mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Why do the Drums in the ARPs sound different?"

Posted on: April 24, 2016 @ 12:48 AM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

Hi everyone, I hope all has been well for all of you :)

Why do the Drum ARPs sound like a different Kit is being used depending on the ARP, even though the Voice in the Performance says it’s the same Kit?

Thanks,

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2016 @ 09:30 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Possibly due to velocity switching. Many drum Waveforms are velocity switched, and different Arps can “hit” at various velocity levels. Try playing the affected keys manually with a range of velocities, and see if you hear differences.

If that doesn’t seem to fit what you’re hearing, then please provide some details. Which kit(s), which Arps?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2016 @ 10:23 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Hi 5pinDIN, long time no talk to :)

So can I make an ARP hit at a different velocity, and if so, how do I do that?

Thanks!

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2016 @ 11:05 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jerrydpi - 24 April 2016 10:23 AM

So can I make an ARP hit at a different velocity, and if so, how do I do that?

Note velocity is part of the Arp data, but you can influence it if desired.
See “Velocity Mode” information in
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/arpeggios_explored_part_i

If you’ve recorded notes produced by an Arp to the MOXF sequencer, you can edit velocities via the Event List. You could even “Put Track To Arpeggio” after modifying it to your liking, so you have something to reuse another time.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2016 @ 11:34 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Would it be better to change the lower velocity ARP in it’s original form or to record it (and the higher velocity ARP) and change it in the Sequencer to match the ARP that naturally has a higher velocity?

In this specific instance, it’s the ARP fill that has the noticeably lower velocity than the main groove ARP.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2016 @ 12:52 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jerrydpi - 24 April 2016 11:34 AM

Would it be better to change the lower velocity ARP in it’s original form or to record it (and the higher velocity ARP) and change it in the Sequencer to match the ARP that naturally has a higher velocity?

In this specific instance, it’s the ARP fill that has the noticeably lower velocity than the main groove ARP.

I think that falls into the category of whatever works for you and/or requires less effort. I’d probably edit sequencer events if there weren’t too many that needed to be changed, and especially if it was a “one time” situation.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2016 @ 03:08 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

On this one and only particular song, the Intro/Verse/Chorus/Outro groove is fine, it’s just one fill I’d like to give more velocity/edge to.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2016 @ 12:55 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Another thing that can radically change the sound of voices (not just drums) in a Performance is how the effects are programmed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2016 @ 02:37 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012
meatballfulton - 25 April 2016 12:55 PM

Another thing that can radically change the sound of voices (not just drums) in a Performance is how the effects are programmed.

Hello to you too meatballfulton :)

I’ll check that as well.

5pinDIN gave me a link that is pretty deep :)

The most I’ve ever tried to change an ARP’s velocity is by using the ARP Edit button, going to the Type Page and then changing the VeloRateOfs to a higher amount.

Nice to hear from you again!

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 26, 2016 @ 06:52 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012
5pinDIN - 24 April 2016 09:30 AM

Possibly due to velocity switching. Many drum Waveforms are velocity switched, and different Arps can “hit” at various velocity levels. Try playing the affected keys manually with a range of velocities, and see if you hear differences.

If that doesn’t seem to fit what you’re hearing, then please provide some details. Which kit(s), which Arps?

Here’s the first example:

ARP 5557 [MA2_R&B;Ballad 2]
Subcategory R&B;M

ARP 5556 [FD1_R&B;Ballad 2]
Subcategory R&B;M

You can pick any Kit, but try DRY Standard Kit (PDR A04) or Power Standard Kit 1 (PDR A01) or Brush KIt (PDR 022)

Thanks,

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 27, 2016 @ 10:26 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jerrydpi - 26 April 2016 06:52 PM

Here’s the first example:

ARP 5557 [MA2_R&B;Ballad 2]
Subcategory R&B;M

ARP 5556 [FD1_R&B;Ballad 2]
Subcategory R&B;M

You can pick any Kit, but try DRY Standard Kit (PDR A04) or Power Standard Kit 1 (PDR A01) or Brush KIt (PDR 022)

See the Arpeggio Type List on page 81 of the MOXF Data List, right-hand column. Note that Voice Type for #5556 is listed as “Hip Hop Kit 2”, while #5557 is “Hip Hop Kit 1”. Also see the assignments for those two kits on page 15.

You’ve chosen Arps meant to work with two different kits, those kits have significantly different assignments, and you’re applying the Arps to yet other kits.

You don’t necessarily have to follow information in the MOXF Data List, but it’s sometimes a good idea to consult it. I haven’t checked, but see if fill FD2_R&B;Ballad 2 (Arp #5564) or one of the other fills listed for Hip Hop Kit 1 is a better match.

Also, the results might be better if Arps are chosen where the Voice Type in the Data List matches the kit you’re using.

Are we having fun?  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 27, 2016 @ 07:18 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

By the way, if a drum Waveform name ends in something like “1-4St”, that indicates its a Stereo sample with velocity layers 1 through 4. Drum kits having different assignments than were anticipated for an Arp might sound “wrong” when a velocity switch changes the sound significantly.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 29, 2016 @ 04:20 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

I have been down this path, too. (On the MOX, but I assume it’s the same.)

There are multiple snare drums in most kits. Also multiple bass drums, etc. I copied the two arps that were sounding different (though using the same PreSet kit) and came to realize that it was NOT about Velocity, but that the snare on that riff/arp was the “other” snare drum. So I went into the MIDI events, changed all of the snares events to match. And then, of course, I had to SAVE the tweaked arp as a User Arp and reassign it in my Arp 1-6. It would be nice if there was a quick way to do this without having to go into the Song/Pattern sequencer, record the arp, re-edit it, use Put Song to Arp JOB.
a
I’m thinking that a partial solution would be to create a User Drum Kit that, instead of having “extra” snares and bass drums, I would have assigned the same snare or bass drum Voice to any and all snares, any and all bass drums. And when the various Arps played via that User Drum Kit, no matter if the note was B1, or Bb1, or whatever, it’s sounding as the same single snare. If that makes any sense.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Dead Screen
Next Topic:

Getting the terminology right between the MOXF and the Motif Rack XS ››