mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "“Illegal file” error when trying to load 80s Pop/Rock Volume I Voice Bank for Motif XS / XF / MOXF"

Posted on: November 07, 2013 @ 07:50 AM
DHardmanJr
Total Posts:  4
Joined  11-07-2013

Hello everyone.  This is my first post, so first a little introduction.  I just purchased a MOXF6, which is my first Yamaha synth since a PortaSound MK-100 back in the 80s. After that I had both an Ensoniq SD-1 and ZR-76.  And finally a Roland Juno G which had a failed screen ... hence my switch back to Yamaha. So far so good on the MOX6, I really like it.  I’m primarily a guitarist but I learned to play the piano first, so still like to mess around with keys.

I was excited to see a Voice Bank on Motifator for 80s Pop/Rock Volume I which says that the MOXF is supported.  I downloaded the XF version and when I try to load it I see some of the sound names going by as if it is loading and then see the message “Illegal file” and it stops loading. 

Can anyone shed any light on this? 

Thanks,
Dave

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2013 @ 08:11 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Make sure you have updated your MOXF to the latest firmware, there have been two updates in the last month. Version 1.03 is the latest.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2013 @ 08:15 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

From page 63 of the MOXF Owner’s Manual:
Illegal file
The file specified for loading is unusable by this instrument or cannot be loaded in the current mode.

Are you loading the file as Type “all”? What happens if you just load Voices, using Type “all voice”?

Perhaps the MOXF is complaining about where the file wants to load Performances. The MOXF has only two Performance banks, while the XF has four. If the Voices load properly by themselves, maybe you could load Performances using Type “1BankPerform”, and make sure you direct them properly. See page 156 of the MOXF Reference Manual.

EDIT: Bad_Mister makes a good point about the OS version. You can download the OS updater here.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2013 @ 09:11 AM
DHardmanJr
Joined  11-07-2013

Thank you Bad_Mister and 5pinDIN for your quick and helpful responses!

I am on version 1.03, so I do have the latest.

I tried to load the Voices both as a bank and individually but I always get the same error.

I did contact Rick at Playkeyz and he informed me that the MOXF is not yet supported. So, the info on the motifator page for this product is incorrect in showing support for MOXF.

I was under the impression that the MOXF could load XF sound libraries so this is a bit of a disappointment.  I guess I will need to try to see if I can get a refund on the purchase.

Would anyone know if the Vintage Keys voice library would work with the MOXF?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2013 @ 09:41 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Interesting. Folks have successfully loaded XF files to the MOXF, so I’m not sure what the “not yet supported” issue is.

What is extension of the file - .X3A? What mode is the MOXF in when you attempt to load the file?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2013 @ 10:18 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

People have always had issues with this particular Library. I’ve never heard it or encountered it myself, but whatever it is, it’s been fairly consistent that there are issues with the file.  Not sure what it is - I’d recommend contacting the author about it. And let Keyfax know that there was a problem

What is unusual about this data that makes it not yet supported?
What type of file are you provided when you get this Library?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2013 @ 10:45 AM
blong5150
Total Posts:  30
Joined  05-08-2012

I actually got a MOXF6 last week and had the same issue when just attempting to update the firmware. The USB stick I was using was the Yamaha one included with the Premium collection that a vendor included. I actually had to use another USB stick to avoid the error and get the firmware to update. Even reformatting the included one with the MOXF and placed a newly downloaded firmware didn’t work.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2013 @ 10:52 AM
DHardmanJr
Joined  11-07-2013

The file is an x3a file.  I’m in “Voice” mode when I try to load it.

Is there any kind of editor that could open and edit an x3a file?  I see that the MOXF editor wants x6e files.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2013 @ 04:20 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Hello - and welcome to Motifator.com!

Appropriate MOX format data can, will and does load into the MOXF just fine. We realized, however, when looking at this that the MOX version of 80s Pop Rock had not been uploaded to the store yet. This has now been corrected and I believe anyone who experienced a problem here has already been contacted and supplied with the compatible format version. Apologies for that.

One issue that will need to be addressed with the MOXF’s compatibility with Motif XF libraries is that a library created for the Motif XF will quite often have been saved pointing its voices to User 4 bank. However, the MOXF does not have a User 4 bank. So, if you try to load an All file the ‘voice’ part of the data would appear simply to go nowhere.

There may well be a more streamlined solution (aside from there being MOXF versions of course, which will happen in due course) but what certainly does work is, when loading a sample-inclusive library, to:

1. Go ahead and load the All file…
2. Then load ‘again’ using 1Bank load and this time point the library’s User 4 to the MOXF’s User 3 bank.
3. Et Voila!

The library, now loaded into User 3 will find its relevant samples that you loaded into Flash via the All file load.

To be honest this takes a lot longer to describe than to do!

We will continue work on helping to convert all pertinent libraries of Voice, Sample and Pattern data and are also working towards producing some new video materials on the MOXF to compliment the MOX DVD/video which is 95% relevant to the MOXF.

Your patience is greatly appreciated.

MM

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2013 @ 04:51 PM
pax_eterna
Total Posts:  209
Joined  11-03-2013
MrMotif - 07 November 2013 04:20 PM

There may well be a more streamlined solution (aside from there being MOXF versions of course, which will happen in due course) but what certainly does work is, when loading a sample-inclusive library, to:

1. Go ahead and load the All file…
2. Then load ‘again’ using 1Bank load and this time point the library’s User 4 to the MOXF’s User 3 bank.
3. Et Voila!

The library, now loaded into User 3 will find its relevant samples that you loaded into Flash via the All file load.

To be honest this takes a lot longer to describe than to do!

MM

Great tip - thx!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 10, 2013 @ 01:46 PM
DHardmanJr
Joined  11-07-2013

Thanks to all who have replied to help with this.  I did receive a new file after contacting Keyfax NewMedia and I was able to load it fine.  Thank you very much!

And it helps to understand how things work with the absence of user bank 4 ... I now know how to handle potential pitfalls with other voice banks.

Thank you again!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 29, 2016 @ 09:29 PM
Regman
Total Posts:  3
Joined  05-29-2016

I have read this thread and tried loading the X3A file per the suggested instructions on my MOXF8 (Firmware V1.03) and still getting the illegal file error. Is there a way that the file that I recently purchased from PlayKeyz.com (80’s Pop/Rock Soundset Vol.1) be converted to work on my keyboard?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 29, 2016 @ 11:24 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Regman - 29 May 2016 09:29 PM

I have read this thread and tried loading the X3A file per the suggested instructions on my MOXF8 (Firmware V1.03) and still getting the illegal file error. Is there a way that the file that I recently purchased from PlayKeyz.com (80’s Pop/Rock Soundset Vol.1) be converted to work on my keyboard?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

The most recent version of the MOXF OS is 1.11. You might see if updating to it helps.

http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?site=usa.yamaha.com&category_id1=16277&product_id=1816956

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 02, 2016 @ 10:12 PM
Regman
Joined  05-29-2016
5pinDIN - 29 May 2016 11:24 PM

Welcome to the forum.

The most recent version of the MOXF OS is 1.11. You might see if updating to it helps.

http://download.yamaha.com/search/detail/?site=europe.yamaha.com&language=en&category_id1=16277&product_id=1816956&asset_file_language=EN&asset_id=62675

Will do....thanks! I’ll give this a shot.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 25, 2016 @ 03:59 PM
Regman
Joined  05-29-2016
Regman - 02 June 2016 10:12 PM
5pinDIN - 29 May 2016 11:24 PM

Welcome to the forum.

http://download.yamaha.com/search/detail/?site=europe.yamaha.com&language=en&category_id1=16277&product_id=1816956&asset_file_language=EN&asset_id=62675

Will do....thanks! I’ll give this a shot.

Ok. I have updated my MOXF8 OS to 1.11.
Soon after I tried loading 80sXF.n3.X3A file. First with the load “All” and then with the “1Bank” load. I don’t seem to understand why I still get the illegal file error.  I followed all the instructions to have the UserBank4 loaded to my keyboards Userbank3. I dont seem to get it.  Really need help here. Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 25, 2016 @ 06:46 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Regman - 25 June 2016 03:59 PM

Ok. I have updated my MOXF8 OS to 1.11.
Soon after I tried loading 80sXF.n3.X3A file. First with the load “All” and then with the “1Bank” load. I don’t seem to understand why I still get the illegal file error.  I followed all the instructions to have the UserBank4 loaded to my keyboards Userbank3. I dont seem to get it.  Really need help here. Thanks!

It should be possible to load a .X3A (XF) file into a MOXF, but there might be problems with that particular one. Playkeyz doesn’t indicate on their website that they have a version for the MOXF.

The MOX version (.X4A) should be usable with a MOXF. You might try contacting Richard Pearl,…

...explain the situation, and see if Playkeyz will send you the MOX one.

Please let us know what happens, within a reasonable time.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Request for MOXF backup
Next Topic:

Import MOTIF XF Performances to a MOXF ››