mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sample memory full message duplicating samples"

Posted on: May 03, 2016 @ 03:00 PM
blake80
Total Posts:  110
Joined  03-14-2014

Hi all,
I have been trying to load a few different voice banks into my MOXF8. I have a 1GB flash board installed and a 8GB flash drive.

I have Inspiration in a flash, Vintage Keys (DCP). From Easy sounds; Phat Analogue, Phat Analogue 2 and a few other voice banks with samples.

Every time I try to load a voice bank with samples I get the sample memory full message. Am I right in thinking I should have only loaded each voice bank that contain extra waveforms/samples once with waveforms/samples checked and then every time after that I should only load them with the with waveforms/samples unchecked?

I have just finished watching the Moxf In n out tutorial I purchased a few weeks back and Dave Polich describes how easy it is to duplicate waveforms if your not careful when loading voice banks. He then goes onto describe how to delete duplicated samples but it is very time consuming. I noticed in the Reference manual that you can optimize the Flash board.

Would this delete any duplicated waveforms and give me back some memory and get rid of the memory full message?

Thanks in advance

Blake

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2016 @ 03:27 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
blake80 - 03 May 2016 03:00 PM

...Am I right in thinking I should have only loaded each voice bank that contain extra waveforms/samples once with waveforms/samples checked and then every time after that I should only load them with the with waveforms/samples unchecked?....

Yes you are, Sample and Waveform data should be SAVED/created only one time to the Flash Board.  After that, every time you LOAD that data again creates duplicates, which only serve to prematurely fill up you Flash.

blake80 - 03 May 2016 03:00 PM

...I have just finished watching the Moxf In n out tutorial I purchased a few weeks back and Dave Polich describes how easy it is to duplicate waveforms if your not careful when loading voice banks. He then goes onto describe how to delete duplicated samples but it is very time consuming. I noticed in the Reference manual that you can optimize the Flash board.

Would this delete any duplicated waveforms and give me back some memory and get rid of the memory full message?

Deleting duplicate Sample/Waveform data is a time consuming chore...depending on how much duplication you have acquired, of course.

One recognized and viable solution is to SAVE an ALL file [With Samples] to archive, wiping your Flash board clean, and then re-installing the ALL file choosing just the data required to be LOADED into Flash.

A variation of this would be to SAVE an ALL File [Without Samples], wipe the Flash board clean, then re-install the ALL file from USB, and the original Sample Data from the Library file(s).

Optimizing the Flash will not accomplish this.  It does not alter the actual contents of the Flash board at all, it simply consolidates the data in much the same way defragmenting the hard drive of your computer does.

There is another (very good) way to accomplish this task, using the John Melas Waveform Editor.

From Bad_Mister in This Thread:

“Installing and removing data from Flash Boards is a labor intensive task. If you have 125 Waveforms you need to Delete, you might consider formatting the Board and just installing the data you want. This is easier from the standpoint of the number of button presses you need to make. Deleting one by one, does get it done, but at some point (and I think having 125 duplicates would qualify) it’s simply easier to wipe the Board and simply install just what you need

There does exist an elegant solution, the John Melas Waveform Editor and MOXF Tools make preparation of the data you like, easy. Basically you open the libraries in the computer, move the Voices into a new library window.... The editor keeps track of which Waveform go with what, and can eliminate duplicate Waveforms. Once you have the Voices, Performances, Arpeggios, Masters etc, that you like you create a File that can then be loaded into your freshly formatted Flash Board and User locations.

It makes assembling the data you wish to place in your Library File quick, efficient, and most of all, easy. It is highly recommended.”

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2016 @ 05:20 PM
blake80
Joined  03-14-2014

Cmayhle

Thank you very much for your informative answer and for giving me different ways of solving my issue with the flash board.

Thanks again

Blake

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2016 @ 12:04 PM
blake80
Joined  03-14-2014

Ok I have reformatted my 1GB Flash board and then loaded inspiration in a flash back onto the flash board.

This works perfectly so I loaded the Peter Jung Symphonic Orchestra Sounds onto the flash board. It appears to have worked but when I load the voices the samples aren’t there. In their place are what sounds like organs, sax samples instead!

I tried doing a 1BANK VOICE with samples unchecked from USER BANK 4 to USER BANK 3 as I didn’t want to duplicate the samples again as I have done previously.

I pretty sure I have the samples on the Flash Board as I have 56mb left out of 1022.5mb. I only have Peter Jung Symphonic Orchestra Sounds and inspiration in a flash loaded.

Can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong please?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2016 @ 04:24 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

To have 56 MB left out of 1022 MB suggests that you installed 966 MB of Waveforms/Samples. As far as I know, Inspiration in a Flash (IiaF) is about 480 MB, and Symphonic Orchestra (SO) is 336 MB. I don’t see how you got to 966 MB with those two - perhaps you loaded IiaF samples twice (480 x 2 = 960), and never loaded the Symphonic ones at all.

IiaF has 3 banks of Voices, while SO has one. While you can certainly load SO using 1BankVoice while Iiaf is loaded, it will overwrite whichever bank of IiaF Voices you select to load SO to. You might want to decide which of the IiaF Voices you want to keep, and organize them in two banks before loading SO.

As to the samples…
If you start with an empty/formatted 1GB flash module, you should have room to spare for both Iiaf and SO samples. Each should be loaded only once “with Sample”.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2016 @ 04:59 PM
blake80
Joined  03-14-2014

Thanks for your reply.

I had another check and have to apologize. I forgot I reloaded magical pads as well so the amount of memory used is correct.

I checked through all the samples and the PJ SO samples are there.

What I did notice when going through the PJ voices is that the samples they use are actually from Iiaf! I don’t understand why the correct samples aren’t allocated to the right voices.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2016 @ 06:53 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
blake80 - 04 May 2016 04:59 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I had another check and have to apologize. I forgot I reloaded magical pads as well so the amount of memory used is correct.

I checked through all the samples and the PJ SO samples are there.

What I did notice when going through the PJ voices is that the samples they use are actually from Iiaf! I don’t understand why the correct samples aren’t allocated to the right voices.

Thanks

You’re welcome.

What you described can happen when a library is an X3A (not X6A) and it isn’t loaded “with Waveform”. Unless there’s a new version of the SO, it’s an X3A file. See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/475863/

For Flash module loading information, see:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/moxf_flash_board
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/471884/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2016 @ 07:22 PM
blake80
Joined  03-14-2014

Thanks 5pinDIN

I appreciate your help.

I will have a look at the info you posted and I’ll get back to you.

Thanks

Blake

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2016 @ 11:31 AM
blake80
Joined  03-14-2014

Ok I read through the R Manual, read the post you gave me a link to. I then reloaded the PJ SO but this time had the waveform marker checked. Within a few minutes I got the memory full message.

So if I have to load the PJ SO voice library with waveform checked each time isn’t this going fill up my flash board. again?

I went through all the samples on the flash board and found some of the samples from the Iiaf library are doubling up and allocated to the PJ SO.

I have now reformatted the flash board again and will start from the beginning!

Man this is complicated stuff!

One more thing. Should I make a back up file to my USB stick everytime I load a new voice library?

And should I save with samples/waveforms, system etc?

I appreciate your patience with me. I was a Roland user for 28 years so Yamaha speak is still new to me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2016 @ 12:50 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

The answers to your questions depend on your expectations/usage.

With a 1 GB flash modules, you can install samples from multiple libraries, up to the 1022 MB capacity. However, Voices, Performances, etc., are a separate issue from Waveforms/Samples. The MOXF has three User banks. Loading IiaF in itself will fill those three banks. So, if you want all of the IiaF Voices to be accessible, no other Voices can be loaded at that time. If you expect all the SO Voices to be accessible, and IiaF has already been loaded, then obviously at least one bank of IiaF will have to be overwritten. Etc.

The first thing to decide is what you need to be available at any one time. Once you tell us that, we can help you determine what can be done to accomplish it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2016 @ 01:12 PM
blake80
Joined  03-14-2014

Thanks for the reply 5pinDIN.

OK I have managed to get the PJ SO voice library installed.

I am now in the process of saving an ALL file back up to my Flash drive. Is this correct procedure?

Yes I know Iinaf has 3 USER banks, that’s not my issue, just how to load voice libraries and get them to load correctly! ;-)

So just to clarify I do the following;

All motif XF voice libraries should be loaded via the ONEVOICEBANK option and with waveforms.

Once loaded I then do an ALL save to my USB drive.

Thus never having to reload the samples again from the motif XF file?

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2016 @ 07:32 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
blake80 - 05 May 2016 01:12 PM

[...] Yes I know Iinaf has 3 USER banks, that’s not my issue, just how to load voice libraries and get them to load correctly! ;-)[...]

Oh, but it is an issue.

You’re apparently missing an important aspect of this…

Getting all the samples for Iiaf and SO on the flash module is no problem, with room for still more. Again, the IiaF and SO Voices can’t all exist in the User banks at the same time.

So…
Do you want Voices from more than one of the libraries to be accessible at one time, or do you want to load the Voices for each of them separately when you want to use them? That will determine the proper procedure for loading and saving files, and until you decide, I can’t give you relevant advice. It might seem that I’m being too concerned with details, but it does matter.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2016 @ 08:16 PM
blake80
Joined  03-14-2014
5pinDIN - 05 May 2016 07:32 PM
blake80 - 05 May 2016 01:12 PM

[...] Yes I know Iinaf has 3 USER banks, that’s not my issue, just how to load voice libraries and get them to load correctly! ;-)[...]

Oh, but it is an issue.

You’re apparently missing an important aspect of this…

Getting all the samples for Iiaf and SO on the flash module is no problem, with room for still more. Again, the IiaF and SO Voices can’t all exist in the User banks at the same time.

So…
Do you want Voices from more than one of the libraries to be accessible at one time, or do you want to load the Voices for each of them separately when you want to use them? That will determine the proper procedure for loading and saving files, and until you decide, I can’t give you relevant advice. It might seem that I’m being too concerned with details, but it does matter.

Ideally I want to go through all the voices and make 3 USER BANKS out of all the voice libraries I have.

IIAF
PJ SO
PHAT ANALOG 2
MAGICAL PADS

All 4 voice libraries have wave/form samples and I know I wont get them all on my 1GB card. At the moment I have loaded IIAF, PJ SO and MAGICAL PADS and I’m left with 50mb to spare so PHAT ANALOG won’t fit.

I did have a go at deleting samples earlier and it seems to take forever for each sample to be deleted. So I just reformatted the card.

I know I will have to delete individual samples though as the hassle and time wasted getting IIAF, MAGICAL PADS and PJ SO on the card took a long time. So to get PHAT ANALOG on I should only have to delete maybe 20-30 samples which I have resigned myself to.

Thanks for getting back to me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2016 @ 10:12 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

OK, I’m glad that you’ve determined an approach that will satisfy your needs.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Wireless LAN connection to iOS apps
Next Topic:

Proper Timings ››