mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif xf7 making noise when I play the keys and the screen is dim"

Posted on: July 25, 2017 @ 12:02 PM
wesk1212
Total Posts:  7
Joined  07-25-2017

Hi.
My motif is making a very unpleasant noise when I play the key.
It makes noise everytime I play and the screen is a bit dim. I havent used motif in awhile but I dont think that would be the problem.

Could it be the power plug?  I couldn’t find my motif power plug, I used the HP printers power plug.

Could anybody provide some insights to this problem please ?

Many thanks in advance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 25, 2017 @ 02:03 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
wesk1212 - 25 July 2017 12:02 PM

Hi.

Welcome to the forum.

wesk1212 -

My motif is making a very unpleasant noise when I play the key.
It makes noise everytime I play

A more detailed description of the noise might help to diagnose the problem. If you can attach a short audio recording (not YouTube video) of the noise to a post, that would be even better.

If you disconnect all cables going to the XF except the power cord, do you hear the noise on headphones connected to the PHONES jack?

wesk1212 -

and the screen is a bit dim. I havent used motif in awhile but I dont think that would be the problem.

Without more information, it’s hard to say whether the noise, dim screen, and lack of usage are related. In some cases, not using the Motif for a long enough period, especially if you’re located near a coastal area with high humidity and “salt air” can lead to corrosion. That can cause various symptoms.

However, the issue with the display could be something as simple as a misadjustment. On the rear panel is the LCD CONTRAST control. Try turning that and see if the display can be improved.

wesk1212 -

Could it be the power plug?  I couldn’t find my motif power plug, I used the HP printers power plug.

The XF uses a conventional IEC 3-wire (grounded) power cord. If that’s what you’re using, it’s probably not related to the problem(s).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2017 @ 12:36 PM
wesk1212
Joined  07-25-2017

Hello,
Appreciate you taking time and answering my questions.
Attached url is the video to my motif and the sounds when i play.
https://streamable.com/70z6n
It makes a weird sound but I do hear the correct sound within.
I do live in west coast I remember you mentioned about dry and salt air, if that is the case, should I remove the cover of motif and try to clean the parts?

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2017 @ 12:50 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
wesk1212 - 26 July 2017 12:36 PM

Hello,
Appreciate you taking time and answering my questions.
Attached url is the video to my motif and the sounds when i play.
https://streamable.com/70z6n
It makes a weird sound but I do hear the correct sound within.

Sorry, but I can’t access video, which is why I asked for a short audio recording to be attached here.

wesk1212 -

I do live in west coast I remember you mentioned about dry and salt air, if that is the case, should I remove the cover of motif and try to clean the parts?

I can’t make relevant suggestions until I have a better idea of what you’re experiencing. I don’t recommend doing random cleaning.

In addition…
Did you try adjusting the LCD CONTRAST control? Did it help with the display?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2017 @ 01:07 PM
wesk1212
Joined  07-25-2017

Hi sorry about the video.
I managed to get the sound and upload. It is attached.
Also yes, LCD was just a dim adjustment issue.

Thanks.

File Attachments
20170726_092527 (audio-extractor.net).mp3  (File Size: 1207KB - Downloads: 173)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2017 @ 01:23 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Thanks for the audio. Yes, that does sound quite bad.

Does it sound the same listening on headphones connected to the PHONES jack?

Do all the Voices sound like that - in particular, the ones in the Preset banks (PRE 1 ~ PRE 8)?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2017 @ 01:37 PM
wesk1212
Joined  07-25-2017

Yes it sounds like that for all speakers and headphone. Ive tried different speakers

The funny thing is that after I play these noise for like 45 min -1 hour minutes the noise disappear.

And after I turn it off and leave it off for awhile the noise continues after motif startup. But If I turn on right away, there is no noise.

It seems like there is something going on after the motif start, maybe a corrosion like you said. I do live at westcoast close to the beach. But its funny that these noise dissapear after 45minute to 1 hour after the motif boots up.
I just found out.

Hope I did well explaining my part.
Also, If this continues, Where should I take my motif for repair?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2017 @ 04:48 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Noise, distortion, and artifacts can be caused by faulty digital-to-analog conversion. Unfortunately, that can result from various failures.

The fact that the problem disappears after running awhile has me thinking of two possibilities. One relates to salt contamination, which can hold moisture. Running the XF could warm it enough to dry it temporarily. Have you tried running it in an air-conditioned space?

Another fault that can temporarily improve while running is electrolytic capacitors that are in marginal condition.

To locate a repair facility, I suggest that you contact Yamaha Support. The address and phone number can be found on the last page of the Owner’s Manual.

Best of luck.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2017 @ 06:20 PM
wesk1212
Joined  07-25-2017

Appreciate your time and knowledge.
Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2017 @ 10:53 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi wesk1212,

Your video intrigued me a little.

Just from trying to stop your video on a frame that shows the cabling at the rear of your Motif XF, I don’t seem to be able to see two cables for main left and right analog outputs.

I can see one white ended cable but can’t tell where it is plugged.

Could you just go over your cabling between your Motif XF, your computer (if it is involved) and your KRKs.

Also can you confirm for us that you plugged headphones directly in to the Motif XF’s headphones socket to check it?

I’m sure you probably need to locate a repair facility, but I’d just like to investigate your cabling.

Image Attachments
capture.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 28, 2017 @ 02:43 PM
wesk1212
Joined  07-25-2017

Hi Philwoodmusic,
I have checked the phone jack,
also I only had one cable (mono) to check my speakers after some inspection.
however I did try using both (L/R) speakers to test and they still make noise.
At this point, I am assuming that it is salt contamination like 5pindin said.
I do live in california and my motif was stored in a storage for couple months.
Also I live next to the beach so....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 28, 2017 @ 02:47 PM
wesk1212
Joined  07-25-2017

its funny that the noise disappears after around an hour of playing keyboard..I have to play it a bit to make it disappear.
I scheduled for a fixup at a yamaha dealer so I’ll post what the problem was.
meanwhile if anybody had a simlar problem please let me know

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ VST EDITOR help
Next Topic:

Motif XF - Store Mix Data? ››