mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Question about Master Mode"

Posted on: February 16, 2017 @ 06:34 AM
jg666
Total Posts:  178
Joined  11-15-2015

I’ve read the article on ‘understanding the master mode’ but still not 100% sure about something.

If I put a particular voice or performance into the master list (not sure if that’s the correct terminology), does it overwrite whatever voice is already occupying that slot or is the master list just a pointer to the locations of those voices/performances etc?

The reason I ask is that I’ve saved a few performances only to realise later that I’ve overwritten the only copy of whatever performance was there previously!

Hope that makes sense!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2017 @ 10:43 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

A Master does not change the Voice, Performance, Song, or Pattern it recalls.
Those programs remain untouched, in their original locations.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2017 @ 10:44 AM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015

Excellent thanks :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2017 @ 02:56 PM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015

A bit off on a tangent here but....

I’ve purchased a 1GB flash board and will be purchasing the Melas tools this weekend. I was wondering about moving a few voices and performances that I’ve created myself so that there’s less chance of them being overwritten when I load other voice packages.

Is there less chance of them being overwritten if I put them towards the end of the user slots? If I load stuff like inspirations in a flash and vintage keys, will they by default go into the lower user slots or can you choose what goes where yourself?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2017 @ 03:32 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jg666 - 17 February 2017 02:56 PM

A bit off on a tangent here but....

I’ve purchased a 1GB flash board and will be purchasing the Melas tools this weekend. I was wondering about moving a few voices and performances that I’ve created myself so that there’s less chance of them being overwritten when I load other voice packages.

Even with the best intentions, accidents happen. Make and keep backups.

jg666 -

Is there less chance of them being overwritten if I put them towards the end of the user slots? If I load stuff like inspirations in a flash and vintage keys, will they by default go into the lower user slots or can you choose what goes where yourself?

If you load an “all” file in entirety, entire banks are overwritten.  Even loading one bank of Voices at a time will overwrite the entire bank you direct it to. You can, of course, load specific individual User locations. The Melas software probably makes it easier to manipulate your data, but nothing is immune to operator error. As I just suggested, make backups.  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2017 @ 07:40 PM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015

Ok understood. Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2017 @ 05:38 AM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015

The inspirations in a flash file I’ve downloaded is a .X6A type file. Can this be selectively imported (choose voices to import) or does it have to be an ‘all’ type of import?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2017 @ 11:04 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jg666 - 28 February 2017 05:38 AM

The inspirations in a flash file I’ve downloaded is a .X6A type file. Can this be selectively imported (choose voices to import) or does it have to be an ‘all’ type of import?

A specific individual Voice can be loaded to a selected User location, and any associated sample can also be loaded to the (optional) flash module at the same time.

See “Voice” on page 156 of the MOXF Reference Manual.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2017 @ 01:53 PM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015

Great. Thanks very much.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2017 @ 01:34 PM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015

I still haven’t loaded the IIAF yet! I’m just about ready to start doing this. I’ve had a play around with the Melas Tools and I think I know the theory behind it now.

I’ve made backups of my MOXF both on a USB stick from the keyboard itself and on my computer using the Melas Tools.

I was thinking that it might be best if I install all of the IIAF and then import this into the Melas tools and save it named IIAF Version (or something meaningful).

This is where I’m guessing a bit now though. But I believe I will then be able to mix and match my USER and PERFORMANCE banks from 2 different saved libraries in Melas Tools to create a brand new library and then transmit that to the synth?

Have I got the theory right?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 26, 2017 @ 05:34 AM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015

I’ve finally loaded IIAF and have confirmed that I can do what I was hoping I could do. The IIAF overwrote all 3 User banks but I was then able to drag and drop from my previous save using Melas tools and bring back my user performances.

I’m now struggling to alter the voices etc that the Master mode locations are pointing to. More reading required!!

Edit - just realised I have to use the Master Editor to do this :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2017 @ 01:42 AM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015

Re the Melas Master Editor - does anyone know what the 2 circled controls are for? I can’t find mention of them in the manual and when I asked John by email he said it was for knob1 and knob2. I still don’t know what that means though!

Image Attachments
master editor.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 30, 2017 @ 03:26 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

The MOXF knobs are in two sections. The upper can be rotated through Tone1, Tone2 and Tone3 while the lower can be rotated through EQ, Effect and ARP.

For each master you can program what row is active by default when you select a master.  For example, let’s say you would like to have immediate access to the ADSR and arpeggiator parameters, then select Tone2 for Knob Up and ARP for Knob Down.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 31, 2017 @ 01:18 AM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015
meatballfulton - 30 March 2017 03:26 PM

The MOXF knobs are in two sections. The upper can be rotated through Tone1, Tone2 and Tone3 while the lower can be rotated through EQ, Effect and ARP.

For each master you can program what row is active by default when you select a master.  For example, let’s say you would like to have immediate access to the ADSR and arpeggiator parameters, then select Tone2 for Knob Up and ARP for Knob Down.

That’s excellent. Thanks very much.

[ Ignore ]