mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Powered Speaker"

Posted on: September 25, 2016 @ 01:36 PM
chr
Total Posts:  19
Joined  09-17-2013

I need a few suggestions for a powered speaker cabinet to use for live performance in a duo with a bass player. I am using mostly piano style voices/performances but also some synth/brass voices.
I am not satisfied with the sound from my Roland KC550. I got a QSCK8 because of it’s weight, and the sound is nice, but there is a depth or warmth that I am just not hearing. I have eq’d some of the piano voices with success, but it still seems like I am missing something. We do not use a PA, so the cabinet performs as both my monitor and front end. Any suggestions as to what you are using in a live gig would be appreciated.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 25, 2016 @ 03:12 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

IMHO, I’d forget about the Roland, which it sounds like you have.

The QSC is a good unit, but I personally would not use a single 8” speaker to push a room...even as a jazz duo.

#1, I would highly recommend you go stereo, that alone will really add to the “depth or warmth” you are looking for, and your keyboard was definitely designed for it.  Since you already have the QSC, get another one to match.  I would certainly do this even if you don’t go for my #2.

#2, I would suggest you try adding a subwoofer to the setup.  That will definitely get you some depth...not to mention room presence.  I’m not talking about pounding bass, just some real full-range, warm, enveloping sound.  At least try one out to evaluate what it can add.

With 2 K8s and a sub, you will have a thick, full sound that could push most rooms, without ever breaking a sweat.

Plus, you would be in great shape when you come across that perfect singer, a la The Fabulous Baker Boys.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 25, 2016 @ 05:42 PM
chr
Joined  09-17-2013

The idea of a second K8 makes sense. I was hoping for a single speaker solution, but between the sound if the K8, I can only imagine stereo. Then there is the potential of a PA as well. Even with two on amp stands the foot print would be small. Thanks for your thoughts.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 25, 2016 @ 11:02 PM
motidave
Total Posts:  426
Joined  10-03-2010

My side by side comparison of K8s and K10s vs DXR8/10s, I thought DXRs were warmer.  The Ks just sound a bit shrill to me.  Ymmv, everyone hears different.  I think K’s are overrated.

Nothing is as bad as a KC 550 though.  I once had one ... Awful.

EV makes nice speakers, I use an ELX112P, they have a better line ETX.  There’s more options then that.  My advice is don’t be stuck on QSC, I know a lot of keyboardist who used to like QSC who have switched to other brands.

and if you really want warm you probably need to go up to a 10” main driver as a min.

Btw you haven’t raised the stereo/mono question yet.  The best Yamaha pianos are stereo.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2016 @ 07:32 AM
chr
Joined  09-17-2013

motidave, ‘a bit shrill’ tends to fit my experience with the one K8. I would also say ‘harsh’. This may sound a little confusing, but I had thought initially that is was my use of the sustain pedal (Yamaha) with chord voicing above C4, so I eq’d the piano to reduce around 600 hz. and liked that better. I know the bass player insists it sounds great out front, but then again he hates the KC550. That cabinet is for sale. I live in a rural area, with places to compare speakers at a bit of a drive. I am going to go with stereo. Do you uses 2 ELX112P’s? The 12” cabinet is a little larger than I’d like, if using two.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2016 @ 08:23 AM
motidave
Total Posts:  426
Joined  10-03-2010

I only use one, I play mostly synth and EP stuff.  One band I pay with is mostly AP and I send stereo to the FOH.  Big drawback on ELX112P is size, but I got it for only $420 at the time.  The 12 does give nice warm response.  Pro Audio Star website had a B stock for $399 and when I ordered it they contacted me and asked if I wanted a factory new for $20 more.  Don’t know they have that deal now.

I’ve thought of a two PPA system but I always play venues with their own system so for me it’s just a stage monitor.

When I compared several speakers side by side I really did like the DXRs.  They didn’t have EVs at GC where I went.  if you really want to read a lot of pro keyboardist opinions on PPAs, go to Keyboard Corner Forum

Use search function for PPA, Powered Speakers, Speakers, etc ...and by all means go to a music retailer that has a large PA section, bring an MP3 with music you play and listen.  Get a system you like the sound thru and you’ll feel more confident playing, hence play better.  One vs two, lots of opinions on that too.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2016 @ 06:26 PM
chr
Joined  09-17-2013

I decided to order a Yamaha DXR12 delivered to my home. I am going to see if I can use it by itself, although I would love to hear stereo. It would just be too big a footprint, unless I go with the two K8s. That still may be, now that I have some eq’d pianos that has taken the edge off. I couldn’t find a negative review on the DXR, and Sweetwater sound has a good return policy.  They came in at $660 delivered, so I can audition it at home. Anyone out there want to buy a nice lightly used KC550??

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2016 @ 08:49 PM
chr
Joined  09-17-2013

The DXR12 came today. It is a warmer sound, with the settings at mono, HPF off, and monitor. Some of this I’m sure is the 12” speaker vs the K8.That being said, I still like the clarity of the QSC, even considering the differences. While thinking about keeping the DXR, I decided to hook it up as a left channel, and the QSC as right. My goodness, the earlier poster about stereo was spot on. The pianos sounded much much better. I was really inspired to play a while.Such a difference in the CF pianos. Is it crazy to mix cabinets that way, having the 12 as a left channel and 8 as a right? One thing I did notice was I had to crank the QSC up , and turn the DXR down for balance. I am thinking of the variety in playing different venues with either or both cabinets, mono or stereo.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2016 @ 12:16 AM
Mighty Motif Max
Total Posts:  317
Joined  04-30-2016

Yes, Stereo makes a HUGE difference in the realism of any sound, but especially piano sounds! :-)

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Many questions.....
Next Topic:

Two synths into one amp ››