mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Performance, and Midi Controller"

Posted on: October 22, 2011 @ 12:26 AM
GatesHosting
Total Posts:  59
Joined  06-18-2007

I have fooled with it, but can’t seem to get it to work. I have an MM6 (Horrible voices/tone compared to the Motif XS8).

I use performances for all songs.

I want to be able to use my MM6 via MIDI as a controller, to play one channel, or a specific voice on the Motif, like strings, or organ. How can I go about it?

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 22, 2011 @ 08:49 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

In order to do what you want to accomplish, you need to understand how the Motif XS is setup to RECEIVE MIDI data.

When in VOICE mode: The Motif XS can transmit and receive on just one Basic MIDI CHANNEL.

When in PERFORMANCE mode: the Motif XS can transmit and receive on just 1 Basic MIDI CHANNEL.

When in SONG mode and PATTERN mode: The Motif XS SEQUENCER can transmit on as many as 16 MIDI channels simultaneously from the 16 MIDI tracks. The Motif XS KEYBOARD can transmit on any one MIDI channel at a time - you select a TRACK [1]-[16] to transmit through. The Motif XS TONE ENGINE can be set to 16 different MIXING PARTS - each PART can be independently set as to MIDI RECEIVE CHANNEL, as required. Typically each PART is on a separate Channel but you can place multiple sounds on any channel as you require.

** Given this information, you can clearly see, if you want to play on the Motif XS keys playing some internal sounds, and you want to use an external controller to play some other internal XS sounds on different MIDI channels, then SONG MIXING or PATTERN MIXING is the mode you want to utilize. They allow you to set the XS tone engine so that it can receive on MULTIPLE MIDI channels simultaneously. Instead of the sequencer transmitting to a PART you are going to transmitting to some from the XS keybed, and to others with the external keyboard’s keybed, by assigning that external keyboard to the MIDI channel of the XS PART you want to play.

And just to complete the thought:

When in MASTER mode: The Motif XS MASTER program can be used to simply organize Internal XS programs from the four principal modes (Voice, Performance, Song or Pattern), such that they can be placed one after the other for easy recall in a MASTER BANK. It also can be used to associate your INTERNAL XS selection with as many as 8 EXTERNAL setups that can be sent via MIDI… making the XS a Master Keyboard Controller for INT/EXT devices.

If you associate a MASTER with an internal VOICE, then VOICE mode rules apply to how the XS behaves internally - it can recall just 1 VOICE at a time on 1 MIDI channel.
If you associate a MASTER with an internal PERFORMANCE, then PERFORMANCE mode rules apply - it can recall just 1 PEFORMANCE and all four PARTS are on 1 MIDI channel

If you associate a MASTER with a SONG MIXNG or PATTERN MIXING setup, then the rules of SONG/PATTERN mode apply - it can recall 16 separate VOICES each in a PART, each can be set to receive on any of the 16 MIDI channels as necessary, and you can transmit on as many as 8 MIDI channels OUT via MIDI.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 22, 2011 @ 11:43 AM
MarPabl
Total Posts:  560
Joined  09-08-2011

Also, read this article:
Understanding Motif XS Master Mode

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 23, 2011 @ 01:01 PM
GatesHosting
Total Posts:  59
Joined  06-18-2007

Thanks for the detailed reply. That makes sense. I will try working with Master Modes to see if that’s something I will benefit from.

In the short-term. Is there any way I can use my midi controller to control voice 4 in a performance?

Voice 1: Piano (Played by Motif)
Voice 2: Strings (Played by Motif)
Voice 3: Some other instrument (Played by Motif)
Voice 4: Hammond (Played by Midi Controller)

This would solve my immediate issue, and at least allow me to get one sound from the Motif.

Thanks again!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 23, 2011 @ 01:26 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Do not, repeat do not investigate MASTER mode, at least until after you work with SONG or PATTERN mode and learn how the PARTS work. Please read my post again - the answer is in there.

Put simply, NO - you cannot play 1 sound from an external controller while your XS is in PERFORMANCE mode. ALL PARTS of a PERFORMANCE are on the same MIDI CHANNEL.

I answered you above: you want to put the VOICES in PARTS of thw MIXING program:
Put the PARTS of the PERFORMANCE in a SONG MIXING or PATTERN MIXING setup where you can set the PARTS to any MIDI Channel as you require.

Bad Mister said:

** Given this information, you can clearly see, if you want to play on the Motif XS keys playing some internal sounds, and you want to use an external controller to play some other internal XS sounds on different MIDI channels, then SONG MIXING or PATTERN MIXING is the mode you want to utilize. They allow you to set the XS tone engine so that it can receive on MULTIPLE MIDI channels simultaneously. Instead of the sequencer transmitting to a PART you are going to transmitting to some from the XS keybed, and to others with the external keyboard’s keybed, by assigning that external keyboard to the MIDI channel of the XS PART you want to play.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 19, 2016 @ 09:41 PM
bonjehlachord
Total Posts:  1
Joined  09-19-2016

Hi, please how can I connect m audio oxygen 88 with motif xf8 and make it to play sound form the motif while the motif itself is playing another sound

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 19, 2016 @ 10:45 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Total Posts:  317
Joined  04-30-2016

Hi bonjehlachord!

To do this, first purchase a MIDI cable. Connect one end to the MIDI OUT port on the Oxygen, and connect the other end of the cable to the MIDI IN port on the Motif. Then, create a mixing. Go into song mode, select a blank song, and then press the -Mixing- button. Select one of the tracks, and choose a voice. Make sure that Parameter With Voice is set for both of the tracks (this will make it sound like the sounds do in voice mode). Select another track and choose another voice. Set the MIDI channel for each track to whatever you need. Select the track that you want to play on the Motif XF8. Then set the MIDI channel for the Oxygen to the channel that you assigned the second track to. Now, the Motif will play one sound, and the Oxygen will play another. Experiment with what you want!

Make sure to save the mixing by pressing Store and then selecting the store location, etc.

This is how I connect my midi keyboard.

Hope this helps!

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ New to MOTIF XS6/ How to record
Next Topic:

Do I need a separate MIDI interface? ››