mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Measure Cut And Splice In Song/Pattern Mode?"

Posted on: October 16, 2016 @ 11:40 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Total Posts:  317
Joined  04-30-2016

Hi!

I am working on composing a song.

Is it possible to make a clean cut out of a measure and join the cut end to the next measure? For example: I have a phrase (part of a pattern) that starts recording at beat one but I do not play until the second subdivision of beat four in measure 2.

Later, I do not want to record the same piece again, but need to modify the timing. I have it in a pattern chain, and the last measure of section B has no notes beyond beat two.

Can I take the second beat of the last measure of section b and cut out everything from there to the second subdivision of beat 4 in measure one of section C? And then join the two together for a seamless transition?

I would hate to re-record this section, as it was spontaneous, and I cannot necessarily repeat it.

Thanks!

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 17, 2016 @ 01:43 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016

I will re-phrase the words. Can I cut out three or more extra empty beats from a song and have the two sections transition seamlessly?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 17, 2016 @ 08:23 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

You can probably use the Shift Clock job to do what you want.

1. Erase the notes you want to get rid off.

2. Set the range to shift as starting at the point you want to splice and running to the end of the song.

3. Set the clock value to the number of beats you removed.

Good luck!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 18, 2016 @ 03:49 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016
meatballfulton - 17 October 2016 08:23 PM

You can probably use the Shift Clock job to do what you want.

1. Erase the notes you want to get rid off.

2. Set the range to shift as starting at the point you want to splice and running to the end of the song.

3. Set the clock value to the number of beats you removed.

Good luck!

My XF will not allow me to shift the clock backwards. If I change the first box to measure 25, and the other to 24, they both change to 24. Also, I cannot seem to erase the measure data that I need to. I erased everything except for the notes after beat three, and the empty space is still there!

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 25, 2016 @ 10:06 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016

Ok. I need to shift the clock backwards. My notes start on beat three of measure one, and I need to have them start on beat one.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 26, 2016 @ 12:01 PM
meatballfulton
Joined  01-25-2005

So do you have this working now or not?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 26, 2016 @ 03:19 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016
meatballfulton - 26 October 2016 12:01 PM

So do you have this working now or not?

It is not working.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 26, 2016 @ 09:23 PM
meatballfulton
Joined  01-25-2005

EDIT:

I tried this myself on a song of my own, the clock shift did exactly what you wrote you needed, both on single tracks and all tracks.  I moved the song forward (to a later measure) using Delay and backwards (to an earlier measure) using Advance.

Either you are not setting the parameters correctly or I totally misunderstand your problem.

You could also try Copy Events. Select your entire track starting with the first beat you want to copy, then copy it to an empty track starting on whatever measure/beat you like.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 28, 2016 @ 05:39 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016
meatballfulton - 26 October 2016 09:23 PM

You could also try Copy Events. Select your entire track starting with the first beat you want to copy, then copy it to an empty track starting on whatever measure/beat you like.

That will not work. The original Pattern contains the extra two beats.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 28, 2016 @ 05:44 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016

EDIT:

I tried this myself on a song of my own, the clock shift did exactly what you wrote you needed, both on single tracks and all tracks.  I moved the song forward (to a later measure) using Delay and backwards (to an earlier measure) using Advance.

Either you are not setting the parameters correctly or I totally misunderstand your problem.

I find the process very confusing. How do I use that job correctly? When I tried your suggestion, I got a whole block of notes played at the same time. Not what I need. :-)

... or I totally misunderstand your problem.

Here it is laid out in basic form. I have a pattern section C. I started playing the notes on beat Three of the first measure. I want those notes to start playing on Beat One of that measure instead.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 29, 2016 @ 09:55 AM
meatballfulton
Joined  01-25-2005

I have uploaded two files.

MAXMO.n3.X3P
MAXMO.wav

One is a all pattern file (.x3p) with pattern #1 MADMO, with a chain programmed. The second is a WAV file recording of that chain playing.

The pattern has five 2 bar sections, (A through E). Section A has one bar of drums followed by one bar of piano plus drums. Each section following used Shift Clock Advance of a single best of the piano part only (the odd numbered phrases...001, 003, 005, etc.) and you can hear it move against the drums. The final section (E) has moved the piano by four beats so you hear one bar of piano plus drums followed by one bar of drums only.

Look into the patterns using Edit to check the timing (everything was quantized to fall on 1/4 note boundaries).

Is this the sort of thing you are trying to do?

Here it is laid out in basic form. I have a pattern section C. I started playing the notes on beat Three of the first measure. I want those notes to start playing on Beat One of that measure instead.

This exact process is what I used for my example MAXMO:

1. Copy section C to another section as a backup, P (last) is good

2. Figure out what the phrase number is. You do this by selecting section C and then select Patch. This will show your phrase numbers for each part in the mixing (unused parts will show --). See p.170 in the ref manual.

3. Select Job

4. Select Event

5. Select Shift Clock

6. Enter your phrase number

7. Enter the location of the first note (bar, beat, clock) which should be 001:03:000 in your case. 

8. Enter the end of the pattern (easiest to just scroll all the way to bar 999)

9. Enter the new starting position...001:01:000

10. Hit Enter to save the edit

11. Press Pattern and play section C, if it’s OK you are done...press Store. If not, go back into Job, select Undo and start over.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 30, 2016 @ 09:52 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016
meatballfulton - 29 October 2016 09:55 AM

I have uploaded two files.

MAXMO.n3.X3P
MAXMO.wav

One is a all pattern file (.x3p) with pattern #1 MADMO, with a chain programmed. The second is a WAV file recording of that chain playing.

The pattern has five 2 bar sections, (A through E). Section A has one bar of drums followed by one bar of piano plus drums. Each section following used Shift Clock Advance of a single best of the piano part only (the odd numbered phrases...001, 003, 005, etc.) and you can hear it move against the drums. The final section (E) has moved the piano by four beats so you hear one bar of piano plus drums followed by one bar of drums only.

Look into the patterns using Edit to check the timing (everything was quantized to fall on 1/4 note boundaries).

Is this the sort of thing you are trying to do?

This exact process is what I used for my example MAXMO:

1. Copy section C to another section as a backup, P (last) is good

2. Figure out what the phrase number is. You do this by selecting section C and then select Patch. This will show your phrase numbers for each part in the mixing (unused parts will show --). See p.170 in the ref manual.

3. Select Job

4. Select Event

5. Select Shift Clock

6. Enter your phrase number

7. Enter the location of the first note (bar, beat, clock) which should be 001:03:000 in your case. 

8. Enter the end of the pattern (easiest to just scroll all the way to bar 999)

9. Enter the new starting position...001:01:000

10. Hit Enter to save the edit

11. Press Pattern and play section C, if it’s OK you are done...press Store. If not, go back into Job, select Undo and start over.

I end up with all of the notes in the first measure being mushed with the first two notes in the second measure. It happens every time.

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2016 @ 08:58 AM
meatballfulton
Joined  01-25-2005

Post an All or All Patterns file and I’ll take a look at it.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Load XS Rack X1E file from USB
Next Topic:

Using S80 Voices ››