mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Understanding Performances and more"

Posted on: January 11, 2017 @ 12:57 PM
jg666
Total Posts:  178
Joined  11-15-2015

As I’ve now semi-retired from work I’m trying to get to grips with the MOXF. I’ve had it for well over a year and a lot of the things I can do with it are still a mystery to me. I think the user manuals leave much to be desired so still struggling.

I have created a couple of Layers and saved them as Performances. I think I’ve made this same mistake before though! It looks like I’ve overwritten the first 2 existing performances - it doesn’t seem to be like the Voices banks where the user ones are just duplicates of existing voices?

So is the only way to save a performance to overwrite and existing one? Am I doing wrong in saving it as a performance if this is the case?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 11, 2017 @ 01:38 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
jg666 - 11 January 2017 12:57 PM

As I’ve now semi-retired from work I’m trying to get to grips with the MOXF. I’ve had it for well over a year and a lot of the things I can do with it are still a mystery to me. I think the user manuals leave much to be desired so still struggling.

The Motif family are “deep”, and unfortunately the manuals aren’t always the most transparent when it comes to explaining the intricacies.

jg666 -

I have created a couple of Layers and saved them as Performances. I think I’ve made this same mistake before though! It looks like I’ve overwritten the first 2 existing performances - it doesn’t seem to be like the Voices banks where the user ones are just duplicates of existing voices?

Yes, it’s true that the Performances are all in User banks, and each is unique. Most users find that there are several factory Performances that don’t fit their needs. I’d suggest going through the Performances and making note of any you don’t currently find useful. You can then overwrite those locations with your own creations.

If wanted at a later time, factory Performances can be restored in total through a factory reset. Individual ones can be reloaded from a previously saved “All” file - see “Performance” on page 156 of the MOXF Reference Manual.

jg666 -

So is the only way to save a performance to overwrite and existing one? Am I doing wrong in saving it as a performance if this is the case?

If you want to completely avoid overwriting a factory Performance, then you could create your layers as Song or Pattern Mixings - there are 64 locations available for each (maximum total of 128). Since Mixings don’t take up much sequencer space, even if you used several of the 128 locations, there would still be room for a significant number of Songs or Patterns.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 11, 2017 @ 02:03 PM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015

Excellent thanks once again for your speedy and useful reply :-)

Hopefully I won’t pester people too much on here as I get myself deeper into the MOXF!

I’ve also got a Korg Minilogue and have found that much easier to get along with but then again the Yamaha is in a different league regarding features.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2017 @ 03:48 AM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015

When you layer a few voices to make a performance, if you then switch the arpeggiator on, which arps does it use?

For example I layered 3 voices, all of which have arps assigned, so when you switch the arps on for the performance does it use the set of arps assigned to a particular voice ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2017 @ 10:32 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

The MOXF has four arpeggiators, so each of the four Parts of a Performance could have a different Arp assigned to it for each of the six ( [SF1]ARP1 - [SF6]ARP6 ) possible selections.

See Arpeggio Edit on page 57 of the MOXF Reference Manual, and the linked reference to page 27 for details of the settings.

Note that the Arpeggio Switch (page 27) for each Part will determine whether a particular Part can have an Arp playing when the ARP[ON/OFF] button is “ON” (lit).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2017 @ 05:53 AM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015

OK thanks. I’ve been exploring creating performances (layers) and then messing with the arps of the voices.

Not sure how to phrase this question to make it understandable but I’ll have a go!!

I’ve layered 3 voices
1) Noble Pad (or something like that)
2) Grand Piano
3) a drum voice

I’ve enabled voice 1 to have the Arp playing all the time but I want to be more selective than that. I’d only like it to arpeggiate from a certain note upwards as the lower notes can’t really be heard but they do affect the sound of the Arp pattern.

I tried making voice 1 so that it only played from that note upwards and that stopped it playing on notes lower, but it still included the lower notes in the Arp pattern.

Is what I’m trying to do possible?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2017 @ 09:50 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

A Performance has two kinds of Note Limits, one for the Parts and another for the Arps. That is, besides limiting the range of the notes you can play, the range of notes played by the Arp can also be limited.

Arpeggio Edit for Performances begins on page 57 of the MOXF Reference Manual. To Note Limit an Arp, see [F4] LIMIT on page 58, with a link to page 28 for details.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2017 @ 04:46 AM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015

I think I’m doing this right but it’s not having the desired effect.

When I change the limit, it’s actually changing the limit of that voice (part) rather than stopping it from including that key from being part of the Arp. Even then it still affects the Arp pattern even though it’s not actually playing that part.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2017 @ 07:26 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jg666 - 19 January 2017 04:46 AM

I think I’m doing this right but it’s not having the desired effect.

When I change the limit, it’s actually changing the limit of that voice (part) rather than stopping it from including that key from being part of the Arp. Even then it still affects the Arp pattern even though it’s not actually playing that part.

Either it’s not clear to me what the problem you’re having is, or you’re not editing the correct Parameters.

Note Limit (High and Low) as described on page 65 of the MOXF Reference Manual determine the range of notes that can be played for each Part, and they have to be separately set for each of the active Parts in a Performance.

If you’re trying to limit a Part to playing only the Arp, then see ArpPlyOnly (Arpeggio Play Only), also on page 65.

My previous post gave the page references for limiting the key range for Arp play.

If the above doesn’t help, then you could attach an “All” file (zipped) to a post and hopefully we’ll be able to see what the issue might be.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2017 @ 12:38 PM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015

Basically what I want is for the Noble Pad part to play normal notes for the entire range of the keyboard but only notes from middle C upwards to play the Arp that is switched on for that part and that part only.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2017 @ 01:49 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jg666 - 19 January 2017 12:38 PM

Basically what I want is for the Noble Pad part to play normal notes for the entire range of the keyboard but only notes from middle C upwards to play the Arp that is switched on for that part and that part only.

1) Use Arp Note Limit for the relevant Part. I’ve previously provided reference to the applicable information in the manual.

2) Turn “on” or “off” the Arp Switch for each Part as desired.
Press [EDIT], use buttons [5]~[8] for Parts 1~4 Arp on/off.

3) STORE the Performance when satisfied with the result.

I hope that helps. If not, post an “All” file (without sample), so that we can see what you’re doing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2017 @ 01:32 PM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015

Sorry I’ve only just got back to you about this, I’ve had builders, decorators and then finally carpet fitters in so all my gear had to move out of the lounge.

I’m beginning to think that I’m approaching this ‘problem’ from the wrong direction. I’m now thinking that I need to do it as a ‘velocity’ type arpeggio and have played about with that and I think that will meet my needs.

Basically now that I’ve done this, the arpeggio only plays if I keep the keys pressed down long enough. This means I can play the lower notes shorter and then prevent them from interfering with the arpeggio :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ yamaha moxf copy arp3 to arp6
Next Topic:

Footswitch primer? ››