mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Noob: store/load song in Motif XS"

Posted on: January 22, 2018 @ 03:22 PM
Gertje
Total Posts:  11
Joined  10-08-2006

Probably a noob question, but can’t find a clear answer in the manual, nor in the forum. Not so used yet to Yamaha/Motif interface…

I recorded some stuff (no audio, juist MIDI) into the sequencer of my newly acquired XS, within song 2.
I stored by using the store button/menu. According to the manual, this should have gotten my song in Internal ROM Memory (at least: I thought so). So I expected this to be non-volatile.
Upon restarting my XS, I cannot find a load procedure from internal memory, and can’t find the song/mixing setup itself within the sequencer/song mode.

What did I do wrong? Should I have backed up (save) on USB drive in addition to ‘store’?
And did I thus lose my sequenced song?

Thanks in advance!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2018 @ 06:53 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Gertje - 22 January 2018 03:22 PM

[...] I recorded some stuff (no audio, juist MIDI) into the sequencer of my newly acquired XS, within song 2.
I stored by using the store button/menu. According to the manual, this should have gotten my song in Internal ROM Memory (at least: I thought so). So I expected this to be non-volatile.
Upon restarting my XS, I cannot find a load procedure from internal memory, and can’t find the song/mixing setup itself within the sequencer/song mode.

Your song should have been at Song 2, with some exceptions.

Gertje -

What did I do wrong?

Two possibilities:
1) If you have Power On Auto Factory Set turned on (check mark), your Songs will be replaced with the factory demos each time the XS is powered on. (See page 269 of the XS Owner’s Manual.) This would be obvious because Song 2 would be “Memory of the King”.

2) If Auto Load is turned on, whatever file on an attached USB drive is specified will be loaded. (See page 262 of the Owner’s Manual.) Whatever Songs might be in such a file will be loaded when the XS is powered on.

If neither is the case, then I’d suggest recording something short and unimportant to a Song location, STORE it, try again to turn the XS off and back on, and determine whether the Song data was retained. Let us know.

Gertje -

Should I have backed up (save) on USB drive in addition to ‘store’?
And did I thus lose my sequenced song?

Pressing [STORE], [ENTER], [YES] should have been sufficient. Of course, if you had then SAVED to a USB drive, that would have been more secure.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2018 @ 02:24 AM
Gertje
Joined  10-08-2006

Thanks for replying.

Option 2) is the case: I autoload a file in order to use the S700 piano, which is loaded (including the keybanks/waveforms) by by means of a song/mixing setup.
However: I checked that possibility already, by turning off autoload in the UTILITY menu (including storing the utility setup). Repowering didn’t regain my sequenced and stored song @ ‘song 2’ in sequencer mode.

Excuse me for forgetting to mention this.

Any ideas where my song is, and how to get to it?

Thanks again!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2018 @ 10:22 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Gertje - 23 January 2018 02:24 AM

Thanks for replying.

You’re welcome.

Gertje -

Option 2) is the case: I autoload a file in order to use the S700 piano, which is loaded (including the keybanks/waveforms) by by means of a song/mixing setup.
However: I checked that possibility already, by turning off autoload in the UTILITY menu (including storing the utility setup). Repowering didn’t regain my sequenced and stored song @ ‘song 2’ in sequencer mode.

Excuse me for forgetting to mention this.

Any ideas where my song is, and how to get to it?

Whenever a file is loaded, its contents overwrite the User data stored in the memory of the XS. (An “All"/X0A file will overwrite all User data.) Auto Loading the file caused whatever was stored in Song 2 in the XS to be overwritten with whatever was in the Song 2 location in the file. Unfortunately, that means your sequence is permanently gone.

To avoid this in the future, after STORING the Song, you could…
1) SAVE an “All” file that includes the S700 data, and Auto Load that. Safe, but time-consuming.
--- or ---
2) Rather than an “All” file, SAVE an “All voice"/X0V file for Auto Loading. That type of file would reload the S700 data without overwriting other memory areas, such as Songs. Of course, that wouldn’t back up your Songs.
--- so ---
3) Do #2, but also SAVE an “All Song"/X0S file, to protect against future accidents.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2018 @ 06:29 PM
Gertje
Joined  10-08-2006

Seems clear to me. Thnx for the support!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ External sequencer
Next Topic:

Can’t change attack time for Piano ››