mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Pattern Mode - MIDI to select section"

Posted on: October 23, 2013 @ 11:55 AM
PeoplesFrontofJudea
Total Posts:  3
Joined  10-23-2013

First-time poster.  I am first a guitar player so much of what the Motif XF can do is a bit of a mystery.  I’ve spent the last couple of weeks trying to get my mind around it, with some success.  One thing has eluded me. 

In Pattern Mode, I’d like be able to use my foot controller to select a new pattern section.  My foot controller (a Behringer FCB1010 with uno mod) can send PC or CC data but not sysex.  After scouring the forum, it looks to me like this is not doable.  Does anyone disagree?  Could it be done by sysex (say, if I used a MIDI translator or a different foot controller)? 

Appreciate any thoughts.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 23, 2013 @ 02:09 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
PeoplesFrontofJudea - 23 October 2013 11:55 AM

[...]
In Pattern Mode, I’d like be able to use my foot controller to select a new pattern section.  My foot controller (a Behringer FCB1010 with uno mod) can send PC or CC data but not sysex.  After scouring the forum, it looks to me like this is not doable.  Does anyone disagree?  Could it be done by sysex (say, if I used a MIDI translator or a different foot controller)? 

Appreciate any thoughts.

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, I don’t disagree. The Mode (Voice/Performance/Pattern/Song/Master) can be selected via SysEx. The Pattern or Song number can be chosen using a Song Select message. But as far as I know, there’s no way to externally select a Pattern Section.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 23, 2013 @ 07:57 PM
PeoplesFrontofJudea
Joined  10-23-2013

Thanks 5pinDIN.  Where I am confused is that it appears that the Yamaha foot controller can do it.  Or perhaps that is old information.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 24, 2013 @ 06:26 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

The Motif ES had the capability to select Pattern Section via SysEx, and apparently so did the Classic Motif, until the OS was updated.

The XF seems to transmit a Control Change (CC#3) message when a Pattern Section is changed via the panel while a Pattern is playing. It’s of the form B0 03 0n, where n = 0~F(corresponding to Sections A~P). However, sending such a message to the XF (I used MIDI-OX) doesn’t appear to cause a response. I’m not sure how the Controller #3 message is used, since it’s not a standard CC number (it’s “undefined").

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 24, 2013 @ 07:23 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

There is no reference to Pattern Sections in the MIDI data section of the Data List. That suggests there is no way to control Section selection via MIDI.

This question has been asked many times in this forum, the answer is always the same :(

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 24, 2013 @ 08:48 AM
PeoplesFrontofJudea
Joined  10-23-2013

Thanks guys.  Just to be clear, does this also mean that the MFC10 cannot do it on the XF?  This article indicates it could do so on the ES:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/using_your_motif_es_with_the_mfc10_midi_foot_controller

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 24, 2013 @ 10:17 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The XF cannot change Section via MIDI. Use the front panel buttons for real time changes, use the CHAIN function to automate Sections changes.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 24, 2013 @ 10:49 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
PeoplesFrontofJudea - 24 October 2013 08:48 AM

Thanks guys.  Just to be clear, does this also mean that the MFC10 cannot do it on the XF?  This article indicates it could do so on the ES:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/using_your_motif_es_with_the_mfc10_midi_foot_controller

The ES had a SysEx message (F0 43 7E 00 0n 7F F7) found in the ES Data List, that could be sent to it for Pattern Section Control. That capability doesn’t exist in the XF, and wasn’t in the XS either.

Having said that, I’d still like to know what the purpose is of the B0 03 0n message that’s sent by the XF when the Section is changed via the panel.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 24, 2013 @ 05:08 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

When I used to program sound alike files back in the nineties, and again with the RM1X and RS7000 we would use cc003 as a marker. Often when programming data for various devices (Arps, Phrases, Styles, etc) you write data out linearly, later it can be divided into shorter segments ... The cc003 event could be placed at the top of the measure to act as a visual marker for the engineer responsible for formatting the data into the various products.

Example if you are writing a song with an eight measure section, likely you would (if you need to transition to another section) write a fill-in in measure 8. You most likely don’t write 7 measures and then write a separate one measure Phrase ( who does that?)

But in the product it might need to formatted so the user can access just the fill-in… The “marker” message could be left by the author so the formatting engineer knows what is intended. A marker at the top of measure 008 would alert them that a division should take place. (In a lot of the more esoteric electronica, without these markers, they may never figure where to make a division) :-)

The arps, styles and preset phrases in some of the various products are made from complete compositions, divided into separate entities that can be reassembled and manipulated by the user.

I’m not absolutely sure what the “marker” message means in this data, but it maybe used in how the data is transferred during the direct Performance Record routine.. They use an undefined controller number… so they can define what it means… And it should not impact anything going on in the instrument

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 24, 2013 @ 07:20 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Bad_Mister - 24 October 2013 05:08 PM

When I used to program sound alike files back in the nineties, and again with the RM1X and RS7000 we would use cc003 as a marker. [...]

Thanks for the interesting perspective on the use of CC#3.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2017 @ 12:03 PM
dsetto
Total Posts:  435
Joined  01-24-2014
5pinDIN - 24 October 2013 07:20 PM
Bad_Mister - 24 October 2013 05:08 PM

When I used to program sound alike files back in the nineties, and again with the RM1X and RS7000 we would use cc003 as a marker. [...]

Thanks for the interesting perspective on the use of CC#3.

Agreed.

It would be nice if Bad Mister can visit here once a month to provide us with his deep insight on the Motif.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Song Mode looping.
Next Topic:

Vocoder structure and settings ››