mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Using MOTIF 6 as a control surface for Sonar Platinum"

Posted on: February 27, 2017 @ 04:29 PM
balinas
Total Posts:  4
Joined  02-27-2017

Hello all.  I have had a MOTIF6 for quite some time and I am still enjoying it!  In the past I have tried to connect it to Sonar with no success. 

I am now using a ACT program called AZ Controller in Sonar PLT which has given my MCU-PRO complete abilities to control whatever in Sonar.  I have now used AZ Controller to connect Sonar with my MOTIF6.  I see functionality with the rotary knobs and the sliders, but I don’t see any functionality in the transport controls. 

I am sure others have used their MOTIF’s with Sonar.  What can I expect as far as a control surface with MOTIF and Sonar?  Will the transport buttons work, or not?

Thanks for any responses!

-Balinas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2017 @ 08:44 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

If you put the Motif into Remote Mode, it should control Sonar over USB as described in the Data List manual. 

I have no idea what this AZ Controller program is.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2017 @ 09:45 PM
balinas
Total Posts:  4
Joined  02-27-2017

Thanks!  I did find the Remote Control Assignments in the MOTIF manual.
Unfortunately for me, following the suggested setup found on page 256 in the MOTIF Manual has never worked for me in any of the versions of Sonar that I have had over the years.

And I think I have found out why.  AZ Controller is a control surface plug-in specifically written to run control surfaces out of Sonar.  The old, built-in Sonar templates are something that had been neglected in Sonar for sometime.  AZ Controller and its documentation can be found at azslow.com .  It is free.  Through this plug-in, you can use control surfaces with either midi control, or through OSC.  I have been using AZ Controller to expertly run my MCU-PRO. 

It allows you to see if even your midi messages are getting through to Sonar, thus allowing discrete programming of all buttons.

Anyway, I have found that the MOTIF6 creates 3 midi ports, 6-1, 6-2, and 6-3.  6-1 in/out port is where the midi notes travel.  And apparently the 6-3 port handles the ‘remote control’ control surface messages. 

All these years unknowingly I have been trying to connect the MOTIF6 as a control surface through 6-1, which actually has some connectivity, but NOT with the TRANSPORT buttons.  When I switched the control surface settings to connect through 6-3, all of a sudden I get TRANSPORT button controls!  And I get programmability through the buttons described in the Cakewalk remote control assignments in the Motif manual.  Only now with AZ Controller, I can program them to whatever I like and find useful!

So, if anyone is using Sonar and having any issues with their control surfaces, or would like to program them to different functions/commands, then look up Alexey’s program AZ Controller on azslow.com . 

I also have a iPhone on which I use TouchOSC for remote control of Sonar through wi-fi.  I use this while sitting at my recording booth, which is a bit separated from my computer work station. 

thanks again! As I find out more, I will let everyone know.

[ Ignore ]