mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Part Select turns off ARP"

Posted on: March 08, 2017 @ 05:09 AM
Keys4Jazz
Total Posts:  12
Joined  02-20-2013

Has anyone noticed this issue, or is my MX going crazy.

I am using an arp for a bass line (voice #2), and then playing a lead instrument with right hand, then changing the lead instrument (voice #1) to a different sound with the Part Select and the buttons.

When I push Part Select, and select a new voice, the arp for the bass keeps playing but will not change pitch when I press a different key. It is stuck in one key. If I turn off the Part Select button, the bass arp will change notes like I expect.

This is not a good setup for playing live.  If I want to record a bass line first, then play different lead instruments with the Part Select button, that should work fine. But for playing live, I cannot change lead sounds without freezing the bass in one key.

Reading the manual tells me that you can select different voices
for playing live, OK that works, but they don’t say anything about the bass arp locking up.

Whats up with that???

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2017 @ 05:59 PM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013

I think whether the bass changes pitch or not, or its behavior in general is determined by how the original arpeggio was built.  So I think to geta clear answer to this question you should know whether the arpeggio convert type is fixed note , original note etc:

Original note arpeggios “will adjust the notes in phrase according to the musical key, chord tense (major, minor, dominant, diminished) of the controlling trigger notes.

See
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/arpeggios_explored_part_i

Another approach (If I understand what you are trying to do) is to setup one voice with the base line and arpeggiators that you want and set up a second voice with same base line and arpeggiators with the new lead voice, and then assign them both in mixing mode for the live performance.

Yep, mixing mode can be used in live performance, with a different voice, insert effects, etc assigned to each track, all you do is hit the track number and you get the new lead voice, with the correct arpeggiator assigned to it.  See

https://www.yamahasynth.com/resources/item/293-using-a-mixing-program-for-quick-access-to-multiple-sounds-in-a-live-setup

At least that’s what I seem to remember LOL.  Yea, work out all of the voices you are going to use during a live performance, assign each one to a different track in the mixing mode, save the whole thing in an empty song bank.  During the live performance DO NOT hit the play button on the transport, but simply select the track you want to use for your sound and I think arpgeggios and all come along if you’ve set everything up right.

If the arpeggio functions one way in performance mode and voice mode, and differently during live performance, that usually means you’ve turned off or on some parameter associated with the voice in voice mode, or some parameter in performance mode that caused it to act differently.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2017 @ 04:55 AM
Keys4Jazz
Joined  02-20-2013

Hey Monk, Thanks for the explanation, but you lost me on that one.  On a MX, there are no options for an arpeggio except on/off, select arp number. That’s it so I don’t see way to learn or change anything there.  Mix mode for performing live? On a MX, I missed the boat again.  I’m playing a bass arp as part 2, and lead part 1. Play different bass notes and the arp changes of course, but when I push the Part Select to change the #1 lead voice to #3 or #4, then the bass arp notes will not change. The bass arp is locked in one key.  Turn the part select off, then you can change notes on the bass, but you are on voice #1 for lead, no choices for other lead instruments.
Try it on an MX, let me know if you have the same results.

Bottom line is; if I am playing live in a band, and playing synth chords and lead only, Part Select will work for different voices.  If I am trying to be a one man band, bass, drums, lead, chords, when I switch to a different lead sound with Part Select, the bass freezes in one key.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2017 @ 09:45 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Which OS version is installed in the MX?

From the Operating System Updater Readme…

How to check the version of your MX49/MX61

1. Press the [UTILITY] button, and then press the [JOB] button.
2. Press the Cursor [V] button to select “03:Version,” and then press the [ENTER] button.
3. The following message will appear at the bottom of the display:
-------------------------------------
Boot:*.** Firm:*.**
-------------------------------------
The unit’s version is indicated by “Firm:*.**”.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2017 @ 10:46 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

This might be interesting:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/473696/

VycroMX Editor:
http://www.vycromx.com/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2017 @ 02:00 PM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013
Keys4Jazz - 10 March 2017 04:55 AM

Hey Monk, Thanks for the explanation, but you lost me on that one.  On a MX, there are no options for an arpeggio except on/off, select arp number. That’s it so I don’t see way to learn or change anything there.  Mix mode for performing live? On a MX, I missed the boat again.  I’m playing a bass arp as part 2, and lead part 1. Play different bass notes and the arp changes of course, but when I push the Part Select to change the #1 lead voice to #3 or #4, then the bass arp notes will not change. The bass arp is locked in one key.  Turn the part select off, then you can change notes on the bass, but you are on voice #1 for lead, no choices for other lead instruments.
Try it on an MX, let me know if you have the same results.

Bottom line is; if I am playing live in a band, and playing synth chords and lead only, Part Select will work for different voices.  If I am trying to be a one man band, bass, drums, lead, chords, when I switch to a different lead sound with Part Select, the bass freezes in one key.

Yo Keys4Jazz, I apologize for my reply, for some reason I thought you were referring to the MOX.  (Maybe I saw an O in that MX).  Did I get that from your profile?

Yea, the techniques I’m talking about pertain to the MOX, MOXF, and MOTIF XF.  I’m not familiar at all with the MX.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2017 @ 11:31 PM
Keys4Jazz
Joined  02-20-2013

Hey Monk, My questions are about MX.  You are right, I do have a MOX, but I bought a MX a few months back, I’m trying to learn everything about it.
Now that I know you were referring to MOX, I’m going to go back and read your post and apply that info to the MOX.  Thanks for your input, there was plenty of good information there that I can use.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2017 @ 12:08 AM
Keys4Jazz
Joined  02-20-2013

5PIN, my firm is 1.00, and I see that there is a 1.01 available, so I am going to try that. That other post was describing the same issue, I’m going to try to use VYCRO to solve that.

Thanks K4J

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ First day behind the board
Next Topic:

New setup ››