mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Ethernet with Mac OS 10.11 El Capitan"

Posted on: April 23, 2016 @ 09:09 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Just curious if anyone is running El Capitan has been able to use the Ethernet connection to your XF.

I have had this working fine with 10.7 Lion for years. I’m trying out El Capitan and checking to see what works and what does not. Even though the Sharing settings are the same regardless of which partition I boot from, I can’t connect.

Last thing that Bad Mister wrote over at Yamahsynth.com on the subject was that Samba on Mac is “squirrely” and he stopped using Ethernet after upgrading from Lion.

I’m an engineer in the computer business and I am sick of features breaking with OS changes, there really is no excuse.

Now I get to decide to keep the Mac at 10.7 or go back to using USB file storage and update the Mac to 10.11.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2016 @ 10:03 AM
Mantra
Total Posts:  51
Joined  10-05-2011

Hi

I got it going with yosemite using SMBup.

Apple didn’t stop supporting SMB, in fact they started supporting it directly, just very poorly !! Its explained at these links http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/23/inside_mac_os_x_10_7_lion_server_apple_replaces_samba_for_windows_networking_services and http://www.tweaking4all.com/os-tips-and-tricks/macosx-tips-and-tricks/smbup-mac-os-x-smb-fix/ along with how to reinstate the open source SAMBA implementation that was used before.

Prior to installing this, I could get the mac to see the motif and attached usb, but the motif could not see the mac hard drive. Now it works in both directions.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2016 @ 10:18 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

How difficult was it for you to set up SMBup? Anything in particular I should know about?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 26, 2016 @ 01:33 AM
Mantra
Total Posts:  51
Joined  10-05-2011

I followed the instructions from the site, but I guess fundamentally its a bit niggly, you have to fiddle with users, permissions and stuff and sort of “massage” it until it works! I think it took me about 1.5 hours to get all going properly. Really Apple should be fixing their SMB implementation so perhaps the best action is to put pressure on them to do so !!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Invert L/R channels
Next Topic:

Should I carry on with FireWire on my XF8 or go back to USB? ››