mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "When Doves Cry Drums - MotifXS Effects Settings?"

Posted on: February 28, 2017 @ 04:09 AM
MichaelLesko
Total Posts:  21
Joined  04-22-2011

I have the LinnDrum samples, all the properly tuned, but I can’t seem to replicate the drum effects on the MotifXS to match the original recording. 

What I know, Prince used his Boss pedals to get the effect.  I saw a dutch video (couldn’t understand the language lol) but I did catch “gated reverb” and “flange”.  I’ve been trying hard to to find the right effects on the board but I can’t even get close.

Can anyone help?  Any information would be appreciated.

I downloaded the LinnDrum samples from here..
http://trashaudio.com/2012/10/linndrum-lm2-samples/

I purchased the MP3 song so you can hear it here (youtube doesn’t have his videos up anymore so I thought it would be useful)
http://www.leskofolio.com/prince/When_doves_cry.mp3

Again, any help on the effects settings would be greatly appreciated!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2017 @ 09:31 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

As far as I’m aware, there isn’t a Noise Gate that you could use to gate some reverb on the Motif XF or XS

Look for FX like Early Reflection though, which may be a little like the gated reverb popularised in the 80s, but not totally like it.

The basic mechanics of an FX processor gated reverb (on a snare drum sample for example) involve taking a snare drum and sending it to a reverb, such as a normal room, hall or plate with a reasonable length of tail.

You then send the output of that to the normal input of a noise gate.

All noise gates have an extra input called a ‘key input’ which is an input you can use to precisely trigger the opening and closing of the noise gate to whatever audio you like. In this situation, you need another copy of the snare sample to use as a trigger. (unprocessed, no reverb etc)

Send that snare drum copy to the key input of the gate and it will open and shut every time it sounds for the exact duration.

You won’t hear the snare copy audio at all though, the gate will just be reacting to it over the reverberated snare.

The end result is that the noise gate will shape the reverberated audio you plugged in first of all, to match the snare copy.

You should then blend the resulting sound with your unprocessed snare, to your own taste, in your mix.

Hopefully the result is a much more powerful or explosive snare sound.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2017 @ 09:56 PM
MichaelLesko
Total Posts:  21
Joined  04-22-2011

Thanks so much Phil, I’ll look for that effect tonight.  At least I’ve got somewhere to start now :) Thanks again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2017 @ 10:02 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

No worries, see how you get on.

It’s a really simple process, but it’s a bit of a pig to describe.  You may find that I’ve refined things with a few edits by the time you come to try it out.

It may also be something you could achieve in a DAW with careful editing.

Take a snare sample and put it through a reverb in your DAW.  Bounce the snare and reverb together.

Import it to your DAW alongside your original, unprocessed snare and try to edit the processed one to match the duration of the original one.

Balance the two to taste.

You’ll likely end up with glitching and the need to make very short fades at near sub atomic level, though.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ How to turn Vocoder mic off
Next Topic:

Individual Pitch Bend on a Motif ES7? ››