgraded MO models then came the synthesizer (Montage), then came the Genos, (arranger) next up will be a flagship workstation again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 29, 2018 @ 12:55 AM
lastmonk
Joined  12-17-2013
kday - 27 January 2018 06:58 PM

Yamaha will release a workstation successor to the Motif series in about 2-3 years.

It’s priority, after the Motif series and the other downgraded MO models then came the synthesizer (Montage), then came the Genos, (arranger) next up will be a flagship workstation again.

The MOXF is pretty close.  It hasn’t been discontinued has it?  Its a full blown music synthesizer production instrument.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2018 @ 05:23 AM
kday
Joined  02-17-2004
lastmonk - 29 January 2018 12:55 AM

The MOXF is pretty close.  It hasn’t been discontinued has it?  Its a full blown music synthesizer production instrument.

The MOXF is not a flagship workstation. Yamaha will release a full blown flagship workstation within the next few years when the times comes around.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2018 @ 09:05 PM
lastmonk
Joined  12-17-2013
kday - 01 February 2018 05:23 AM

The MOXF is not a flagship workstation. Yamaha will release a full blown flagship workstation within the next few years when the times comes around.

I agree.

But do keep in mind that the marketing folks are referring to the Genos as a Yamaha Flagship workstation.

I assume you are referring to Yamaha releasing a new Music Production Synthesizer Flagship :-)

Which I agree with you we’ll probably see in the next few years.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 07, 2018 @ 01:45 AM
kday
Joined  02-17-2004
lastmonk - 01 February 2018 09:05 PM
kday - 01 February 2018 05:23 AM

I agree.

But do keep in mind that the marketing folks are referring to the Genos as a Yamaha Flagship workstation.

I assume you are referring to Yamaha releasing a new Music Production Synthesizer Flagship :-)

Which I agree with you we’ll probably see in the next few years.

Yeah you’re right. And in some retailer ads the Genos is also listed as a Keyboard Arranger Workstation too, I see “Arranger” Workstation listed in some places I see the Genos, but not all places. It seems like they try to confuse the consumer also by making it seem like it’s the Flagship Production Workstation successor to the Motif line. They are also promoting the Montage as the Flagship Production successor to the Motif line also, even with half the features of the Motif or traditional keyboard workstation.

A flagship Keyboard workstation should have
1. ROMpler sounds
2. Sequencer
3. Digital Sampler

Anything less than that is just a synthesizer or keyboard to me.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Next keyboard
Next Topic:

Yudo Neuman from NAMM 2018 DX7??? ››