mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Loading XS All files to other XS or XF"

Posted on: November 08, 2017 @ 03:08 PM
sethmanma
Total Posts:  5
Joined  06-07-2012

I have an XS and will have to do a backline rental.  I want to know what potential problems I might run into if loading my XS All file into another XS or XF.  I have read there may be some memory issues if the file size is too large.  Are there any other potential problems (assuming the USB slot works)?

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2017 @ 09:54 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Yes, one concern is whether the rental unit has SDRAM/DIMMs (XS) or flash module(s) (XF) of sufficient memory capacity installed, since those things are optional.

Another possible concern is whether the rental unit’s firmware (OS) has been updated to the level of your own XS. Hopefully your XS has already been updated to the most recent, version 1.60. Ask the backline company which OS is installed on the XS they’ll provide. (XF OS version numbers don’t correlate with those of the XS - the most recent OS for the XF is version 1.50.)

With the XF, 128MB of SDRAM User memory is standard, and it has slots for two flash modules, with possible capacity each of 512MB, 1024MB/1GB, or 2048MB/2GB. If an XF has one or more flash modules, and your “All” (.X0A) file is larger than 128MB, make sure at least one of the modules is as large as your file. Furthermore, be aware that loading flash modules takes a lot longer than with SDRAM. If you’re going to be loading samples to flash, make sure the module has been freshly formatted by the backline company - you don’t want to have to start deleting/formatting the module just to load your own material.

If you’ve never loaded a file to an XF, you might want to learn how to do it beforehand. Or just ask for an updated XS with sufficient memory - since there are some minor operational differences between the XS and XF, you might not want to risk running into one of them while performing.

Good luck on your gig.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2017 @ 06:01 PM
sethmanma
Total Posts:  5
Joined  06-07-2012

Thanks for the info 5pinDIN.  So I verified I’ll be able to get a Motif XS which is great.  I have an old OS, 1.07.  The rental will be 1.51.  My XOA file size is only 3.5MB.  So this sounds like it should work out.  Do you agree?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2017 @ 06:47 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
sethmanma - 06 December 2017 06:01 PM

Thanks for the info 5pinDIN.

You’re welcome.

sethmanma -

So I verified I’ll be able to get a Motif XS which is great.  I have an old OS, 1.07.  The rental will be 1.51.

As long as the rental has the same or a later OS than yours, there shouldn’t be a problem.

When you get back from your gig, you might want to update the OS in your own XS. You’re missing out on several added features.

sethmanma -

My XOA file size is only 3.5MB.  So this sounds like it should work out.  Do you agree?

With a file that size, it could be just User Voices, Performances, sequences, etc. In which case you’re probably set. However, if there’s some small sample data in the file, make sure the rental unit has DIMMs - even the lowest capacity ones available should be enough.

[ Ignore ]