mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XF8 Freezing Up - Update: Can a Motif ES User Please Read This? Thanks!"

Posted on: October 18, 2016 @ 10:31 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Total Posts:  317
Joined  04-30-2016

Hi.

I was editing the ES “Bright Grand” voice and adding a key-off element. I noticed that I accidentally had the 1-16 buttons set to mute instead of Track select. I changed the selection to Track Select and then pressed solo to hear only the key-off element that I was editing. No sound came, even though the element was at 100 for volume and as switched on. I tried to turn off the Solo button, but nothing happened. No buttons worked on the entire synthesizer at all!!!!!! I had to turn the power off for it to reset. This CANNOT happen when I am performing live! I just got my XF8 in May, and it was made in February of this year. This is the first major issue. What do I do?

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 18, 2016 @ 11:12 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Mighty Motif Max - 18 October 2016 10:31 PM

[...] What do I do?

If you can recreate the freezing, please fully document the steps and post them here. That way, others can duplicate what you did and determine if there’s an operational bug.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 18, 2016 @ 11:17 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016
5pinDIN - 18 October 2016 11:12 PM

[...] What do I do?

If you can recreate the freezing, please fully document the steps and post them here. That way, others can duplicate what you did and determine if there’s an operational bug.

I definitely can recreate it.It happens every time that I try to add another element to a four-element Motif ES voice. I cannot hear the new element when I turn the it on, and if I press the solo button or category search, etc the whole keyboard locks up. I have tried with several ES voices, and this happens every time. I was certain that ES data was compatible with my XF. The files are from here: http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/converting_motif_es_and_mo6_mo8_data_to_the_motif_xs_and_motif_xf

I am using the User 1 bank sounds from the first ES file, specifically the Bright Grand and Home Piano sounds.

Someone had a similar problem with ES data here: http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2028569/Loading_ES_sounds_into_XS Look at the third post.

This should NOT be happening!

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 19, 2016 @ 09:43 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Mighty Motif Max - 18 October 2016 11:17 PM

I definitely can recreate it.It happens every time that I try to add another element to a four-element Motif ES voice. I cannot hear the new element when I turn the it on, and if I press the solo button or category search, etc the whole keyboard locks up. I have tried with several ES voices, and this happens every time. I was certain that ES data was compatible with my XF. The files are from here: http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/converting_motif_es_and_mo6_mo8_data_to_the_motif_xs_and_motif_xf

I am using the User 1 bank sounds from the first ES file, specifically the Bright Grand and Home Piano sounds.

I can verify that after loading ES Pre123+Dr1-32.X0V to my XF, it will lock up if I…
1) Select a User Voice
2) Press [EDIT]
3) Press [5]~[8]
4) Press [CATEGORY SEARCH]

However…
This does not happen after loading original ES files (.W7/.W8 type). It appears to be a problem restricted to the specific .X0V files in the ZIP file from the support article.

Note that an ES has only four Elements, and freezing occurs with the particular .X0V file(s) when an Element higher than “4” and [CATEGORY SEARCH] are selected on the XF. The .X0V file was meant to be loaded to an XS, and the problem doesn’t happen with an XS - it doesn’t have Category Search for Waveforms. It appears that whatever technique was used to create the .XOV files for the XS is incompatible with Waveform Category Search in an XF, for Elements beyond what an ES has.

Mighty Motif Max -

Someone had a similar problem with ES data here: http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2028569/Loading_ES_sounds_into_XS Look at the third post.

The problem reported there was with one ES file, when it was loaded to a Rack XS, so not exactly a “similar problem”.

Mighty Motif Max -

This should NOT be happening!

[...] This CANNOT happen when I am performing live![...]

If you find a situation where operations that would normally be done during live performing cause freezing, please document and post them. Otherwise, my suggestion is that you don’t attempt to add Elements beyond “4” to Voices from the ES_MO_2XS files, especially while performing. You could try contacting Yamaha about what you found, but I doubt they’ll be interested in addressing the issue.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 19, 2016 @ 10:47 AM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016

Thanks. I will not try adding those, now that I know.

Are those files available somewhere in the original Motif ES format?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 20, 2016 @ 06:32 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Mighty Motif Max - 19 October 2016 10:47 AM

[...]Are those files available somewhere in the original Motif ES format?

Not that I’m aware of. Since Preset bank Voices aren’t part of an “All” file (there’s not much point in saving something that isn’t volatile), someone with an ES would have to store each of the Presets in a User location, and then save a file. The ES_MO_2XS files accomplish the goal, but of course exhibit the behavior you’ve found.

Perhaps an ES owner will read this thread…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 20, 2016 @ 07:38 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016

5pinDIN

I changed the title header of this thread to reflect that. :-)

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 20, 2016 @ 08:00 PM
keyman@usa.net
Total Posts:  77
Joined  07-28-2006
Mighty Motif Max - 20 October 2016 07:38 PM

5pinDIN

I changed the title header of this thread to reflect that. :-)

-Max

Maybe post a request to the ES forum for help with this part of the task?

I own an ES but someone with more knowledge than me would be the best choice to do what you ask in this case.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 21, 2016 @ 02:59 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

I’ve come up with a solution to the problem, although it will require some effort.

Select a Voice (BriteGrand or other), then use the “Bulk Dump” Job (page 94 of the XF Reference Manual) to send it to a MIDI SysEx utility (I use MIDI-OX on my PC). Then use the utility to send the SysEx file back to the XF. This apparently strips out the problematic data - Elements 5~8 and Waveform Category Search can be used without the XF freezing.

As an example, I’ve attached a ZIP of ES-BriteGrand_XF.syx, which is the Bulk Dump from my XF of the ES Pre123+Dr1-32.X0V BriteGrand. Use whatever is appropriate for your computer to send the file to your XF.

What the XF receives from the utility is placed in the Edit buffer - no User location is overwritten. If you want to keep the Voice, STORE it to whichever location you want.

What I did can be done with any of the Voices from the ES_MO_2XS files.

It might be that something similar could be accomplished with the Melas Total Librarian software, possibly with all the Voices at once. I have only the Demo version, so this is just conjecture.

File Attachments
ES-BriteGrand_XF.zip  (File Size: 1KB - Downloads: 252)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 21, 2016 @ 11:01 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Here’s a way to fix each Voice, requiring nothing but the XF and a 5-pin DIN MIDI cable…

1) Load one of the ES_MO_2XS .X0V files.
2) Set “MIDI In/Out” in Utility mode to “MIDI”.
3) Connect the XF’s MIDI-OUT to its MIDI-IN with the cable.
4) Select a User Voice.
5) Press [JOB], [F4](Bulk), [ENTER], [INC/YES].
6) The display should indicate “Now receiving MIDI bulk data...”.
7) Press [STORE], [ENTER], [INC/YES].

That should “fix” the Voice. Repeat steps 4~7 for other Voices as wanted. Save an “All” or “All Voice” file if desired.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 22, 2016 @ 12:48 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016
5pinDIN - 21 October 2016 11:01 PM

Here’s a way to fix each Voice, requiring nothing but the XF and a 5-pin DIN MIDI cable…

4) Select a User Voice.

That should “fix” the Voice. Repeat steps 4~7 for other Voices as wanted. Save an “All” or “All Voice” file if desired.

Thanks!

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 22, 2016 @ 06:08 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Mighty Motif Max - 22 October 2016 12:48 PM
5pinDIN - 21 October 2016 11:01 PM

4) Select a User Voice.

Thanks!

You’re welcome!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif XF Pitch/Tune Problem After Loading X3A File
Next Topic:

Midi and audio ››