mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Linking Motif XS and another MIDI keyboard problem"

Posted on: July 25, 2016 @ 12:57 PM
BC
Total Posts:  53
Joined  02-23-2009

Hello,

I’m trying to link a Motif XS and another MIDI keyboard together, hoping to play the 2nd keyboard and use the Motif’s sounds.

I’ve used a MIDI cable from the 2nd keyboard MIDI out port to the Motif XS in port, and I’ve set up the two sounds I want in Song mode, and selected the correct receive and transmit channels.

My problem is when I play the 2nd keyboard, it plays the correct sound on the Motif XS, but it also plays the sound that is selected on the 2nd Keyboard. Is there a way of turning the 2nd keyboards sound off (I’ve already tried turning the volume down!), so it only uses the Motif’s sound?

The 2nd keyboard is an Yamaha PSR-400.

Thanks,

Ben.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 25, 2016 @ 01:11 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Turning the volume knob down didn’t work?

Plug something into the headphone jack.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 25, 2016 @ 02:50 PM
BC
Total Posts:  53
Joined  02-23-2009

Thanks,

I turned both keyboards off and tried everything again.

I turned the volume down on the second keyboard and it worked this time.

On closer investigation, it seems that turning the volume down on the second keyboard turns the volume down on the Motif and I had to turn the volume back up on the Motif to get it working again.

Not sure if this can be fixed or not - I suppose the MIDI cable transmits volume data as well.

Thanks for the help,

Ben.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2016 @ 12:19 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

You can set the XS to ignore incoming CC messages to song tracks to get around the volume knob problem (volume is MIDI CC #7), but this will also block any other controllers (mod wheel, pedals, etc.) sent by the PSR-400.

The MIDI filter settings are found at:

Utility -> Seq Setup -> [F2]MIDI Filter

A simpler workaround is to turn the PSR on first, turn down the volume and then turn on the XS.

[ Ignore ]