mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Recording in pattern mode with external sources, audio in, track switches …"

Posted on: June 27, 2016 @ 06:33 AM
Michiel D
Total Posts:  191
Joined  11-16-2009

Hi there, I have a question about recording in pattern mode, with different synths, adressed by a midi channel (Motif ES).

This works great, but I have an issue with recording a synth module that is adressed by a MIDI channel and the audio is connected to the ‘audio IN’ of the ES (to use the ES effects on this analogue synth module).

I record a line with the original ‘track’ switch (internal) ‘ON’.
When the track is recorded, I switch the internal track ‘OF’.
With the other synths connected, I now only hear the external synth, adressed by the MIDI (recorded track).

But with this module that I connected to ‘audio IN’, when I put the internal track ‘OF’, I still hear the internal track (default piano tones...). When I lower the volume of the track/part, I don’t hear the module anymore, but still can hear the piano notes played by the internal source (which was just turned ‘OF’).

So my question is: how can I get rid of the internal sound on the recorded track?

My second question is: when recording a track with a part that is connected to an external source (synth, NOT connected to Audio IN) ... do I have to record with the Internal track ‘ON’? And when I have recorded this first track and want to replace it, do I have to activate the Interal track/source again or can I now record with only the external track/source on?

Thanks if someone can explain !!
Kind regards, Michiel

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2016 @ 05:38 PM
Michiel D
Joined  11-16-2009

Sorry, little too fast ... the issue is there with an external synth, controlled by part 14, midi channel 14.
There’s a SY85 that I use for it’s fat drum sounds and cannot get rid of the internal part notes, even when I turn of the internal track switch ....  Maybe it’s caused by the fact that I connected the midi calbe to the SY85 when the Motif ES was already on and recording tracks in the pattern mode? (give it a new try tomorrow).

The question remains how thinks work when recording tracks (parts) that adress an external synth.
Record with the internal part/track switch ‘on’, and after recording turn the internal track/part switch ‘of’...?
Is there a tutorial on working in this configuration? Or a part in the manual? (can’t find it until now...).

Thansk for tips, info,et cetera!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 28, 2016 @ 07:57 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

The internal switch must be ON when recording. I have never understood why this is the case, but just learned it and moved on. If you don’t want to hear the internal voice while recording, create a silent voice by turning off all elements.

MIDI is MIDI, not audio. No matter what you did when recording that track it will not play the piano voice if set to internal OFF. Period. If you are hearing the piano, you must have MIDI data on some other track doing it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 29, 2016 @ 02:33 AM
Michiel D
Joined  11-16-2009

Thanks for your reply fulton! Indeed the internal switch must be on when recording. I wonder if you must do this is only the first when recording a track/part, I have experienced that after recording a track (with both internal and external switch ‘on’), when you record the track again (replace modus), the external device will be recorded, with the internal switch turned ‘of’. Not shure if this is ‘how it should work’, can’t find info on this in the manual of elsewehere…

I think the piano that could not be silneced had to do with switching midi cables while in pattern mode. I recorded some drums manually, turned off the internal switch, and could still here the two piano notes (not loud but they were there!)

More info on this issue would be appreciated! Thanks ...

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 29, 2016 @ 02:48 AM
Michiel D
Joined  11-16-2009

There is also the question if you have to set de MIDI receive channel to ‘off’ when controlling an external synth on one of the tracks/midi channels. Or is this the same as turning off the internal part switch...?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 29, 2016 @ 08:03 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

There is no reason to set a MIDI channel receive to OFF unless you have MIDI coming in over USB or a MIDI cable. It does not affect the MIDI generated by the sequencer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 30, 2016 @ 04:20 AM
Michiel D
Joined  11-16-2009

The reason was that I found this info in another threat (the manual of articles about specific issues don’t adress this one ... as far as I can see)

When in PATTERN mode, the Motif ES MIXING setup has 16 PARTS… one is assigned to each of the 16 Tracks. If you do not want a Motif ES internal sound to respond to one of the 16 tracks you can set that individual PART’s MIDI Receive Channel = OFF. By turning the receiving PART’s channel to OFF, it will mean that only the external device set to receive on that channel will receive the MIDI data coming from that Motif ES Track

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Changing midi transmit channel
Next Topic:

Changing and Saving MIDI track voices ››