mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Importing Files From Other Models"

Posted on: August 23, 2016 @ 02:36 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Total Posts:  317
Joined  04-30-2016

Hi! Sorry for such a varied question, but here it is. Can I import voice/performance files from the following Yamaha Synthesizers/ Keyboards to my Motif XF?

1. MX49/61
2. MOX
3. CP1
4. S90XS
5. Motif Rack XS
6. S90ES/Motif Rack ES/MO8
7. What about older synths, like the S80 or CS6X, etc.?
9. Tenori-On?? (Not that important :-) Just curious)

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 23, 2016 @ 03:47 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

You can check the XF compatibility with other synth data on page 236 of the XF Reference Manual.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 23, 2016 @ 10:25 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016

Thank you.

All that the Reference Manual lists are the XS and the ES. I already knew about these. Yet thought that I can load data from the MOXF, which is not listed.

The reason that I am asking is that I have a subscription to the Yamaha Music Production Guide and there are some nice-sounding goodies that I could get, if I knew that I could load them.

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 23, 2016 @ 11:26 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

No, you cannot LOAD MOXF Files into the XF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 24, 2016 @ 05:34 AM
jimbowal
Total Posts:  94
Joined  06-13-2014

MMM,
A lot of the free sound libraries that you can get from the Yamaha Music Production Guides are mainly samples from the various sets available from EasySounds for the different models.
ie the readme file from the MOX Sound and Groove set although some have wave or midi files included.

File Attachments
README.pdf  (File Size: 158KB - Downloads: 444)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 24, 2016 @ 10:05 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016

Is there a converter for the files? I have heard something about some tools from “Melas"(?) Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 25, 2016 @ 04:33 PM
jozsihome
Joined  11-28-2015
Mighty Motif Max - 24 August 2016 10:05 PM

Is there a converter for the files? I have heard something about some tools from “Melas"(?) Thanks!

Yes, Total Librarian piece of software of Melas tools that can convert from any MOTIF range file to the designated model you choose when purchase the software (i.e. your own instrument). Some limitations may pertain such conversions due to architecture differences and waveform/sample content.
If you are going to convert voices or other objects from time to time then it is indispensable. Better to buy in bundle than only Total Librarian module. See MELAS_SITE for details.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 25, 2016 @ 07:47 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016

convert from any MOTIF range file to the designated model

Does the Motif “range” include the s90--, the MX, the MM, the MOX, and MOXF keyboards? Thanks!

Edit: So I could take an .x5a file (MX49/61), for example, and convert it into an .x3a?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 29, 2016 @ 10:35 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016

I’m just double-checking!

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 30, 2016 @ 08:33 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Max,

Direct loading of files as you have noted is pretty limited. The XF can read some ES and XS files (also MO files which are compatible with ES). In general, newer models can natively read files from older models but not vice versa. Voices are trivial to transfer to newer instruments, performances, sequences and arp patterns not so much.

The John Melas editors allow some translation of files between different instrument formats, the quality of the transfers depends on the source and destination...translating an XF file to an MX will not be as close as translating an MX file to an XF. John calls it “best effort” at matching samples, filter types, arps, etc.

Performances and sequences (songs, patterns) are the most problematic to transfer outside of what Yamaha natively supports in the hardware. To be honest, although I own the Melas software I do not use Performances so I cannot comment about the ability to translate these.

Here’s the most important thing...when you mentioned loading an MX file into an XF I would ask WHY??? Since I used to own the ES, it was natural for me to want to load the files into my XF so I could continue to use what I had worked on for five years. The MX however is a much lesser instrument based off the XS (and the XF has everything the XS does, plus more) so I’m not understanding what would be worth loading from it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 30, 2016 @ 06:22 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016

Only because of this. See attachment image. I have a use for it.

-Max

File Attachments
Live Instruments & Performance Kit.zip  (File Size: 1206KB - Downloads: 323)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 31, 2016 @ 07:39 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Not sure how much you know about the MX.

First of all, the new voices could be translated using the John Melas software. The “performances” in the MX are more like songs and patterns in the XF, minus the sequence data (MX has no sequencer). I don’t think these can be translated to the XF even by the Melas tools, you would have to contact John and ask (and buy the software which is well worth it). The MIDI loops should be provided as SMF (.mid) which you can use in the XF sequencer or a DAW. The audio loops are provided because MX has neither sampling or sequencing. Those you can use as is in the XF sampler or a DAW since they are just WAV files.

Ok, now go look at this: Live Instruments For XF. This is the XF version though it is not free (today 39 EU equals 43.43 USD). It comes with new samples, new ARPs, 45 XF Performances. So it’s ready to go out of the box. It does have fewer voices (64 vs. 100).

I would highly recommend spending the $43 if the demos on the Easysounds site strike your fancy. I have many of the Easysounds libraries and they are excellent. If you have the Inspiration in a Flash package, you already have sounds pulled from many of them.

You can email Peter Krischker of Easysounds about the differences between the free MX and paid XF versions of the libraries. While I’m sure how would like to have you buy the XF set, he can certainly answer questions about what is different. Peter is a great guy and has been very helpful to me over the years.

EDIT: I just got an email from Easysounds that there is a 25% off sale going on, so that library would be only about $31.

Not a shill, just a satisfied customer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 31, 2016 @ 09:27 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016

Thank you. I am still planning on trying the free library, as I do not really need the Performances. We shall see about the XF version :-).

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2016 @ 08:43 AM
jimbowal
Joined  06-13-2014

Just as an aside EasySounds has 25% off sale until 10 Sep.
Also the price is further reduced (less VAT) if you live outside Europe - however the discount applies to this price ie the XF Nature of Chill @ 39.99 was 24.58 after the reduction
Will put in a plug for the Motifator/Keyfax shop too Mr Motif:)

[ Ignore ]